LK148 - WM, farewell to Greece

Looks like we have about 8 towns without defenders. Not as many as I was expecting.
Trust me, if was a lot worse at the start of my set. I had already built a lot of muskets, and already had some moving to Siberia.

Just like I had some workers well into Siberia to fix the road net.

ROSTER:
LKendter
Todd Marshall (just played)
Greebley (up)
CKS (on deck)

ell it looks good now. I did have a couple of anxious moments, as China has some spare units wandering around our lands (doing what, I have no idea, as they have our map now) and I had to cover cities with knights, but really, we were in pretty good shape when I got it, and I think we're ready to bust some heads now.

One thing I should have done more of: skim workers off size 12 full food cities. Rails are comming, possibly in the next turnset... we need more workers.

Preturn: Looks good. Move a few units and switch some of the farthest towns to Workers. We have only 25 so I agree we want to start increasing for the upcoming Rails.

IBT: Some more civs start (or switch) Smiths.

1160 AD: Declare war on Babylon.

In Northern Siberia we have 2 Armies. We easily capture Carchemish guarded by Spears.

We also capture Eridu with other armies. I send one around to where Athens is. I don't think its necessary, but huge stacks in that area could mean trouble for some of our best towns, so its insurance.

We lose a Cavarly against a 2 hp Pike while cleaning up spare units. Several Elite attacks but no leader.

Babylon has a mix of Muskets and Pike despite their Saltpeter not being connected - they may be trading for it.

I don't advance anywhere else. I will react to what Babylon sends at us and have the armies work their way around from east to south-west and the peninsula.

IBT: Not much movement yet. A Bowman pillages a square near Eridu and the units near Eridu advance.
Newtons has been started. Looks like Magnetism was the right choice. I just hope we can get it before the AI. The AI also has Democracy and both have been highly traded.

1170 AD: Near Eridu, one army starts on Ashur killing a Musket, the MDI Army kills pikes, and the final Army heals. I split up the armies in Siberia with the towns having only spears (no roads). Attack a Spear in Izbia

While cleaning up units near Eridu, we lose an Elite Knight vs a 2 hp MDI.

We also gain a leader and build our first Cav army (not filled yet) and 7th overall.

IBT: Babylon sends a single unit from its main territory at us.

1180 AD Capture Izbia in Siberia and Ashur to the south. Cav army has gone around now and is filled. It can attack near Athens next turn.

IBT: Nothing from Babylon again.

1190 AD: Cav Army moves next to Akkad along with a Knight Army and some Cavalry
We are getting Magnetism next turn. Nobody has it yet, but our getting it reduces the cost for the AI who goes after us and who can then trade first. 2 MDI spotted.

IBT: The two MDI Advance and a Long Bow joins them. We finally get the dreaded initial rush of units.

1200 AD: We got Magnetism first. India will pay a paltry price for it but China will pay a lot. I think India was researching it.
We get TOG, 1243 gold and 170 gpt from China for Magnetism. For our free tech we get Medicine

Trade Magnetism for 99 gpt and small change to India.

Persia will only trade Economics as they have no cash. I think about it because they might get Steam Power, but that is only 1/3 chance. If they get Nationalism, then it will cost a lot even with Medicine, and if they get Medicine, its useless. I decide not to do any trade with them.

We can get Silks and Economics from the Sioux so we do that one too.

Also do minor trades for old techs.

Cav Army captures Akkad. In Siberia we raze Sippar. It is past Chinese and Persian cities so not worth trying to defend.

Our units near Dephi and Ashur meet up and start moving on the Capital and Eulbar.

Steam Power in 13 turns. We are at 100% sicience and 382 gpt.

Kill off the initial rush of units.

IBT: Babylon seems spent after that last stack. Nothing is coming our way.

1210 AD: Eulbar falls easily despite being on a hill. Babylon has a few more units but also falls.

Babylon has one city on the coast in Africa. Would like to destroy that as well to eliminate them.

1220 AD: Attack Nineveh but not enoug troops to capture it. Killed two lost units.

1230 AD: Nineveh Captured.Samaria Attacked.

IBT: JSB Completes.

1240 AD: Samarra Captured.

IBT: Smith and Newton are completed

1250 AD: We lost our Monopoly on Medicine when Persia went to the next age. India also has it. I am going to sell it for what I can get to those that still don't have it.

China will give us 287 gpt + small change for it. If twe threw in Saltpeter and gems we could get the rest of their gpt (62)
Trade for other except Persia.

Notes:
Our Cavalry Army healed this turn. It will get two attacks against the last reachable Babylon city which may take it out.
I have been prepping for a Persian war next. Armies and units are on the borders (may be fortified)

A ROP with Egypt to take out the last Babylon town and later the African Persian ones might be a good idea. I think Persia, China, India, Mongols will not be completed in 20 turns even with rails for the 2nd half. We could also rush Boats and get to the last town that way. I think it worth removing flip threat.

