Masters of Mana

Max, just whanted to let you know that i totaly love your korea game. :cool:

Ummm... i played my turns, but how do i add pictures in my post? :blush: I can add attachments, but that´s for the savegame isnt it. Here is the save, story will follow when i figure this out. :)

And yes, i tried the insert image button, but i can only add pics from an internet address, not from my computer. Do i have to upload my pics to some freaky place so i can show them?

And 2nd yes, i suck at this. :)

Attachments

• Team MoM AD-0052.CivBeyondSwordSave
    324.2 KB · Views: 69
My name is Nanuk. I am of the ice people.

My tribe lives in the grassy plains just south of the place the citymen call Garduk. We used to live where this city is now, but they chased us away. Its a harsh life, with so many hungry wolves around and everything. Sometimes one of our people gets taken away by goblins and is never seen again. One day people from the city came and told us we would have to go hunting. Every full moon we had to go to the city and bring whatever we had hunted. If it wasnt enough, we would get beaten. Lately city people came with tools of stone and wood and started creating a big structure, i do not understand why they do it or what it is for. They now said we would have to move to the east, to the coast and start fishing.

Just as we were about to leave for the coast, many city men came. Lots of them carried weapons. They looked interesting and i went there to talk to them and have a close look at their shiny equipment and animals and stuff, but they put a rope around my feet and told me i would have to come with them. They also made me carry lots of heavy things. After a long march through hills we were attacked by bandits, but the weapons of the citymen were too strong and the bandits got beaten. The citymen killed all bandits but one, who was taken back north where we came from.

We marched on to the south, but our march was hindered by lots of hungry wolves. The wolves were so many that we had to halt. There was one among the cityman who killed many many wolves, i heard them talk about him. They said that he was a great hero and hunter, but they also laughed about him because he didnt even capture a single wolf. Later that night, when they had drunk lots of their strange drinks, i heard them say it was good that he would retire soon.

The next day we marched on and left the hills and came to a place i liked very much. It reminded me more of the place where i was born, it wasnt as green were we used to live. The citymen started chopping trees and began building houses.

Nothing much happened in the time that followed. I didnt like the life i was living in the cityplace they called Lakis. I had to work all day. They made me and some other people i didnt know build a wooden thing around their houses. We werent many and it will take us many moons to finish this thing. The hero left the city occasionally to hunt, but when he returned, he was wounded, but he didnt bring any deer or wolves with him. When he announced that he we would retire to the big city up north, nobody made a big show about it.

A few of the citymen with tools that looked a lot like the tools they had used to create that big structure where my tribe had lived left the city to the east. Some of them came back with very nice and shiny stones they called marble. The citymen got very excited about this and sent them back, telling them they had to build a quarry. Whatever that may be. The men returned soon tho and said they had been chasen away by a giant spider. Now they praised their retired hero again and weeped and wished him back. Citypeople are strange and i dont think i will ever fully understand them. There were also stories about yummy animals to the southwest, but they were guarded by orcs and the citymen didnt feel strong enough to face those. They said that they would have to wait until the hunters came.

This is my story so far. My life isnt as nice as it was before the citymen came but i will tell my story nonetheless. I have experienced a lot of things i never dreamed of and maybe i can join the tribe of the citymen one day.

I only played 12 turns cos i dont have time to write more. Also, there are some decisions to make:

- we got a Great Engineer for 75 GP. Yay. Keep it or use it to build Heron Throne in our capital? If we keep him, we should go for a tech that allows a wonder (Bone Palace is my fav wonder, but its far away).

- i spent 6 turns to research Fishing - that Fish up there was simply too sexy to ignore. We should also go for sailing in the not too far future if we want to get that deer to the north of Garduk.

- i hope you like the place i chose for our 2nd city. The one proposed by Aline seemed too far away for me. We had only 2 warriors and out hero (who i retired... we will have many Hunters soon, i hope) and i dont think we would have made it to the east coast.

- i would build our 3rd city 2 squares south of the shipwreck. We have one empty square for a Fortress later (i love Fortresses :))

I would have placed the city 1 tile south.
I Agree on getting some wonder HT sounds good to me.

The great engineer changes things. Perhaps we should try and build up a hunter army, and build the next city 1 tile south of where Aline suggested, (I agree, 2 tiles south of the shipwreck is also the prime spot for one of our cities), and then build the heron throne there. It is risky, but Heron throne's culture would have the borders expand pretty quickly.

Either that, or build the shipwreck city, and then have the engineer build the Heron throne there. That will probably have us running at a deficit for a while, but with the stone from the quarry, we can rush a harbor at the new city, and Garduk's production is good enough to build one quickly. Those give a good amount of gold for fish, and should have us back in the black fairly quickly.

With an army of five hunters, we should be able to march next to any poison archer fort, fortify for 5 turns, then taunt, then raid the fort for a big bonus of something. They have weak attack, so victory is virtually guaranteed against them. We should have enough cash to upgrade 4 scouts to hunters pretty soon.

Also, mysticism is a path we need to take anyways, but we also need to get some culture, so we need monuments soon.

