1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Māori Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Yas queen.

2. m...k

m...k Chieftain

IMHO very nice civ :)
    Referring to city center canals, they should be unlocked with first naval tech and build in the city centre the same way granary or monument is. Let's call them embankments.
    To build naval unit you should have either embankment or harbor/port district.
    To build embankment in landlocked cities you have to build a canal from the sea/lake first.

CivLuvah likes this.
  3. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

Love the civ design overall. It does seem weird to me though, that the UU is so strong. Granted I'm no expert on Maori history, but there doesn't seem to be anything in their wikipedia page to suggest their military strength was comparable to Roman legions.

nzcamel likes this.
  4. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

Great civ, love unique naval bonuses. The only drawback is that is will probably take some time until they show Phoenicia.

Has anyone calculated how long we have to found our first city until we start to fall behind? 10 turns?

Also, has anyone thought about what shipbuilding means from turn 1? Quadriremes are expensive, but their ranged attack might be nice this early.

Siptah and nzcamel like this.
  5. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Okay, I had bits highlighted to quote a while ago, seem to have lost them. Anyway....

They look like a lot of fun! :)

As for captured amphitheaters, what happens when you capture a British museum? I'm under the impression that all six relic slots remain. So maybe the same thing happens when Maori capture an amphitheater - the slots and any great works in them remain.

6. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Isn't British Museum going away?

nzcamel likes this.
  7. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I'm pretty sure that captured unique districts and buildings convert to the standard version that they replace when captured.

8. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

A warrior with 45 effective strength? Holy ****. Definitely way too much.

9. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

AND can build forts that heal it. Yes, it's ridiculous.

10. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Fairly certain it's a (long)sword.

11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It's a stand alone melee unit like Samurai and Berserkers. It's not a warrior or a swordsman.

CPWimmer likes this.
  12. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I don't think we really know that for certain.

But in any event, it functionally replaces Swordsmen, which are inferior and cost Iron; there will never be a reason to build one as Maori even if you can.

Elhoim and nzcamel like this.
  13. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

You are right that the AI link settlers with military units better than they used to...

:lol::lol::lol:

No. There is no way that had legions met Toa, that Toa would have come out on top. Discipline, armour, and numbers would have carried the day. Of course Maori would have sought out to fight in terrain that suited guerrilla warfare; which would have made conquering them back then still no easy prospect.
    But the game is clearly heading this way... away from what we consider Civilisation, and towards any variety.

British museum's are gone burger with this expansion anyway. Though if you did get to keep the extra slots, maybe Marae will work the same way when taking an amphitheatre.

14. rambow13

rambow13 Chieftain

This. It would fit into both history and the new Grievance system.

nzcamel likes this.
  15. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

This is the reverse though - a standard building replaced by a unique.

16. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The description of the Black Army and Huzsar both explicitly said which units they replace. The Toa explicitly says classical era melee. Therefore, that's what it is. It's a classical era melee unit that doesn't replace anything.

17. Weraptor

Weraptor King

I like the design of the civ, apart from the Toa. They just seem to be an overpowered mix of Legions and Varus

nzcamel likes this.
  18. kiwipeso

kiwipeso Chieftain

That is because the Maori didn't have writing until they were introduced to it by the Europeans in the colonial era.
    So you would have the awkward process of offending a lot of New Zealanders to explain that, and some potential political discomfort.

Leathaface likes this.
  19. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I think you're probably right, but the absence of data is not really a confirmation. If I remember correctly, there have been occasions in the past where they neglected to specify that a unique unit replaced an existing unit, but it did.

Meluhhan, Elhoim and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  20. criZp

criZp Emperor

I don't think it makes sense, it makes the other guy completely unable to defend himself unless he declares war and incurs the diplo penalty for just defending himself.