[GS] Māori Discussion Thread

IMHO very nice civ :)
Referring to city center canals, they should be unlocked with first naval tech and build in the city centre the same way granary or monument is. Let's call them embankments.
To build naval unit you should have either embankment or harbor/port district.
To build embankment in landlocked cities you have to build a canal from the sea/lake first.

Love the civ design overall. It does seem weird to me though, that the UU is so strong. Granted I'm no expert on Maori history, but there doesn't seem to be anything in their wikipedia page to suggest their military strength was comparable to Roman legions.

Great civ, love unique naval bonuses. The only drawback is that is will probably take some time until they show Phoenicia.

Has anyone calculated how long we have to found our first city until we start to fall behind? 10 turns?

Also, has anyone thought about what shipbuilding means from turn 1? Quadriremes are expensive, but their ranged attack might be nice this early.

Okay, I had bits highlighted to quote a while ago, seem to have lost them. Anyway....

They look like a lot of fun! :)

As for captured amphitheaters, what happens when you capture a British museum? I'm under the impression that all six relic slots remain. So maybe the same thing happens when Maori capture an amphitheater - the slots and any great works in them remain.

Okay, I had bits highlighted to quote a while ago, seem to have lost them. Anyway....

They look like a lot of fun! :)

As for captured amphitheaters, what happens when you capture a British museum? I'm under the impression that all six relic slots remain. So maybe the same thing happens when Maori capture an amphitheater - the slots and any great works in them remain.
I'm pretty sure that captured unique districts and buildings convert to the standard version that they replace when captured.

It's a stand alone melee unit like Samurai and Berserkers. It's not a warrior or a swordsman.
I don't think we really know that for certain.

But in any event, it functionally replaces Swordsmen, which are inferior and cost Iron; there will never be a reason to build one as Maori even if you can.

They Do come with a Warrior. So I really don't see this as a problem. Disembark Warrior first, then Settler on top. Then Link. I've seen the AI link their settlers very often, so I don't think it's something they'll be unable to do.

You are right that the AI link settlers with military units better than they used to...

The best we can hope for is Dido if the leak is true. At least we still have Wilhelmina.

:lol::lol::lol:

Love the civ design overall. It does seem weird to me though, that the UU is so strong. Granted I'm no expert on Maori history, but there doesn't seem to be anything in their wikipedia page to suggest their military strength was comparable to Roman legions.

No. There is no way that had legions met Toa, that Toa would have come out on top. Discipline, armour, and numbers would have carried the day. Of course Maori would have sought out to fight in terrain that suited guerrilla warfare; which would have made conquering them back then still no easy prospect.
But the game is clearly heading this way... away from what we consider Civilisation, and towards any variety.

British museum's are gone burger with this expansion anyway. Though if you did get to keep the extra slots, maybe Marae will work the same way when taking an amphitheatre.

I'm pretty sure that captured unique districts and buildings convert to the standard version that they replace when captured.

This is the reverse though - a standard building replaced by a unique.

I don't think we really know that for certain.

But in any event, it functionally replaces Swordsmen, which are inferior and cost Iron; there will never be a reason to build one as Maori even if you can.

The description of the Black Army and Huzsar both explicitly said which units they replace. The Toa explicitly says classical era melee. Therefore, that's what it is. It's a classical era melee unit that doesn't replace anything.

I like the design of the civ, apart from the Toa. They just seem to be an overpowered mix of Legions and Varus

I understand not being able to harvest resources, and I agree that is a steep yet balancing penalty. However I don't understand why they can't have great writers? I mean, beyond just trying to balance the civ. Is there any cultural reason the Maori can't have great writers? Beyond the fact they never wrote anything before the arrival of europeans? But if that is the only reason that could apply to most Native Americans too right? But they are able to get great writers? Just a little confused.

That is because the Maori didn't have writing until they were introduced to it by the Europeans in the colonial era.
So you would have the awkward process of offending a lot of New Zealanders to explain that, and some potential political discomfort.

The description of the Black Army and Huzsar both explicitly said which units they replace. The Toa explicitly says classical era melee. Therefore, that's what it is. It's a classical era melee unit that doesn't replace anything.
I think you're probably right, but the absence of data is not really a confirmation. If I remember correctly, there have been occasions in the past where they neglected to specify that a unique unit replaced an existing unit, but it did.

Top Bottom