1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK148 - WM, farewell to Greece

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Jan 29, 2013.

1. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

Since we haven't heard any thing from Todd - got it.

I can't start playing until Sunday night, so Todd is free to swap until then.

2. LKendter

I will start playing tonight. The crazy weekend is over. I will be posting tomorrow up to 10 turns depending on how much I can get done. After that, I hit another block of overbooked days.

3. LKendter

1550 AD (0)
    During the city review I upgrade our vet rifles to infantry.

Some of the Egyptian cities are absurd to excess food like Thebes. We need workers fixing these cities.

CKS and I have a lot different worker style. I hate lone workers this late in the game. Hopefully I can get good stacks quick enough.

I suspect it is due to playing at emperor, but I still can't believe some things in this game. Australia is a joke this game. I'd like to do a rarity and invade them. The islands are so lightly occupied, I have no question we can get a long way to domination just in the Pacific.

At this point I'm not sure how much science matters. A lot of cities that are working on their first culture building swap to CE. We need the shields to complete a culture building faster.

I ship the Sioux corporation for $1,510 and $418/T.
    (IT) We lost a source of coal.

1555 AD (1)
    Our army dies trying to assault Tientsin.
    Lee's Rifleman is formed, and the dead army is replaced.

The AI really has done a horrid job of road building in Siberia. Worker usage is far harder then typical this late with all empty tiles.

Amiens is captured with one resistor.
    (IT) India and Brazil trade embargo ends. Do we really care? Just for Venezuela to swap positions in the embargo club.

1560 AD (2)
    Tientsin falls this time and we destroy some ships in port.
    Hyderabad is captured. This ends the oddball cities behind our lines.
    Hangchow is captured.

Now that we have range 2, hit twice bombard units, I start to upgrade our older bombards to artillery.

1565 AD (3)
    Tsingtao is captured with a bombard unit.

The lack of AI roads is causing weird effects. I'm loading up our galleons near Dacca with workers to get workers south faster. We need those southern cities connected, as they are the key launch points to wipe out Persia, and to start claiming all the empty islands in Asia.

Lee's Magic Cavalry forms another army. They are really speeding up the slog through China.
    Tureng Tepe is captured.

I get spices from Australia for techs and ivory. I doubt we will be ready to attack them before 20 turns. We still need to clean Persia off the islands, and claim the islands on the way to Australia.
    (IT) Persia declares war on the Zulu - LOL+++.
    Argentina and Venezuela get friendly.
    Sneaky rider captures a worker stack. We get screwed as China disbanded them. That was the stack to get Tureng Tepe on the road network. :(

I'm still working on it, and will post what I get done on Thursday, as this is another weekend where I can't play.

4. LKendter

1570 AD (4)
    Anyang is captured destroying some boats in port.

The wandering Chinese small infantry stack is finally next to a city, so I can reach it. Fighting in Siberia needs to wait until they pop near a road.

Dacca really needs to die. Its culture is screwing up our path to the southern cites. :(
    (IT) Aztecs and Zululand get friendly.

1575 AD (5)
    MDI Killing Rifleman arrives and creates another army. I make it a 3 cavalry army, and put it to the side for island invasions.
    Chinan is formed.

1580 AD (6)
    Ningpo is captured.
    Now I feel like something has been accomplished. ;)

This is a good stopping point, so passing the game on.

Summary:
    I've started some cites in our core on ships that are heading toward India. We really want to start claiming the islands, wipe out Persia, and hit Australia. I don't think a WM game has ever seen Australia invaded before, so I would really LOVE to do it.

I have multiple transports shuffle between France and Greenland. We may as well claim the open land. From there, I would like to claim the islands above America. The ultimate would be to park a city in America.

We really need a ton more workers. The lack of roads is killing us in Siberia. I've been dedicating a good chunk of workers to build rails. I built a couple new cities in Siberia, and I am working on rails to the next spots. Plus a lot of former Egypt is pretty good for corruption, so we want these cities to grow.

We can finally take India out now that the Chinese troops are gone.

Sparta is on all army duty at this point.

We are up to 35% land, and still have a lot of cultural buildings coming on-line in Africa; In addition, we gained more in Greenland and Siberia during this set.

ROSTER:
    LKendter (just played)
    Todd Marshall (skipped)
    Greebley (up)
    CKS (on deck)

5. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I will be away this weekend. If this was a good weekend for you to play cks, then you could go ahead and take it. Otherwise I will start next week.

