1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Māori Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 4, 2018.

1. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Firaxis have been doing a good job with this kind of thing long before Civ VI.

2. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

It's easy to forget a lot of research into the Cree community was done, and IIRC Cree peoples helped with the music (possibly descendents of Poundmaker, though I don't know for certain).

3. Josephias

Josephias King

Ah, but that it is actually a canal, that works from turn 1. Canal cities have been a (maybe unintended) feature in all the games, and I doubt this changes in the near future (to do so, they will have either to bock ships from entering city tiles, or to make the code “remember” wich side of the city did the ship enter, so it goes out only trough the same way.

Not expecting any of these changes, I’m fine with canals being shown, an I do not underestand the requests to push them back to a specific tech (unless the one that gives you the first ship units). I do agree, howevwe, that ancient/pre-classical art should show less tech than the current one (maybe just a “river” crossing the city)

4. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Makes me think of this!

5. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

There is a Youtube video where Angel City Chorale sings that. All with Maori dance moves.

Aussie_Lurker likes this.
  6. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

One person complaining on Twitter does not constitute a "controversy."

7. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/ente...erfect-fit.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

"We do a better job at telling a stronger story by representing a culture the way it really should be portrayed," Ed Beach, the franchise's lead designer, tells Newshub.

"Māori have an amazing history, an amazing story - and it's not well enough known, internationally. If we can do a little bit to help spread it, to share some awareness, then we'll be really happy.

"We started looking around Polynesia for cultures we could focus in on for a deeper dive. We looked at Tonga, Samoa, Fiji; but when we looked at Māori and how closely tied in their belief system is to respecting the environment, that was a perfect fit for Gathering Storm."

Guandao, Kimiimaro, CivLuvah and 4 others like this.
  8. Greywulf

Greywulf King

Glad to see that they did consider Tonga and Samoa. Anyway, the abilities are what are most important to me. I wanted a niche ocean-fairing civ, and that is what we got. :)

9. Starwars

Starwars Warlord

Kinda wonder if there will be some AI mishaps when you're playing against the Maori. On Deity, three AI settlers in the middle of the sea... anything could happen!

Looks like a really fun civ but like others mentioned, the UU seems extremely overpowered. Not one to usually hope for nerfs but this one seems to be in the market for that.

10. Gedemo

Gedemo Cacique

Unlike Hungary whose design seems more classic, I really look forward to trying Maori. the starting location is really unique and the graphics are really very beautiful. We also forget another aspect: if you have any civ and you think you are lucky because located on a mass of land interesting to develop, all your hopes can be ruined by finally seeing the first Maori settlers arrive by the sea.:lol:

Guandao, CPWimmer, pokiehl and 2 others like this.
  11. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I agree, the music sounds awesome. I look forward to hearing it in-game.

I hope Firaxis have improved the AI enough that on Deity only 2 settlers are needed. If there is still 3 settlers on Deity that presents a significant problem for the Maori.

12. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

As long as the AI is smart enough to avoid plopping its first city down so close it flips...

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  13. oedali

oedali King

I am super excited about this civ as well, will be the first one I try.

That article says it will take "at least half a dozen turns to find shore and settle your capital" so that implies actual middle of the ocean and not near a sea or coast.. Will be interesting to see how the start location distances are coded beacaue that IMO will be one of the most important factors for this civ.

Also agree their UU shouldn't be equal or better than Roman legion

Siptah and nzcamel like this.
  14. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

That's part of the reason for the extra population.

blackcatatonic likes this.
  15. kiwipeso

kiwipeso Chieftain

Solar, wind, hydro, geothermal and the fifth is tidal.
    New Zealand has the first four, and is considering the fifth as a power source at the major cities.

CivLuvah likes this.
  16. kiwipeso

kiwipeso Chieftain

History does not support that contention. Maori Iwi were notorious for invading other Iwi and taking the spoils of war.
    You may want to look up what happened to the Chatham Islanders when the Aotearoa Maori invaded them.

CivLuvah likes this.
  17. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

I have one issue with this (otherwise quite interesting) civ: It rewards for not playing. For not performing otherwise integral actions - or are even prohibited to perform these actions entirely.

- "Conventional" civs can harvest ressources to speed-up production/growth (and, in GS, prevent them from being destroyed by vulcanos). The Māori can't due to their inbuilt limitation.
    - Other nations chop down forests and jungle for production boosts. The Māori want to avoid this.
    - Sawmills are an useful tile improvement for other empires. The Māori don't need them (other than for one eureka) and they don't want them either, as they need unimproved forests.
    - The Māori might even hesitate to dry swamps, as they'll lose a useful "walkable feature".

So, the Māori seem to be Brazil multiplied by 10, when it comes to collywobbles for actually "cultivating" your realm.
    Is this a desirable game mechanic?
    Is the prospect of very late-game spread of national parks enough to compensate for early/mid-game passivity in builder-usage?

Or is it only me seeing a problem here?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  18. Za01phod

Za01phod Chieftain

Maybe we finally get a terra map. In all honesty Firaxis: if a civ-type game would come out with only one map type that should, by the nature of the game, be a terra map. I really can't understand why you keep omitting it.

God of Kings likes this.
  19. kiwipeso

kiwipeso Chieftain

I usually never harvest resources, and avoid chopping so I can place sawmills.

Currently Maori represent the bulk of the forestry workers in NZ, and some iwi own vast forestry blocks as part of their treaty settlements.
    The harvesting of swamp timber is controversial in NZ, particularly as the previous govt had a cabinet minister whose firm Oravida cut the fuel pipeline to Auckland, while digging for swamp Kauri timber. That caused several weeks of supply shortages to the main airport and half the petrol stations in Auckland last year.
    That said the current govt has pledged to plant a billion trees in a decade and subsidise the new forestry with an incentive to plant native trees.

Of course, there are other things to consider like how a couple of major rivers are considered to be legally people in recognition of their significance to local Iwi.
    Then there is the consideration of how a vast national park was given to a large Iwi, Te Urewera national park.
    Then you have minor things such as how state highways sometimes need to have the planned route altered to avoid Taniwha, according to local Iwi customs which have been known to move the Taniwha if the Koha given is sufficient for the Mana of the Taniwha.

So back to topic, there is scope for a couple of minor alterations to the Maori civ. Possibly a specific religion based around the Maui mythology that gives bonuses for certain geological features such as the story of the lovers who became the central plateau volcanoes. (Mount Ruhapehu & {Mount Doom}, then Mount Taranaki the jilted ex boyfriend)

Guandao, OmegaDestroyer and Pietato like this.
  20. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

In the meanwhile, I can recommend very much ricardo's PerfectWorld6 map generation mod. Apart from generating very interesting maps it gives you the setting to start all civs on the Old World, leaving only some odd city states on the New One.

I was missing Terra maps very much too and thought they would fit Civ 6 playstyle well, but funny thing is, after playing a few Terra games, I realized that you have little to no need in colonies on the other side of the world to speed up your victory, it is only nice if you want to roleplay.

Seek likes this.