Louisiana stands at the brink of economic disaster

FriendlyFire

Codex WMDicanious
Heck of a Job Jingle, Heck of a Job

Why cant the state just raise taxes on corporations and the rich again instead of subsidizing them at a cost of 120 Mil a year ?

And by the looks of it the $3 Billion short fall is going to be balanced by cuts to services rather then increasing taxes.

Louisiana stands at the brink of economic disaster

Already, the state of Louisiana had gutted university spending and depleted its rainy-day funds. It had cut 30,000 employees and furloughed others. It had slashed the number of child services staffers, including those devoted to foster family recruitment, and young abuse victims for the first time were spending nights at government offices.

The nation’s second-poorest state still needed nearly $3 billion — almost $650 per person — just to maintain its regular services over the next 16 months. Edwards gave the state’s lawmakers three weeks to figure out a solution, a period that expires March 9 with no clear answer in reach.

“Doomsday,” said Marketa Garner Walters, the head of Louisiana’s Department of Children and Family Services. If the state can’t raise any new revenue, her agency’s budget, like several others, will be slashed 60 percent.

“At that level,” she said in an interview, “the agency is unsustainable.”

Many of the state’s economic analysts say a structural budget deficit emerged and then grew under former governor Bobby Jindal, who, during his eight years in office, reduced the state’s revenue by offering tax breaks to the middle class and wealthy. He also created new subsidies aimed at luring and keeping businesses. Those policies, state data show, didn’t deliver the desired economic growth. This year, Louisiana has doled out $210 million more to corporations in the form of credits and subsidies than it has collected from them in taxes.

Initially, Jindal had been able to cut taxes because Louisiana was buoyed by billions in federal money, an influx to help with the recovery from Hurricane Katrina, which struck in 2005. But as that money ran dry, Jindal said he would veto any bills that would push taxes back to where they had been. Instead, to plug budget gaps, Jindal relied not just on cuts but also on controversial, one-off fundraising methods. The state sold off assets, including parking lots and farmland. It cleaned out money from hundreds of trust funds — among them, one intended to build reefs for marine wildlife. It pieced together money from legal settlements.

The math is daunting: For the fiscal year that ends June 30, Louisiana is facing a $940 million deficit, roughly one-eighth of what the state typically doles out from its general fund in a year. For 2016-2017, which begins July 1, the gap is $2 billion.

Jindal had helped the state put off its day of reckoning in a way that mirrored a “Ponzi scheme.”

“This was years of mismanagement by a governor who was more concerned about satisfying a national audience in a presidential race,

Louisiana has cut funding for higher education by 44 percent, the sharpest pullback in the nation; Southern has seen its funding cut 49 percent

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp...or-left-behind/

This is why people on the left have been saying trickle-down economics don't work. No one wants to pay higher taxes but in many cases it's essential to keep government function and services going. The free market isn't going to step in and provide services and save everyone. It's a fantasy but one the public has clung to for 3 decades now.

I fully expect LA to kick the can down the road by cobbling together a hodge-podge of temporary fixes that keep things held together long enough for a recovery in the oil sector to buoy state revenue. Then Jendal will run for president based on his 'proven' economic record and tax-cutting crusades.

I fully expect LA to kick the can down the road by cobbling together a hodge-podge of temporary fixes that keep things held together long enough for a recovery in the oil sector to buoy state revenue. Then Jendal will run for president based on his 'proven' economic record and tax-cutting crusades.
Jindal already tried running for president and spent much of his time languishing within the margin of error from 0%. I don't think he ever made it out of the kiddy table debates.

Do you think he won't try again? I don't.
I'll be the first to admit I'm pretty uninformed about past primaries has anyone ever mounted a successful presidential campaign after never breaking out into whole numbers in a primary?
That level of performance indicates to me people just don't like him and not a name-recognition issue; especially because he has been making the news panel rounds since at least the BP oil spill/State of the Union address where he was touted as the "new, fresh, intelligent, immigrant face" of the GOP.

I don't know enough about the stats you asked about to answer. But I would reply that his dismal performance wouldn't necessarily stop him from running again; it hasn't stopped lots of others from giving it another go. And I should point out that I never said any Jendal presidential bid would be successful, just that I expect him to run again.

Top Bottom