If there is no I got it before Monday night East US time, then I will post my own 'I got it'.

6. LKendter

Tough block for playing time right now. I passed this a bit lit on turns because I can't play anymore until Sunday night at the earliest.

7. CKS

CKS Deity

I think I have time to play a set by Monday. I'll post a got it if and when I actually sit down to play.

Edit: No, I won't have time after all.

8. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Ok, I will start playing tonight then.

9. LKendter

I'm glad Greebley caught this.

I totally missed the edit from CKS.
    These forums suck for letting you know a post has been edited. That is why I always do new posts.

10. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Preturn: Builds look decent. We have troops to use, but I will start on the next turn for any action.
    Hit enter.

IBT: Embargo ends.

1585 AD: Start building roads on Zulu border to get closer to their cities. Also build Zulu Front to expose 2 more cities to direct attack on the first turn of war once the roads are built.

Land a bunch of units to attack India.

Trade Sci Method and Science to 80% to get Refining in 4. We need transports to invade anywhere off continent and would like tanks if that game is still going.

IBT: Not Much

1590 AD: Attack and Capture last Indian town. The Indians have been destroyed.

Build the roads set up last turn for Zulu attack.

Attack and Capture Altin Tepe. We use an Army for 2 Rifles and a Cavalry for a final Cavalry.

We can redline New Gordium with Artillery. We do so and capture it easily with an Army.

Because of a mountain and a border expansion last turn, we need to cross a mountain to Capture Busirus. This means 1 Army per defender even though we can red-line them with Artillery from 2N. We use 2 Cav Armies to take out the 2 defenders.

Isipezi can't be bombarded and has 4 defenders so it takes 3 Armies to Capture. Its lacking Roads and there are Cav we can't reach with anything but speed 3 units, so move in the 2 armies with movement and the Knight army for defense.

Then I start on the units near the towns. We start bombardment with the Trebs, Cannon, and finally Artillery. One of our 3 elite get a leader. Iron Works just started so I use it there. We have a decent number of Armies - more than we need for the Zulu.

Note that we have also been filling in some spaces with Settlers.

1595 AD: Umtata falls. Note that this town is totally unroaded. The Zulu roading is really bad.
    Capture Ibabanago size 8 but no roaded square within the 20 surrounding squares.
    Lose one of our few Elite Cav to a 2 hp Cav in Plains.

IBT: A Cav I couldn't cover is killed. Another Cav attacks an Army in a City and Loses.

1600 AD:
    Capture Mpondo with an Army. This city finally has roads southward, but it will take 4 turns to get to the city. The Cavalry Armies will be on their own for the most part. Another Army next to Mpondo moves on and captures Tugela to the South

Declared war on Persia and landed troops.

Gained a leader. Its near Umtata. I couldn't make it to the road system.

Boats for the east have gathered near Dariush. We can use them for Australia, but we need 2 more techs for transports. Otherwise we only have 2 armies that can fight. It could be done with just 2 Armies and many Artillery and units, but that would be slow - besides the boats still have a long way to go, so we can't start an invasion yet.

Traded Refining to Argentina for 329 gpt plus change. This keeps us at 100% science with 240 gpt.

1605 AD: Capture Badepi. Other armies are healing or moving up. Kill the few enemies nearby. The enemy is no longer sending much at us.

Also Bampur the Persian town is Captured after Bombardment.

1610 AD: Capture Umfolzi. Our first attack on Zimbabwe kills a Rifle.

IBT: Universal sufferage is complete thed.

1615 AD: Capture New Antioc from Persia. We own the island and one city is left
    For Zulu, we capture Zimbabwe with the long defunct great library.
    Single Cavalry does well vs Ngome to kill 3 rifles and capture it

We finally compete a road to a Mpondo the first city that had roads before capture. We also make it to Tugela, but not Zimbabwe as the road exists but cuts through Zulu territory. Zulu have 4 cities left which will be easier with roads to them.

IBT: Just minor ship bombardment from Zulu.

1620 AD: Land next to last Persian city.
    For Zulu, Swazi is captured.
    On Ulundi, we take 16! hp from a Cavalry Rifle vs a Rifle. Fortunately, we had 17 hp so it was very close. The other two attacks go well and we capture the city.
    Intombe's 2 defenders fall easily.
    Since the Zulu actually have roads I should be able to handle the final city. I switch to laying rails and then attack with the Armies.