With China giving us big gpt, I would go for Persia first, then India and the Mongols.

I feel we are ready to attak Persia next turn even if we don't take the Babylon city that turn. One Cavalry army can clear out the Babylon town and then the Persian one. The rest is owned by Egypt.

I am not sure why the 850 AD picture in your post?

I am curious why Persia next? I was thinking Egypt, and taking over all of Africa. Songhai and Zulu should collapse fast.

ROSTER:
LKendter (on deck)
Todd Marshall (just played)
Greebley
CKS (up)

Not so sure the Zulu will be easy pickings this game relative to other AIs. At the start of the Russian war, they were the only other civ outside of the Americas that our general considered our military equal, and IIRC they are mostly if not completely caught up in tech. They might even have Rifles before we get there. Songhai are also not behind in tech. The only civ on our landmass that is really behind is Mongolia.

I'm fine with whoever next, but, Songhai are paying us money, and I don't think we are getting any money from Persia. In fact, we were paying them money for the Physics deal... I THINK that deal should expire next turn, but we might want to make sure so as not to bust our rep.

The biggest case I would make for Persia is, watching the trading and who gets what when, I think Persia is the #2 AI researcher behind China, who is currently too useful to kill, and getting them out of the way should slow overall AI tech progress. Egypt is usually a few turns late getting techs, so while they are in the hunt, they are not driving the AI tech pace.

A downside of Persia next is they have more islands I think, and our navy is...

Given the choice, I'd vote Persia, but I don't care enough to be upset either way.

My Modus operandi for getting rid of these last cities would be to sign in Zulu and have them take care of it. If you do so from the start of the war, they have managed to do so when you are finished too.

I've got the save. I'm also leaning toward Persia next, but I haven't had much chance to look at the save.

I won't be playing today, but I may be able to look at things.

Egypt would also work fine. The 2 Armies from Siberia reached Persia much more easily and we have a natural choke point for Egypt, so Persia was the one I chose. We can still go for Egypt, but it will take a few turns for the armies to get there.

I fixed the image - we now are pointed to the right one. It was a photoshop snafu and looked close enough to what I expected that I didn't check closely.

My Modus operandi for getting rid of these last cities would be to sign in Zulu and have them take care of it. If you do so from the start of the war, they have managed to do so when you are finished too.

Ya, this can be a good strategy. I don't use it as much as I could - I tend to avoid deals with the AI so I can attack them freely. I think it is a result of 'Honor Deals', style of play - most games I play follow this. In this case it probably is better than the ROP, as we don't have to send an Army. My first thought was doing it ourselves with a boat and no commitment, but in this case we can afford a 20 turn deal.

I don't have a strong preference either. I forget who said it, but hurting one of the top tech civs with Persia is ok with me.

Greebley brings up a good point on choking Egypt. They would have a hard time getting through us and are less of a threat.

There is one pain with Persia and Egypt. Neither of them will go easily, as they are the civs that tend to grab the islands in the Pacific.

Seeing as rails are only 8 turns away, can we please built a lot more workers. Rails are where the game really breaks for the human player. Those former Babylon cities should be building workers until Babylon is dead to reduce flip risk. Size 12 cities should peal them off. With the amount of cash we have, I would be happy to spend some of that rushed workers in corrupt towns.

Last time I had the game we were really short (pre-rails) of workers. The main reason I didn't build more was lack of defenders. Once we have rails we don't have to worry about defenders for non-coastal cities.

Yeah, I'm the one who suggested hurting Persia would be good for slowing the AI tech pace, but mostly I wanted to agree about workers. I mentioned above that I wished I'd peeled more of them off the size 12 cities on my turn, but was a little overly focused on building units for the war. We do really need workers, however we can get them, at this point.

Ya, this can be a good strategy. I don't use it as much as I could - I tend to avoid deals with the AI so I can attack them freely. I think it is a result of 'Honor Deals', style of play - most games I play follow this. In this case it probably is better than the ROP, as we don't have to send an Army. My first thought was doing it ourselves with a boat and no commitment, but in this case we can afford a 20 turn deal.

I dont think there is a realistic chance you need to break that deal. In order to reach the zulu, you have to kill all of egypt and preferably Songhai, which will A) take a few turns, and B) with egypt gone, you can easily take out the last babylonian city before attacking zulu and thereby ending the alliance.

I built some workers on my turn. We started with 25 which is pretty low. We should have around double that now - maybe a bit less and as you state we need more.

One thing we now have which I didn't - is a lot of gold. I think we can rush workers in 1-2 shield towns every other turn for 36/32 gold. The towns that can flip are a good choice for this.

I was building workers in size 12 towns and building Granaries to allow more population for worker generation.

Coal will be connected soon. Persia's core is nearly gone.

Turn 0: Hire some scientists.
IBT: Military academy completes.

