Man arrested for paying with 2$ bills.

When I first moved to Atlanta, I stayed with a friend until I could get my own place. I found a Papa John's pizza place in the phone book, and ordered a pizza over the phone, saying I would come by and pick it up. It was payday, and I wanted to splurge on a pizza, what can I say? Anyway, when I got to Papa John's, all I had to pay with was a $50. The guy behind the counter told me I wasn't getting my pizza unless I paid with something smaller! :mad: I told him he had to take it, it was legal tender. To make matters worse, I was the only white guy in the place, everyone else was black. I had visions of starting a race riot! :eek: Fortunately, a nice black man behind me told me he had change for a $50. That solved the impasse. Which is a good word, because the pizza guy acted like both an imp and an asse. :rolleyes:

Probably it had something to do with race. I bet if you were black they would have helped you out. Kinda like how if you go to a Chinese embassy in Mexico they won't help you out unless you are Chinese. ... bad analogy, but it made me laugh so I'm keeping it :)

"sometime the ink on money can smear"? hi-larious!!

thats one way of determening if the money is real or not, fake money ink dosent smear, real money dose, try it for yourself, grab a bill, take something hard and rub it on the bill, kinda hard, voila!

paint smear

general_kill said:
cierdan,about suing the "police" aka the city, thinking like that takes money away from schools, police and fire station, hospitals, elderly homes, and just about everything that requires public funding.

well maybe the city needs to be taught a lesson, like dont hire ******ed people into the police force?

plus if the city aka government has money to buy B-2 bombers for over 2 billion a piece, they can afford to pay this man for this injustice

Sorry, but from an outsider's POV of view, it sounds incredibly stupid that someone working as clerk doesn't know your own money. I can ubderstand if someone hasn't ever seen a 2000$ note (if there is any), but those small ones :wallbash:. I mean, I don't care how rarely it is used - that just sounds incredibly ignorant.
Fits nicely in the cliche of US citizens not being aware to which continent they belong. Or 'Foreign News' relating to the next state...

rmsharpe said:
The numbers on the bills were sequential. You don't have to be a conterfeiting expert to know that's a red flag.

But on the other hand, you don't have to be a counterfeiting expert to know that counterfeiting two-dollar bills is dumber than calling the police because somebody stole your marijuana plants.

nonconformist said:
One reason why England beats America on this front.

Because you have so many different currency denominations that someone could successfully pay a bill with a six-quid coin? :p

IglooDude said:
Because you have so many different currency denominations that someone could successfully pay a bill with a six-quid coin? :p

Heh. Six quid. It's nice seeing Americans trying to act English :p
(six quid btw is an old pun-sick squid).
Actually, there are laws IIRC, that make it illeal to pauy for something for more than £1 in pennies i.e 100 pennies.

Oh, nd as for denominations we have:

1 pence
2 pence
5 pence
10 pence
20 pence
50 pence
£1 coin
£2 coin
£5 note
£10 note (starring Charles Darwin)
£20 note
£50 not
£100 note
and other stuff I dunno of.

nonconformist said:
Actually, there are laws IIRC, that make it illeal to pauy for something for more than £1 in pennies i.e 100 pennies.

Pennies? I thought they were pence, tuppence, sixpence, and whatever other multiples make sense to you people? :p

IglooDude said:
Pennies? I thought they were pence, tuppence, sixpence, and whatever other multiples make sense to you people? :p

That pre-decimal. It hasn't been like that for at least 30 years.

Mind you, GB has introduced the metrical system some time ago already.
You are indeed alone with Liberia and Myanmar. :D

Btw, there has been a famous case of someone actually managing to pay with a fake 55 Deutsch-Mark note...he thought it was a smart idea, since in case he would get caught, he should be able to argue that this was a blatant nonsense, not counterfeiting.
Didn't work, of course. No sense of humor on behalf of currency...

nonconformist said:
Are you sure? The link I posted for snopes disproved it for the U.S. and I'd be surprised if they didn't mention it when it's truth in the U.K.

Eyrei and others along the same line: If you work the register in a New Jersey convenience store/ market for about a week, you would have a completely different opinion. Large bills and rare currency are harder to deal with. Large bills take away all the registers change. Rare currency is practically useless as many people do not want them in change.

Yom said:
Are you sure? The link I posted for snopes disproved it for the U.S. and I'd be surprised if they didn't mention it when it's truth in the U.K.

In Germany, your attempt at payment must be in 'reasonable' bills/coins.
I.e. it is UNreasonable to expect someone to change a 1,000€ bill for chewing gum. Or carry a canvas sack of 1C coins to the bank after you bought a dishwasher.....

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
Yes, but that case is more like if you'd tried to pay with a bundle of 5 DM notes, which happened to be a pretty rare note as well. And while I can imagine a store to not have accepted that, they for sure wouldn't have called the police because they didn't recognize the note...
I think that they recognized the currency; they just didn't want to accept it because of the smearing, consecutiveness of the bills, and the difficulty of carrying such bills (most cashiers only have places for pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and bills of denomination of 1, 5, 10, and 20).

Top Bottom