We have destroyed the Glorious Zulu.

Land units on Japan from a rushed Galleon. Time to start settling islands for domination victory.

We have 3 size 3 armies now so I send them with Artillery, Cav, and Infantry on the long trek toward Australia. Rush a few more to bring some more units including workers and at least 1 settlter in case we want to replace a town.

They won't get there for several more turns though.

1625 AD: Bombard the final Persian city and capture it with Cavalry.

I actually did this final last turn twice. I think the game crashed - it was no longer running. I also didn't realize it as I stopped mid turn. The net result is that the picture and the game may not match up perfectly as I am sure I did different worker actions and maybe hurried different things.

This picture isn't quite accurate. One boat has no occupants and the locations may not be quite right. It was from the first time.

11. LKendter

This is clearly in wrap up mode. Glad to see some more civs dead.

I agree on cities where ever we can build them. I know I expanded in Greenland a lot, along with some in Siberia.

ROSTER:
    LKendter (on deck)
    Todd Marshall (skip?)
    I really hope is OK - been quite for a long time.
    Greebley (just played)
    CKS (up)

12. CKS

CKS Deity

I've got the save.

Lee, I know you want to go to Australia next, so I'll head there. Would you like to do the actual invasion? I'd be happy to pass it along either when the troops get there or before they are eliminated.

Do we want to settle Siberia or conquer the Americas? Actually, now that I look, we only need 2/3 of the unclaimed tiles to win and nobody else has any significant lands, so I'll build settlers and culture, aside from Australia.

13. LKendter

We may be able to sneak a city onto Australia as a staging zone. I've never seen Australia so pitiful. They usually have there homeland in no time, and take a bunch of islands.

I agree to keep the worker and settler chain going. We need the workers to connect all those cities in Siberia.
    Ships will be good to claim the islands in the pacific.
    I haven't loaded Greebley's save, but I suspect Greenland still has a bit open.

14. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Greenland is close to finished, May need one or two more settlers. I was also moving forward 1 per turn into Siberia. We should also settle the nearby islands.

The Australia attack I think will go well, but attacking the America's will be difficult before transports to take over our Armies. I think we should work on filling all available land and taking Australia.

For Australia, its hard to tell if we have enough. Rushing boats to carry more units may be worthwhile. I think we have enough but it would be better to be sure.

I am actually unsure if the AI will try to attack Armies in Australia. There is a condition where they sometime will if they own the whole continent. Keep the boats nearby for a turn or two. That way we can retreat if they look like they are willing to attack and have overwhelming numbers.

The difference in AI advancement shows the difference between the Emperor AI vs Deity. Ironically, things like the Zulu conquest to longer because of the lack of roads. Also we have to do our own research for this Age's techs. The end game may be slower at the easier difficulty because we have to do everything ourselves.

15. LKendter

Don't forget the islands above Canada. Last time I looked, the AI totally missed those. They may be a higher priority, as the risk of AI building there is higher. I think the islands in the pacific are pretty much locked.

We ARE moving slower. I saw it my last turn. Normally we would have had at least some roads in Siberia to work with. Rails on existing roads are far faster then moving worker crews to tiles to sit for a turn. We are having a lot of dead worker moves.

Not to mention, even if badly place, cities already built. I have no question I would have gotten further in Siberia is roads were in place.

I would like one settler in the Australian invasion fleet. I would like one flip safe city to heal our troops in.

16. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I know I added a settler the first time, but double check this as I may have missed it when I played the second time (civ exited on me so I did much of the last turn twice). There is at least one boat without units as I mis-clicked moved it before filling it.

17. CKS

CKS Deity

I'm uploading a partial turn, because I'm out of time. The workers are disorganized; very little of the work they are doing matters, only the roading of Siberia, and that can only be done one step at a time.

I've moved into Australia and planted a lot of towns. We gained about 1000 tiles toward domination. We learned combustion, so we can upgrade to transports if we want. I was thinking it would be nice to have flight, but it probably isn't necessary.

Turn 0:
    Put settler on boat, build more settlers.
    Turn 1:
    move boats toward Australia. Road and settle. Build a boat in Siberia to ferry settlers.
    IBT: Learn steel, start combustion, due in 7.
    Turn 2:
    Same.
    IBT: zzz
    Turn 3:
    Same.
    IBT: zzz
    Turn 4: Same
    IBT: Venezuela is eliminated.
    Turn 5: Trade a little. Decide not to give away steel. Build a town in Australia. We still have 3 turns left on a trade deal where we give ivory.

