1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MarnokMod

Discussion in 'FfH2 Modmods, Scenarios, and Maps' started by Marnok, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Marnok

Marnok Marnok

The idea is that the footprint won't expand further - if you can work fat cross, that's all you get. Again, this is just testing and may be optional, but I prefer it working that way (so far).

I need to check mountain range spread and see if I can control it adequately. Just having a non-spreading inkblot might help, and will maybe be enough.

I had always thought more different things could be done with culture, but I need to focus on the multiple ideas I already have!

If I was to draw up a fuller system, probably culture from all sources would add points to a central score for each civic the civ is running, and their state religion. This would make the top civics the "desirable" ones if they are clear of their next rival by enough of a margin. So, instead of republic automatically making other civs :( for not having it, it could be any civics in any category. If one player has huge culture, their chosen civics would gain a lot of points and would, if they had enough points, become aspirational. Of course if everyone else in the world is running a different civic, the combined score might stop anyone gaining a big lead.
    This might make it hard to change civics - "we liked the old ways!"
    The idea is, people in another civ say "those guys over there are all really happy and live very well, they are guardians of nature, we want to be guardians of nature tooso we can be as happy!"
    So by setting the trend you can dictate world culture more easily, and tempt other civs into aligning to your civics (diplo bonus with AI).
    Also, it may be possible to "export" your culture, perhaps allowing special cultural building to be made in foreign cities. So you might get a culture boost, but the other civ gets happiness too.
    Add in some special events and maybe missions, and you have a system...(This is pretty vague so far, as I say I'm trying not to do work on it, I have limited time!)

2. Skitters

Skitters Prince

plundering tribal villages..the bulk of results I get seem to result in upset villagers - is this result ramped up too high?

Also I expected that if I defeated them it'd turn them into slaves, but that doesn't seem to be the case - perhaps there could be a chance to enslave them upon defeating them?

Means that villages well outside of borders are perhaps just best claimed to act as a long distance health spa where units can heal a bit quicker, and to just simply irritate other civs by getting in the way of their expansion

3. iffi

iffi Warlord

My immediate consern with your proposed change is that the AI will settle right next to my borders. It does it already of course, but at least with spreading cultural borders there will be a buffer zone. So soon all my border settlements would have one or more AI civ cities right next to them and leeching my resources/food.

I can of course order my armies to go and level the new settlement, but it could be my ally/friend/other civ I dont want to aggravate.

Anyhow, I will pick up the current mod and try it out!

4. Marnok

Marnok Marnok

Well, I'm not going to release the culture-border change things until I am happy. I think actually the opposite of what you describe could happen - you could build a fort to stop rivals exploring, because forts will drop some small culture too. So you can block a chokepoint or surround a valuable area with forts. So of course I need to make sure the AI sees fors near their cities as things THEY want to own and a possible cause for war. There's actually quite a lot to do to make this work well.

5. Verdian

Verdian King

I am curious how the new culture workings effect the Kuriotates. The original reason settlements were added was to they could claim far off resources. If forts can generate culture now, settlements are not needed any more. ;)

6. Skitters

Skitters Prince

Tried Charadon last night - the Barb civs may have it a bit tough if anything. Whilst you can explore a little easier than the main civs, I found that if you left a Fort unguarded the Barbs proper would come along and steal your claim - but whilst I found that I could plunder Barb claimed village, I couldn't overhaul their claim.

Probably should have checked if leaving a unit on the fort prevented them from moving in, and if so, I guess this won't be an issue considering your looking to move to a system where you need to actively defend a fort to gain the territorial effect for it anyhow.

The Barbs though are penalised in that plundering more often as seems to result in angry villagers, who - I presume as they attacked a scout - are set as animals, so Barb civs can't explore lairs and now seemingly will more often as not get no benefit from popping a village.

Regarding the point about active defence of forts - would it be possible to have fortified units at a fort have a reduced maintenance cost? I'm beginning to think that - along with all the forts that spawn in MarnokMod anyhow, plus the forts that would be built to be able to exploit the big fat cross of a city, plus protect the road that leads to that all important Mithril resource in an awkward corner of the map there could be some hefty maintenance costs. Or perhaps it implies some tweaking of Civics would be in order?

...and would all the additional units that are essentially doing nothing but being fortified to maintain borders perhaps takes its toll on system resources?

7. Skitters

Skitters Prince

dare I ask if there is any chance we'll see a .41 version of Marnokmod?

8. Marnok

Marnok Marnok

When I find some time!

9. Skitters

Skitters Prince

[puts whip away smilie]

10. TheJopa

TheJopa Šumar

This looks very cool!

If I may suggest, don't tie strength of culture from forts to fort garrison. Rather, bigger forts should project more culture, and that's it. Whether they are garrisoned by one unit or an army.

My reasoning- it's much more simple, involves less calculations, it's more AI friendly, more noob friendly, and from flavor side, it does make sense that cultural borders are somewhat more stable and persistent- tying them to garrison will make them move too often.

But I really like the idea!! And I have played a game of Orbis mod, it was cool.

One thing that I thought about - remember how most tiles have movement cost of 1, while hills and forests have 2, and jungles and forested hills 3? Could it be made so that all tiles adjacent to a fort cost 99 to move, effectively implementing zone of control? So all enemy units could move only 1 tile per turn while around enemy forts?

11. Marnok

Marnok Marnok

Hi all!

First of all sorry I didn't update this weekend, I was busy re-arranging my computer (some new bits, lots of installing, copying etc).

Regarding zone of control, it is actually a lot easier than you suggest - there's a facility to call a script function whenever a unit moves near an improvement, by attaching a script to all fort-types I can check if they are owned by an enemy or neutral player and call a "stop" to the unit if they are. This means units could move round a fort one plot per turn, but would be stopped in each adjacent plot. I just need to make sure it doesn't affect team members, or players you have open borders with (unless it makes sense to also slow open-border units, as they still have to pass through border control where there is a fort!)

12. Skitters

Skitters Prince

oooh....did I accidentily bump this thread...

well okay, it's my single handed attempt to drive Marnok potty to see if this is still to be developed....

13. Marnok

Marnok Marnok

well what happened is...
    ... I didn't do anything for ages :(

Been a bit busy, this is still on my mind but I can't seem to get enough time to update, test and play. When is Civ5 out?