52nd year of the Age of Rebirth:

"My name is... not important actually. I am not but an advisor to His Coldness King Braeden, a man of few words and even fewer wits.

How did he became king of the glorious Illian people in the first place anyway? Maybe the Illian people weren't so glorious anymore after some Amurite bloke stabbed Mulcarn in the toe with the Godslayer and put an end to the Age of Ice...

Braeden's foolish reign meant slower advances ( 25% slower in fact ) , and we had spent what felt like an eternity trying to grasp the concept of poking animals to death with a pointy stick: our first advisor made earning that knowledge a big priority, I guess he likes how wolves sometimes roll over and get subdued before the killing blow. ;)

On the other hand, our foolish people mastered the williamwallace-ish ability to boldly show their hindquarters to the enemy, enraging them into boneheadedly charging us, making their ranks less effective.

After the battle, our greedy warriors would give the recently deceased a thourough cavity search for gold, apparently it's an Erebian tradition to go into battle with some gold very well hidden. :crazyeye:

So here we are now, trying to reverse the climatic trend that's been worrying our king lately. Maybe the slain spirit of Mulcarn is with us? A genius child gets an amazing feat done when he manages to finish ( in record time ) the construction of a magnificent throne for His Coldness' royal buns to sit on:

In the meanwhile we grasp the arcane knowledge needed to create blizzards, to turn land to pleasantly cold ( for us ) snow. To further expand our mastery over the elements, we instruct our mages to research ancient scrolls that might unlock the power to make trees grow overnight... that will come in handy for some lumber and game.

While we finish construction of a palisade in Lakis to protect the citizens from the many orcs and beasts of the while, Garduk gives birth to to strong warriors ( soon to become hunters ) to fight back the tide of the thawing.

Soon after, our scientists finally figure out how to give spears to warriors and brainwash them with enough love of hitchhiking that they want to become hunters for sports. We actively sponsor this program, investing some money to turn all our warriors into hunters.

We don't want future Illian children to remain dimwitted and illiterate like their king, so we instruct our sages to think of a decent system of Education next. Soon after, we'll want to explore the secrets of the Ancient Chants, to also instruct them in the ways of the Illian spiritual life.

In the 63rd year AoR ( Age of Rebirth ) , we finish construction of the Great Lakis Wall and the city population is set to train a unit of warriors to protect their city.

In the meanwhile, Garduk trains one more unit of hunters before we get set to expand our territories some more. Our hunters bravely venture into the wilderness, slaughtering undead and local fauna and subduing a wolf in the process. Nice :goodjob:

With the advent of the new Illian education system, we decide to instruct our students towards different ways of life. This will cause abit of temporary turmoil, but we'll soon enjoy the benefits of an Apprenticeship labor system and a Self-Sufficient economy.

Some more skirmishes around Lakis see us subduing a couple more wolves and a stag, while one of our hunters gets a promotion through combat, which will help him better crack defenders in his next fights :goodjob:

The captured stag allows us to build a stag camp in Lakis, bringing in some much needed food and health :goodjob:

As I get prepared to pass the command to the next advisor, two wolfriders show up next to Lakis: one of our wolves chomps the riders and befriends the wolves, giving us a wolf pack :goodjob:

The other wolfrider gets taunted into attacking our city, and can't overcome our mighty palisades. Go team MoM!

We are currently researching Mysticism, going down that line will eventually allow us to freeze the world all over again just like Mulcarn liketh. ;)

My suggestions for the upcoming player:

1) please get rid of that dungeon right next Garduk, it's annoying :scan:

2) please get rid of the goblin fort next to garduk so that we can build a mine to improve our workshop

3) please get rid of the orc axemen near Lakis so we can improve those damn sheep already :mad:

and keep it chilly! :D

Attachments

• Team MoM AD-0074.CivBeyondSwordSave
    356.3 KB · Views: 94
It would seem in the year of rebirth, 75, NeOmega passed away, now an esteemed member of the elder council, which he had established long ago, and now risen to a great hall of wisdom to counter Braeden's foolish wishes. We agreed to pay 50 gold to find a new member, and they hired me, Aryit, to achieve some objectives over the next seasons.

Spoiler :

I was to strengthen and test our armies in battle, destroy the goblin fort southeast of Garduk, and guide yet another set of refugees to found a new city near the shipwreck and mana shrine. So I sent our hunters out across the lands to trap and tame as many wolves as possible for the attack on the goblin fort, and we gathered many.

one pack of wolves in particular was difficult to capture, and we did... or thought we did, but then it ran away. (the highly promoted wof was captured, but a bug is making soe animals fall out of control, and be ours, but controlled by the AI, it sucks, it happened later with a stag too)

turns 75 - 84 a whole bunch of fighting. Attacked by many wolves, poison spiders, and stags. Managed to capture about 4 wolves, 0 stags, and a baby spider, but there is a bug
Spoiler :

Then we positioned our forces for the attack, 4 hungry wolves and 2 wolf packs would charge the goblins and weaken them, then our hunters would come in and finish them.

