1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Māori Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 4, 2018.

1. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Prince

I guess Indonesia and the Maori won't get along too well, but I will enjoy playing them as much as I enjoy playing Gitarja, and capturing Maori cities if they declare war will be fun :D

I do hope the Maori will spread out their cities and settle great spots, will be a great civ to combine with non-home continent bonuses and the palace wonder.

Kjimmet likes this.
  2. kiwipeso

kiwipeso Chieftain

Strictly speaking the Toa would require Greenstone (Jade) instead of Iron if we wanted to be accurate about their Taiha (sic).

3. timmychompchomp

timmychompchomp Chieftain

At first I thought OP. Then read the screenshot and felt there was some attempt at balance. Then I considered the new mechanics, hurricanes and rising sea levels. An Island civ is at a distinct disadvantage. Probably under greater threat to the natural elements caused by inland civs. Very intrigued.

bbbt and nzcamel like this.
  4. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo Warlord

I know that British Museum is going away, but in this case, all you need to do is to capture an English city, even if the museum is built by you, it still has 6 slots.

WillowBrook likes this.
  5. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Have you done that before? Sounds like a bug...

6. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Writing could be a natural fit for Phoenicia.

7. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Yes in GS, but they'll still be there if you play the vanilla or R&F rule set. Not exactly relevant to my question, anyway.

That's what I was thinking, I just wasn't 100% sure that's how it worked, and someone above disagrees. I am 99% certain that if Victoria captures an archeological museum, it keeps only three slots. It happened to me and I was annoyed.

It's been discussed on these forums before, I don't know if there was ever a consensus if it was a bug

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2018
    nzcamel likes this.
  8. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo Warlord

Yes, when I played as Spain, I eliminated England during Classical Era. When I built archaeological museums in cities that were originally English, all of those museums had 6 slots and you could build 2 archaeologists in those cities.

9. nzcamel

Well that's all upside down lol

Leathaface and WillowBrook like this.
  10. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

I was worried Norway's poaching of Civ5 Polynesia's Wayfinding ability would mean the Maori would be a little more landlocked than Polynesia was, but this First Look laid to rest any such concerns. They look quite fun.

11. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Prince

I'd use my turns to find a good starting coastal spot because that sounds fun, but I'm pretty sure the best strategy will always be to settle the closest decent spot and get your builder up and running immediately.

racha and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  12. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Hawke9, Victoria, oedali and 11 others like this.
  13. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

This is the least possible landlocked Civ we have ever gotten. And I love the idea that they start on water.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    darkace77450 and TahamiTsunami like this.
  14. nzcamel

'“We actually ended up making them too strong for a while,” Shirk laughed, “and we had to spend a bit of time toning them down, because our QA group kept coming back to tell us that it didn’t matter if players are slogging around in the beginning because these guys are just great once they get going and they really get on a roll.”'

Dennis shirk in the article :eek: i.e. if you think they're OP now...

The noble savage stuff in the article re environmental issues grates; but hey - it's a game mechanic I suppose.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    CivLuvah and TahamiTsunami like this.
  15. Myomoto

Myomoto Prince

I'm just gonna reiterate what a lot of people already have said. They have what looks like a very fun an unique playstyle and an interesting design. I sincerely hope they go back an retune some of the older civs (to a larger degree than what we saw for England).

16. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Hard to say, exactly. Generally speaking, early game I think you usually get around 3 science and 1.5 culture (1.3?), so you actually probably get more culture by not settling than you do by settling. However, you get less science (although you start 2 techs ahead), and certainly fall further behind if you meet a city-state first.

To me, I think the optimal is probably waiting 10 turns, or until you get an envoy in a city-state, whichever comes first. That way:
    -You finish Code of Laws faster than normal, yet don't waste turns on God King/Urban Planning while not having a city
    -Your city is not that far behind in production or growth, since it starts at size 2 and with a builder

The flaw is that you get a slinger later than normal, but if you start at size 2 and have a natural +1 production from forest/jungle, you should be able to build them quickly early on. You do have to be careful to not have your city settled and then immediately overrun by barbarians, but you have the advantage in that you can search a few extra turns and hopefully find a better city spot. Although as Ed pointed out in a tweet, they also don't have land "allocated" to them, so you might end up stuck without a whole lot of space to expand to. I could also for sure see a lot of people playing the save/reload game with them, to explore every direction and pick the best one to settle in. I wonder what the rules are for how far away from the coast they start - like, are they always going to be within 4 tiles from a coast, or might you get a start literally in the middle of the Pacific with no view of land in any direction?

Leathaface likes this.
  17. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Warlord

They look wonderfully fun to play, but I will echo what others have already said: in the face of the Maori's unique ability, the Norwegians desperately need an overhaul, and I'm thinking that Norway has to be one of the reworked civs. There's no way Firaxis can be unaware how badly the Maori vaporise almost any reason to play as Norway.

18. King William I

King William I Prince

Regarding captured amphitheatres, based on a recent Kongo game I can say that you do keep slits you wouldn't normally have.

WillowBrook likes this.
  19. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Yup, conquered an English city ones, Museum had 6 slots!

WillowBrook likes this.
  20. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I see them as the Venice of this expansion pack (ironically, both in the second one), in that they represent a completely wild gameplay style inspired by a challenge or aspect of the game, i n this case, "what if you don't settle on the first turn".

CivLuvah likes this.