[GS] Māori Discussion Thread

upload_2018-12-4_10-55-42.png

So since the UU doesn't seem to replace the swordsman, it's likely it has a downside similarly to the Varu's low movement. I'm expecting a later unlock, increased production cost or lower attack compared to the generic swordsman.

I don't understand why maoris can't get writers. That just seem like a pointless limitation. Not being able to harvest is something I don't do anyways so whatever, but no writers just lock them out of culture victory for seemingly no reason.

Locked out of Culture victory??? Actually they are very strong in Culture (Tourism) victory.

1. Marae provides Culture, Faith and Tourism (after Flight) to all tiles with a feature and remember great works of writing can’t get theming bonus so it seems just as good if not better then having writers. Spend your Faith on artists, musicians and conservationist instead.

2. Can still have great works of art & music, theming bonuses, world wonders, national parks, seaside resorts and maybe ski resorts.

3. National parks and resorts might be easier to get given appeal should be higher if you are not chopping.

Last edited:
Would have MUCH rather seen the Tongans as a Polynesian civ, but I guess I'm prone to disappointment.

Let's stop for a moment and think about the building that replaces the amphitheater, the marae they say, do not make a place for greatwork, as we are going to do for the writers.

So ok... After 17 pages of reading, my thoughts are pretty much on par with most here.

Love this Civ, will most likely play it first (Right after Canada, of course :lol:). Very original design, love that they have
drawbacks, although for me the harvesting one won't be very important since I almost never harvest anything... Guess it's
almost a religious thing for me :crazyeye:

So, yes drawbacks, yes on some maps they won't be as fantastic (the same can be said of MANY other civs), but overall they
seem like a very enjoyable and fun civ to play out

To comment on some comment ;-)

This civ isn't as OP as everyone says it is. I can see many games going wrong by traveling/settling in the wrong direction. Especially on higher difficulty levels it has already been mentioned about the starting settlers the AI get. With loyalty as it is (and honestly, I'm starting to see this as a failed feature in Rise and Fall), this civ could be loyalty crushed from the get go meaning game over as your capital flips.

Yes... What I'm thinking, exactly ! THIS !!! Those thinking that they'll have Maori cities on many landmasses have better start looking for EMPTY landmasses.

Prediction: you will hardly ever encounter the Maori in game because the AI will almost always lose their starting settler to barbarians when it disembarks.

They Do come with a Warrior. So I really don't see this as a problem. Disembark Warrior first, then Settler on top. Then Link. I've seen the AI link their settlers very often, so I don't think it's something they'll be unable to do.

One question though... You guys think the maluses from toas will stack up ? -5 for every adjacent toa unit ??? that would be... hmmm... like the very best flanking bonus EVER !

Civ6 definitely needs more sexy female leaders for us straight guys.
The best we can hope for is Dido if the leak is true. At least we still have Wilhelmina.

I hope they discover Mining while still sailing across the ocean.
I wonder if I'm the only who has thought about starting a game with them and see how far along the tech and culture tree I can go before I get captured.

Also do Pa's provide any housing?
If not I think they should and it would be a little bit more differentiation from a Roman Fort.

The only thing I don't like is the Toa being a swordsman replacement. Way too strong. It would have been better as a buffed up warrior.

Top Bottom