Lyrics Interpretation

cgannon64 said:
What I wonder is, what does Stairway to Heaven mean backwards?
Stairway to Earth (from heaven).

Mescalhead, very good analysis of that song! I think your analysis was accurate, but just from a quick skimover without reading it too indepth I think the song presents quite a few hypocracies. I wonder if those were intentional or not. It's hard at times to seperate honestly great lyrics that deal a lot with the post-modern movement from the usually attempts at being deep that don't really go anywhere.

I dislike all of the rock lyrics that have to do with drugs/drug addiction. People tend to think the ability to create a giant metaphor for some sort of drug experience is deep or genius writing. Quite the opposite, it's mostly contrived garbage, especially the new stuff. Rock songs that are big metaphors for drugs/drug addiction are just about as common as Britney Spears' songs about sex/boys.

Here's my entry into lyrical analysis:

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night
There she stood in the doorway
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
This could be Heaven or this could be Hell
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor,
I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year, you can find it here

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

So I called up the Captain,
Please bring me my wine
He said, "We haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine"
And still those voices are calling from far away,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely face
They livin' it up at the Hotel California
What a nice surprise, bring your alibis

Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
The stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"Relax," said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave!

Any interpretations?

I think its about materialism

Well it's funny because the reason I started this thread was actually that I was wondering about that very song, Giotto... :lol: But then I found a reference to it on the Internet, so I didn't post it.

From http://www.superseventies.com/sw_hotelcalifornia.html
Don Henley would later tell Rolling Stone that "Hotel California" was about "facing some of the harsh realities of fame and life in Hollywood" that the Eagles had endured on their way to pop superstardom. "Back in those times, every day was Halloween," Henley said. "The spiritual experimentation and sexual experimentation all mingled at some points." Henley attributed the song's lasting resonance to its "classic mythological form"; a quest where the hero grapples with dark forces he encounters during his odyssey. "It's all the stuff I learned in college," he said. "The difference is that it's set in the great American Southwest."

And also, this is useful:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_001.html

Has anyone got an idea what this song is about:

The Unforgettable Fire
U2

Ice
Your only rivers run cold
These city lights
They shine as silver and gold
Dug from the night
Your eyes as black as coal

Walk on by
Walk on through
Walk 'til you run
And don't look back
For here I am

Carnival
The wheels fly and the colors spin
Through alcohol
Red wine that punctures the skin
Face to face
In a dry and waterless place

Walk on by
Walk on through
So sad to beseige your love so head on
Stay this time
Stay tonight in a lie
I'm only asking but I...
I think you know
Come on take me away
Come on take me away
Come on take me home
Home again

And if the mountain should crumble
Or disappear into the sea
Not a tear, no not I

Stay in this time
Stay tonight in a lie
Ever after, this love in time
And if you save your love
Save it all

Don't push me too far
Don't push me too far
Tonight
Tonight
Tonight...

What kind of music do you actually like, Curt?

CurtSibling said:
Knowing U2 - It's probably some political junk about Ireland that no-one cares about.

as opposed to all the "genius" metal songs about hating everything/drugs/hating everything but drugs

u2 rocks! If everything they wrote was about something no-one cares about then they wouldn't be so incredibly successful, and bono is music's greatest humanitarian!

I'm not sure what those lyrics are about! Sounds like it is a love song though.

@Curt: I'm guessing you like metal, but probably not American metal - commercial junk, right?

So, European metal?

I, as you can guess, like Metallica a lot, but I'm also very much into speed metal (speedy melodic true metal) though I am relatively new to the genre - can't even figure out what to call it yet. Do you know Stratovarius, Rhapsody, Angra, Kamelot and the likes?

@Giotto: I does sound like a love song, but I just can't figure out the metaphors. I really love that song - it's U2's best, IMHO.

U2 does rock, yeah!

insurgent said:
@Curt: I'm guessing you like metal, but probably not American metal - commercial junk, right?

So, European metal?

I, as you can guess, like Metallica a lot, but I'm also very much into speed metal (speedy melodic true metal) though I am relatively new to the genre - can't even figure out what to call it yet. Do you know Stratovarius, Rhapsody, Angra, Kamelot and the likes?

My comment about U2 was meant in irony...:)
I had felt I had better clarify, before the Giotto Puff-Diddly-men from the West Side come and pop some caps in me.

"I better not be droppin' the N-bomb on y'all, Beeeaaaach!"

*ahem*

Anyhow, yep I am familiar with said bands, Rhapsody has a great sound.
I have little time for grown men in masks and girls goth clothing, so I avoid 90% of US bands.

I tend to hunt down more in-depth Euro-Metal from Nuclear Blast (Germany) and Spinefarm (Finland).

Well there's this hippie type I know, who has introduced me to this true metal thing. Before that I mostly listened to rock (everything from U2 to Metallica, GNR, and even Eagles). Now I'm hooked on that European metal thing. It's just the best music that's been made. It appeals very much to me.

I'm not into that rage metal thing with blood, hate, and all that gothic crap. Instead the fantasy-like style of most of these bands appeals to me. Especially the speedy, symphonic, melodic sounds appeal to me. Having listened a lot to classical music over the time, it probably isn't so strange.

Stratovarius is by now my favourite band, they just make tons and tons of good music. But I also like Rhapsody, Dream Theater, Sonata Arctica, Angra, Kamelot, Symphony X, and recently I've been introduced to Vitalij Kuprij, which is also very good.

If you like the high-style Stratovarius stuff, then check out Cans and Athena...Both great!

And Symphony X?
Almost my most favoured band, truly cool albums by these US fellows!
With band like them, there is hope for true American metal yet!

If you like traditional stuff, Falconer and Finntroll are worth a look!

Glad you are branching out into wider rock and roll! :cool:

I'll look into it. :goodjob:

Top Bottom