Medieval Balkan Unit Pack (begun 28 Feb, 2008)

I'll bump the thread with a question. Any of you guys have an idea on how to use these peasants? A name is what I'm looking for, since I don't want to just call them "peasants" in-game. E.g. the hatless Bulgarian peasant looks like an early Slavic warrior, so that's what he's gonna be, but for others I would like something Balkan-specific. Some kind of "early Hajduk" or militia.
A thought...
Well, as they are all from medieval-early gunpowder-gunpowder era (or they can be used for that times), you can use them as half-workers/half-warriors when badly needed. Gave 'em abilities of usual workers, cut their working strength to half (50), but give them some defensive ability, so that they cannot be captured and they can win a battle occasionally (if on the hill, in the city etc.).

But they were.. peasants. I suppose "militia" would do.

A thought...
Well, as they are all from medieval-early gunpowder-gunpowder era (or they can be used for that times), you can use them as half-workers/half-warriors when badly needed. Gave 'em abilities of usual workers, cut their working strength to half (50), but give them some defensive ability, so that they cannot be captured and they can win a battle occasionally (if on the hill, in the city etc.).

I used a combination of these when I added them to my medieval mod, I made the hat-less one buildable by several civs, and called it "Militia", then used the ones w/ hats and unique "Militia". I also gave them Draft and weak stats, but terraform abilities.

I used a combination of these when I added them to my medieval mod, I made the hat-less one buildable by several civs, and called it "Militia", then used the ones w/ hats and unique "Militia". I also gave them Draft and weak stats, but terraform abilities.

Would it be useful for me to apply Plotinus' worker animations to these? Are enough people going to use them like this? From what I've read on the forum, the AI doesn't know what to do with a unit with attack/defense and terraform abilities, so that's why I didn't do this to begin with. But if there's demand, I could see...

Would it be useful for me to apply Plotinus' worker animations to these? Are enough people going to use them like this? From what I've read on the forum, the AI doesn't know what to do with a unit with attack/defense and terraform abilities, so that's why I didn't do this to begin with. But if there's demand, I could see...

I, for one, would definitely use them if you did. That was one of my main grievances with the old Medieval Resistor by Kinboat; he had a pitchfork and peasant clothes, but only attack animations. As for the AI, even if they can't always use the unit right, it doesn't stop the player from taking advantage of its abilities.

I'd probably use them to

I will chime in and say a definite Aye Aye to the worker animations for these units.

From what I've read on the forum, the AI doesn't know what to do with a unit with attack/defense and terraform abilities, so that's why I didn't do this to begin with.

Actually it can, at least sometimes; if you have a worker with combat ability, and you give it only the terraform flag, the AI will sometimes use it for defence. I don't know if this hampers its ability to use it for terraforming.

Anyway, you should know by now that if any unit-maker ever asks if they should make X extra unit, or do Y alternative version of a unit, or provide Z extra animations for a given unit, everyone will always say yes!

Actually it can, at least sometimes; if you have a worker with combat ability, and you give it only the terraform flag, the AI will sometimes use it for defence. I don't know if this hampers its ability to use it for terraforming.

Anyway, you should know by now that if any unit-maker ever asks if they should make X extra unit, or do Y alternative version of a unit, or provide Z extra animations for a given unit, everyone will always say yes!

AFAIK if a multi-strategy unit is built by the AI, the AI will assign each individual unit a single one of those strategies and use it consistently and accordingly. (I've not played the Rome Conquest so have no idea if Legions ever terraform).

Best,

Oz

I didn't suggest that you give the unit different strategies - what I've found is that if you tick only the "Terraform" AI strategy box, but give the unit defensive capability, the AI will use it for defence nevertheless.

I didn't suggest that you give the unit different strategies - what I've found is that if you tick only the "Terraform" AI strategy box, but give the unit defensive capability, the AI will use it for defence nevertheless.

Ah. Yes. Apologies for the misunderstanding. :hammer2:

Best,

Oz

Ha! Yeah, you're right Plotinus, I should have figured that out. My fool mistake, huh?!

But, since I asked and since people said they'd use them, I took advantage of some extra free time and I'm happy to present the four Balkan Peasants complete with Plotinus' terraforming animations. They can be downloaded here. I've also updated the opening posts in this thread.

Are you sure that isn't the AI "hiding" its workers in its cities from oncoming enemies?

Ha! Yeah, you're right Plotinus, I should have figured that out. My fool mistake, huh?!

But, since I asked and since people said they'd use them, I took advantage of some extra free time and I'm happy to present the four Balkan Peasants complete with Plotinus' terraforming animations. They can be downloaded here. I've also updated the opening posts in this thread.
Nice work :cool:

Top Bottom