1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

'Liking' Posts is Now PDMA: A Discussion

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Synsensa, Jan 31, 2018.

1. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam GiftOfNukes

After Pdox devs got slapped by dislikes on certain moderator actions they simply removed the ability to like/dislike moderated posts outright. Is that not feasible in a technical sense on CFC?

In this case the post itself is quite likely scrubbed, and the like with it. Even in this instance, the like is not the same as writing out the words. It could even conceivably be accidental (I have liked random posts accidentally a few times when clicking between tabs. Flaming is rare, so these were just arbitrary posts, but still). This forum isn't in the habit of leaving pure flame posts around anyway, so surely the potential for this shouldn't be a serious consideration when it comes to enforcing/moderator actions.

Regardless, liking a flame post is presumably *not* the same thing as liking a moderator post and would not fall under PDMA anyway (let's hope CFC is never at such a level anyway :p). The biggest potential problem with liking a moderator post is when someone you were arguing with gets a moderator action on them --> poster likes that moderator post. That's kind of childish, but is it worth the work to globally police over it?

2. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

as for the technical side I have no idea if it is possible to merely remove likes from mod action posts (could be possible to remove likes from moderators as they are defined by user groups - but that would do nothing with regards to posts we edit our actions in - also of course it would deprive everyone of the ability to like the generally awesome and helpful and whatnot posts that moderators post when not doing anything official ;).

Anyways in the post you quoted I tried to describe atleast some of the reasoning that would lead us to such a policy and some of the problems we face with interpreting the like system. My personal view (and this now does not reflect site policy as it is right now) is that absent some rather obvious misuses of the like system (which I can envision in theory but would then deal with as breaking general site rules, or in OT the "don't be a jerk rule", without the need for a public policy on anything), interpreting likes one way or another is a fool's errant and they should really be simply ignored with respect to site policy (be that PDMA or other rules).

3. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

I don't think it's possible natively on Xenforo. However, I'm not familiar with the back-end at all. Paradox likely employs a suite that expands on the 'like' system to a far greater degree than the software usually supports. This likely costs money, either to maintain or develop (if they got it custom-made). I don't know the specifics behind it as I haven't looked into it so what I'm saying could be woefully incorrect.

Conceivably, it's possible to make it so that any post with a mod tag removes the ability for the post to be liked. It's possible from a technical standpoint. Whether or not that's feasible/viable to actually incorporate is something else. If it's something Paradox got developed for their forums privately, the cost would be exorbitant for CFC to emulate or borrow.

4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Why should they be unsigned? If we're accountable for our arguments, let specific staff members be accountable for theirs.

The problem with the "don't be a jerk" rule is that it's far too vague. I've seen plenty of jerk behavior that goes undealt-with, even after detailed explanations as to why the post falls into the category of a "jerk post."

5. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam GiftOfNukes

Fair enough. I was wondering if it's an easy option and it looks like the answer to that is "no".

Yeah, there's a ton of room for bias to crop up in how such a rule is moderated, even unintentional bias would be expected so long as the moderator is human.

6. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

I actually agree that that particular rule is not terribly fleshed out and this reminds me to bump an internal discussion I started a couple months ago on that point - lets say I expect some more explanation about what it means to come along soonish. That said hard and fast rules are not terribly good for forum moderation with the exception of things that are essentially binary (spam, banned words/phrases, some flaming rules) and problematic behavior will almost always be context dependent and frankly any moderator action on that will also be user dependent as we do treat repeat offenders differently than those that generally have fine posts so some or even a lot of leeway for moderators is actually a good thing in my view - in cases of problematic moderator actions users should appeal any warnings and we do discuss those as well as reported posts in which opinions differ quite a bit which does edge us towards a commonish approach on moderation. I think what OT moderation suffers from more than lack of reasonably clear guidance is lack of moderation in that moderation time has been limited in the past and not all problematic behavior was acted upon as it was simply not seen. We did make the conscious choice to allow standards of civility to be less strictly enforced in OT than in all other parts of this forum but the lesser enforcement standards then slipped a bit for lack of moderator activity.

shadowplay, Birdjaguar and Synsensa like this.
  7. Zack

Zack poppin bottles

Is thinking about moderator activity still allowed?