During this time, the workers of Garduk and Lakis finished a Harbor and monument.
Spoiler :

The battle for the goblins fort went better than expected, we only lost 2 smaller wolf packs (lost 2 wolves). The fort was secured, and I decided to use it as a base until our next city could be erected.

Spoiler :

We founded the city of shipwreck, named after a large shipwreck off the coast, and I dismantled the goblin fort. Little was found of value except a huge stockpile of lumber. It appears the goblins were working on some kind of expansion, or perhaps even plotting a siege. We quickly erected a monument in honor of our victory over the goblins. (rushed monument with stone for border expansion)

Spoiler :

Erecting the monument reminded us how lacking our stone cutting skills were. But after defeating skeletons in a barrow east of Lakis, Mulcarn blessed us with knowledge, and revealed to us the secrets of masonry, and helped us search for the secrets of the ether (I chose to go with Knowledge of the Ether, since the science bonus made it only 11 turns). This must be an omen of blessing for us to destroy fiery undead armies of the Sheaim in Mulcarn's icy embrace.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Team MoM AD-0094.CivBeyondSwordSave
    380.6 KB · Views: 77
Aline, please be careful with Aryit. He has both the woodsman and guerrilla promotion, which means he can be promoted to a ranger when he has enough XP. This is pretty rare, so please don't be foolish with him. :)

Very nice! Both stories and how we are developing! :goodjob:

Very cool (the greatest praise in Ilian tongue) that we are about to overtake the Sheaim score-wise. I was a bit worried cos they were so far ahead when i played.

So how are gonna proceed from here? I would really like to have at least 2 garrisoned warrior in each city before we go to war... and i dont think that we will be able to take any cities with only hunters.

Please build some cottages before we freeze the world (cant build any cottages on snow tiles, iirc). We also need more metal, maybe research Mining sometime soon? If we´re lucky, we may find bronze somewhere.

I think we can afford 1 more city before we go to war, probably on the east coast.

As if i would kill every decent person around. :S

Anyways our brave man take care of some orcs and beasts but unfortunatly the screenshots got lost. :(

Spoiler :

Aryit is torturing prisoners....
...since when do we take prisoners?
Spoiler :

Our brave heros continue to slay orcs and animals and even come across some rather exotic spezimen, a lion and a hyena.

Spoiler :

What else happend?
Oh yes spiders infested our mine.
I have the feeling that everything on Erebus whants to kill us.

Spoiler :

An explorer is commisioned and starts to explore the far north.
Avast!
Our brave explorers find glorious treasure and even the prison of the legendary Birgit.
And some seamonster that promptly eats them, guess we will have to send their families some flowers.

Spoiler :

Now some people where apparently so smart they managed to learn magic without blowing them self up.
A plucky lady joins the ranks of our hunters(who are hopefully done showing ther hindquarters around) and helps smoke out goblins, one of agreeing to join us if we let him do some work, thats what i call a deal.

Spoiler :

So this is our empire in the year 109(time passes so fast) the sun is shining(kinda) a settler is almost built and the first temple of the white hand is on the way(i realy whant to pop those borders) also i managed to kill just a few innocent people who where just doing their job.
I found some glorious copper on the island to our north along with ALOT of mammoths.
I know i havent played a full 20 turns but i am getting increasingly confused as i am missing some screens and i am acctualy sure i played till 115 but have nothing past 109 and i dont know if it was lost somewhere or if i am just a lunatic so ill pass to the next player.

View attachment Team MoM AD-0109.CivBeyondSwordSave

Nice story, guys, I really enjoy reading this (especially when Aline killed the ring bearer :lol:)

Did you manage to research KoTE before Sheaim and get the free adept? That is great! Now, research Fire Shield (Abjuration) to decrease Pyre Zombie strength. Since both of you are evil, the Sheaim won't attack you soon, but they will later.

If you guys can free Brigit and force her join the Illians, that would be epic! :goodjob:

Nice story, guys, I really enjoy reading this (especially when Aline killed the ring bearer :lol:)

Did you manage to research KoTE before Sheaim and get the free adept? That is great! Now, research Fire Shield (Abjuration) to decrease Pyre Zombie strength. Since both of you are evil, the Sheaim won't attack you soon, but they will later.

If you guys can free Brigit and force her join the Illians, that would be epic! :goodjob:

Ahh, advice. I really had no idea how we would defeat pyre zombies, but fire shield sounds great (I only hope it is not alignment restricted. :angry: I really don't like the new alignment restrictions. I wanted to research summonig first, but then I saw elementals were not available to us (because they are neutral only) which means, we don't get to summon ice elementals. :( I really hope Sephi changes all that.
I know i havent played a full 20 turns but i am getting increasingly confused as i am missing some screens and i am acctualy sure i played till 115 but have nothing past 109 and i dont know if it was lost somewhere or if i am just a lunatic so ill pass to the next player.

There is a way to turn the turn counter, time and golden age counter on, I just don't know how.

The turn timer is on, i apparently just stoped at 109 when i thought it was 115, no idea why.

Top Bottom