Turn 1: Trade maps. Take Shurrupak. Declare on Persia. Ally Zulu against Babylon and Persia for 23 gpt. Trade Australia engineering and wines for spices.
Kill immortals. Upgrade E* knight.
At Sidon: Army kills musket. Cav dies. Cav kills musket.
At Ergili: Cav kills musket, 2 cavs retreat.
Advance.
IBT: Lose a cav, kill a knight.

Turn 2:
Send settler toward Greenland. Start some boats.
Kill 2 muskets, take Sidon.
Kill 2 muskets, 2 Immortals, take Sardis.
Kill musket, Immortals near Dariush Kabir.
Kill 3 muskets at Istakhr.
Kill 2 muskets at Ghulaman.
IBT: 2 cavs retreat.

Turn 3:
Kill 2 muskets, Immortals, take Dariush Kabir, kill a boat.
Kill longbow, musket at Ergili.
Rest armies.
IBT: Zulu allies India vs. Babs. China and India learn military tradition.

Turn 4:
Kill musket, take Istakhr.
Kill lots of loose units. Lose 4/4 cav to 1/4 Immortals. 16/17 knight army redlines vs musket.
IBT: Lose a cav, kill a knight and get a leader.

Turn 5:
Kill musket, cav, take Ergili. Lose 2 cavs to the cav.
IBT: Knight and Immortals suicide at Istakhr. Cav appears, kills cav. Lose redlined knight army to knight.

Turn 6:
Kill 2 muskets, take Pasagardae.
IBT: Learn steam power. Lose a knight.

Turn 7:
We have coal, but it is inconveniently located and not roaded. Persia has unroaded coal nearby, too.
Kill a musket, take Ghulaman.
Bomb Bactra, kill 3 muskets, gain a leader, take city.
Kill musket at Hamadan.
IBT: Immortals dies to knight.

Turn 8:
Kill 2 muskets, take Hamadan.
Kill musket, take settler.
Kill 2 muskets, take Zohak.
Kill 4 muskets, take Persepolis.

Turn 9:
Kill 3 muskets, 1 cav taking Tyre.

Turn 10:
Kill 3 muskets, take Gordium.
Kill 1 musket at Antioch.

Attachments

• LK148_AD1300.SAV
    776 KB · Views: 52
ROSTER:
LKendter (up)
Todd Marshall (on deck)
Greebley
CKS (just played)

1300 AD (0)
I read CKS log, and have no idea why I have a bunch of unmoved units.

I am going to work on getting our workers consolidated. We have a ton of small stacks. I want to get a thin rail-net ASAP, and that needs large stacks. I am rushing as many workers as I can planning for the coal connection.

All these Indian troops through our land is a royal pain.
(IT) We also have too many Chinese troops running through our lands. Add Mongolia to that list. The Asian civs are being a royal pain right now.
The Zulu build Shakespeare Theater.

1305 AD (1)
(IT) Persia attacks a city in Siberia. We were lucky to hold it. I didn't even see the unit buried with all the Chinese stacks.
Tyre flips to the Persians, and we just lost a cavalry army that was passing through. :(
This is another reason I can't wait for a rail net. The risk of this type of loss drop as the army would have moved further.

1310 AD (2)
I've been working on the railroad...
Tyre is recovered.
Samaria is captured with 1 cannon.

1315 AD (3)
I didn't realize how many cities Persia has on the opposite side of China. This war won't end anytime soon.

1320 AD (4)
Antoich is captured, and that clears out the Persian cities near us.

1325 AD (5)
(IT) The Songhai wipe out Babylon. :dance:
It looks like the Asian civs are turning their troops around.
I tell the Sioux to shove it. They aren't getting steam power for free.

1335 AD (7)
(IT) China and Persia trade embargo us.

1345 AD (9)
(IT) Persia and Zululand get friendly.

Summary:
I've been cheap rushing (at least 1 shield in the box) workers in our corrupt Siberian cities the second they will grown to size two. I want at least a thin rail net done before we start another war.

Once the rail net is down we can start removing defenders from interior cities toward the front, and where to many AI units are. The Baltic Sea cites can be stripped as we should have warning of AI ships entering near Denmark.

Another settler is heading toward Greenland.

I've intentionally avoided trading steam power. The longer we can have the lead we can have with building a railnet, the stronger we get vs. the AIs.

ROSTER:
LKendter (just played)
Todd Marshall (up)
Greebley (on deck)
CKS

I see that I'm up. I should have a turn posted by Tuesday night.

FYI I might need a skip NEXT TIME around. Being back to work full time is really exhausting me right now (too much too soon I guess), and I have to work an extra day next (not this) week on top of it, so I might just need my rest.

Started earlier. Too tired to finish tonite, will finish tomorrow.

Hi Guys,

looks like the save where I started my parallel play, still had VP Scoring turned on.

So in 1060 AD I won on Victory Points. As turns have become too tedious already I probably wont fix this and continue playing.

If you are interested I can post my 1000AD Summary now or later.

Top Bottom