Turn 6 IBT: privateer suicides on a boat.
    Turn 8: Trade deal ends. Declare on Australia. Kill 2 muskets to take Broome. Kill some loose units.
    IBT: More privateers suicide. Australian units move. Brazil lands a longbow on our island. Learn combustion, start flight.
    Turn 9: Kill 3 muskets, take Adelaide. Kill 11 other units. Trade steel for dyes and a little gpt.
    IBT: Brazilian longbow kills our infantry. 4 Australian units die attacking us.
    Turn 10: Kill 3 muskets and a pike, take Sydney.

Attached Files:

18. LKendter

Got it, and playing.

19. LKendter

1675 AD (0)
    We have 53% land, and 65% population. It is just a question how long to get those last few percentages.

I'll concede that workers have become mostly meaningless. Outside of finishing up the Siberian railway, nothing seems important on our main land mass. The only place workers will still matter is on the islands. I am going to start fortifying our workers by Sparta until a transport frees up to take them somewhere useful.

I drop the science rate to 50%. I can use cash to rush libraries toward domination a lot more than flight.

I disband our older bombard units, and ancient units to rush for transports for Alaska. We have NO defense, and no workers connecting those cities. Our MDI army is good for a transport by itself.
    (IT) During the final domination push, you really like seeing those border expansion messages.

1680 AD (1)
    We have 11 units approaching Sydney, but just one cavalry to defend it. I need more workers in Australia to build rails to shuttle troops forward. I can't wait for a few more units to arrive.
    We've upped the land percentage to 54%.

I start to fortify our workers in Greenland. More work there is meaningless. I will shuttle them to the other islands as transports free up.
    (IT) LOL - Aztecs and Brazil embargo us.
    As expected, Sydney is owned by Australia again.

1685 AD (2)
    One Australian stack of junk has been wiped. There are at least two more of them visible.
    Ta-Tu will complete Wall Street in 4 turns, so I begin to save cash.
    (IT) Australia gets cute, and lands three units behind our lines.

1690 AD (3)
    I kill of some more small stacks, and set our units to make them come on flat lands.
    The percentage keeps moving up with all the crap cites I'm building. We are up to 56%

1695 AD (4)
    I continue to smash through the Australian junk. With new arriving troops, I hope to get back on the offensive soon.
    (IT) OH NO, the Aztecs embargo us.

1700 AD (5)
    Just nibble on Australia. Lack of rails is still hurting. I need to ship some workers over there.
    (IT) Wall Street is complete. Now we need to get enough cash to maximize it.

20. LKendter

1705 AD (6)
    We've recovered Sydney, along with two needed workers.
    Hobart is captured.

Aussie Infantry is formed, giving us another army in Australia.

1710 AD (7)
    Canberra is captured with some workers and a cannon. That may be the best unit I've fought. ;)

We continue to move forward with 58% of land. We have the needed population percentage of 66%.

1715 AD (8)
    Melbourne is captured.
    Brisbane is captured with 2 cannons that are disbanded, along with 2 workers.

Spear Smashing Cavalry creates yet another army. The last stack of crap is smaller.
    Is it now 59% land.
    (IT) Freaking Australia sneaks back Brisbane. I thought I had the pathway in blocked, and that he was out of fast units.

1720 AD (9)
    Brisbane is recovered.
    Alice Springs is captured with a cannon to disband, and a worker.

This must be another effect of only emperor. I looked at the Sioux land, and I can't believe the number of squares with pollution.
    (IT) Flight is completed, and I turn off research. This should be over via grabbing land and Australia soon enough. Cash to rush will help more.

1725 AD (10)
    Perth is captured destroying ships in port.
    Cairns is captured. A first in world map history is done. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You know you are in wrap-up mode when the best use of artillery is to disband it for shields.

Summary:
    We've fought our last battle. There is a lot of open land in Australia. We still have Pacific islands to claim. A lot of our North American holdings still are working on culture buildings. There are still a few spots open in NA. Between all of this, I think it is just a matter of shuffling units around to wrap this up. I've put a lot of cities on wealth, and those 1 shield cities will never add value at this point.

Summary:

ROSTER:
    LKendter (just played)
    Todd Marshall (skipped) I really hope is OK - been quite for a long time.
    Greebley (up)
    CKS (on deck )