Libya: Seriously, where is this going?

sorry for the fact that ı am so much given to empty rant . Sincerely hope at least ı am entertaining .

yet another proof for this idiotic poster that the Arabian Springs are seriously mixed up and all end upon the same in/out boxes on the same table . Syria seems an unnecessary burden in the face of ongoing problems - especially in Libya - and pronto the Rebels capture Brega with NATO air support . You are kidding me , right ?

regarding the humanitarian catastrophe , it seems strategy sites are full of pro-democracy demonstrators on how they killed 46 of the monkeys in return for two heroes and countries south of Syria are full of fire in the belly to bring justice to ... We even hear the Saudi King is now the "Messenger of God " . Does mainstream Western media report such things ? Okay , now that they have God on their side , nobody needs the stinking Turkish army .

does mainstream Western media report such things ? Our surely does not , not even the anti Goverment types . And the army ? Let me see , last night a gas pipeline was blown up and in another province , the seperatists had road blocks where they confiscated ID cards . You know it is a different country now . All within a kilometre of military outposts . Patrolling in the foreign country is now reported to be frowned upon as it leads to clashes . And Army must surely be needed elsewhere .

what do ı do ? Yeah , what do ı do ? Hadn't ı been banned from strategy sites , ı would have been in a beautiful demonstration of my Schizoid personality . Banging the hairy chest test and posting a thread named Test it again Sam . Reporting how it got the good old phaser on the lips and all . Come on uncle we have a space-battle to fight , somewhere between 2030 and 2050 .

western media reports , the mighty Tımes itself , that we don't shy from using military power , just like 1999 . But my dear lords in the British decision making process , you are surely mistaken by the date . In 1999 , the Syrians had already kicked out the seperatist leader and the plans were only against Greece and the residence of the D'Allema , the Italian PM . Whatever , we are supposed to have given 20days or so to the Syrians to end their criminal acts . Yeah , indeed the long stated ideal of Turkey becoming the little America has been realised , we wait the end of Ramadan to invade Arab countries . Let the friends of US do it by themselves .

Spoiler :
HO HO HELL NO
WE WON'T GO

yeah , ı think planning for BOP is now a court martial offense .

Didn't they claim something like that months ago?

I don't think the front-line was ever as close to Tripoli as Gharyan and Az-Zawiyah. I do recall that some of those places rose up in demonstrations during the first week but we're badly crushed by Gaddafi forces.

Basically, he's has been steadily but slowly losing ground for the past few months and hasn't been able to recapture any of it (in contrast to the first couple of months of the war). The rebels have been attacking on three+ fronts simultaneously and the Western rebels are doing a heck of a job trying to isolate him from everything West of Tripoli.

I don't think the front-line was ever as close to Tripoli as Gharyan and Az-Zawiyah. I do recall that some of those places rose up in demonstrations during the first week but we're badly crushed by Gaddafi forces.

Basically, he's has been steadily but slowly losing ground for the past few months and hasn't been able to recapture any of it (in contrast to the first couple of months of the war). The rebels have been attacking on three+ fronts simultaneously and the Western rebels are doing a heck of a job trying to isolate him from everything West of Tripoli.

Hm. I am wondering what's the plan for Tripoli. A siege and an assault would be immensely destructive. Which is why I call for a direct Western intervention there.

Taking what form, exactly?

I spoke about that before in this thread.

Land troops, seize Tripoli in a lightning offensive. The rebels are too badly trained and disorganized to do that, so unless the regime collapses on its own, they'll have to mount a siege. Imagine how destructive it will be - something tells me Qaddafi wants to go out in a blaze of glory.

I spoke about that before in this thread.

Land troops, seize Tripoli in a lightning offensive. The rebels are too badly trained and disorganized to do that, so unless the regime collapses on its own, they'll have to mount a siege. Imagine how destructive it will be - something tells me Qaddafi wants to go out in a blaze of glory.

How many troops would that take? Imagine it went wrong! I would have thought the lessons of Iraq had been learned... this is the sort of things that has to be meticulously planned, as does the aftermath.

How many troops would that take? Imagine it went wrong! I would have thought the lessons of Iraq had been learned... this is the sort of things that has to be meticulously planned, as does the aftermath.

I am not calling for an occupation of Libya. Just storm the capital, arrest/kill/chase out Gaddafi, and hand control to the rebels when they get there. Use of Western troops would minimize civilian casualties. Prolonged rebel siege will maximize them.

But first, we should finally authorize strikes against Gaddafi in person. Killing him would probably bring the war to a swift conclusion.

But first, we should finally authorize strikes against Gaddafi in person. Killing him would probably bring the war to a swift conclusion.

I don't know, dude's one resourceful dude. Might already have that base covered.

Yeah, I don't give it much chance either. There were opportunities early on, but NATO was afraid of doing it. Misplaced restraint if you ask me.
Assasinating leaders, whether they are nice to us or not, doesn't really sit well with the citizens of that country.

Assasinating leaders, whether they are nice to us or not, doesn't really sit well with the citizens of that country.

You mean those that are chanting "Death to Gaddafi", or those who would chant that if they weren't watched by his militias and secret police?

Which is better - kill the dictator and some semi-innocent people around him, or allow a long civil war in which thousands will perish and the country's infrastructure and economy will be ruined?

Just because they want the leader dead doesn't mean they want a foreign power doing it. Given our history of ejecting leaders we don't like and setting up our sordid little dictators in the Middle East, I don't think doing the same to Gaddafi would endear the populance to their new leaders.

If the Western rebels do hold on to their gains in Zawiyah, Tripoli becomes cut off from food and fuel coming in from Tunisia. That effectively puts it under a state of siege. The same western rebels also managed to blow up an oil pipeline going to Tripoli about week ago, with the result that there are now reports of massive blackouts occuring all over the capital. So, could get interesting if the Tripolitanians start their own bread riots with the rebels just outside the city.

The US isn't in the assassinating leaders business anymore

Top Bottom