1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[UNIT] Mighty Ships Et Al

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by MightyToad, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

Zeta Nexus likes this.
  2. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

At the moment I am working on Mycenaean units. First one is looking like this. This guy has full Achilles god armor. Will need something less flashy for common soldiers.

Whenever these are done I will probably do one of the following:
    Chariot Archer(Egyptian/Assyrian?)
    StarGate SG1 F-303/304
    Eastern Europe Gunpowder units
    Mass convert all Civ 5 units (long time)

These are the projects on my to do list. Since there is such demand for Future/Sci-Fi I will probably do that next.
    Will have to assess: What do we have? What do we need?
    The gunship is like 90% there. We already have missile animations. Everything else probably from FF. But won't know that for a fact till I look.
    I think you can mostly graft on sound/effects/animation (maybe) from the jet fighter to the gunship. I haven't looked at FF units in a 6 months probably, but I don't remember them having engine exhaust.
    SG1 is my favorite show, and I already have the models. So definitely going with that. Although, once the animations are done you would be able to easily swap out any model in the future.

Attached Files:

3. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Its awesome your doing Mycenaean stuff that is a great and very pleasant surprise.

On the Sci-fi stuff as Walter said most of the stuff in the link he posted was never converted. All the mecha were, but the near-future aircraft carrier hasn't been, or the Atmospheric Fighter,

On other ships just as the Stealth ships are real and slowly replacing 20th century designs, Railgun armed ships(concept art I posted) are as well. As for attack animation, I watched a few videos, and from what I saw, that Omen Horseman animation could find some use here. As for the concept art, its not something you need to replicate, you can be as creative as you want and make your own designs. They were posted mainly as examples.

Further future ships we are talking hovering units, in reality starships operating in an atmosphere. which you are familiar with making Toad looking for some more naval looking designs, but the Final Frontier animations have to be adapted so they fire looking right with a unit that isn't on the surface of the sea(space in FF).

4. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

Spoiler :

I don't know what to do with them yet but I will definitively need to find a use for them in my mod :lol:

tantanmen likes this.
  5. Sword_Of_Geddon

Easily use the F-302 for the Egyptian flavor Space Fighter. :)

6. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

7. Sword_Of_Geddon

Jaffa CREE!

MightyToad likes this.
  8. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Prince

I still don't get why Stargate fans never talk about the movie lol... I liked the Egyptian designs in it. :p

9. tantanmen

tantanmen Warlord

Sorry, late to the party. And I still don’t understand what a meme is.

Call me Snake.jpg

:dance::dance::dance:

I found a couple more images for an Egyptian armored chariot archer. @pecheneg have you been able to find any more concept art for an Assyrian archer?

Also tried to find some images for Mycenaean grunts. I don’t know if there are any pro-am historians out there who could lend their expertise?

And I’m not even gonna mention the dendra panoply :mischief:

Attached Files:

MightyToad likes this.
  10. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

Could you also release it without the horns on the helmet, please? I think it would be perfect for my Myrmidon unit.

11. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

Great!:clap::hatsoff: I wanted just a heavy Mycenaean unit - and here it is:D. I really support the idea of chariots and firearm units. For example, the variety of Renaissance troops is very large, and there is only a very small part in the mods. At the same time, Eastern Europe had the strangest exoticism.

This is the 16th century BC, "tower shields". The mass infantry, apparently, does not have armor, there is only a helmet.

Later, there is an 8 - shield that exists in parallel with the tower of a more complex shape-apparently, this was the case with Ajax.

Mass infantry with 8-shields is probably also useless.
    Around 1500

Parallel nobility or chariot driver: the Dendra armor is a little later, 1450-1400

About 1300 almost round shields are seen and about 1200 such soldiers are seen
    Here it is necessary to take into account that very large elongated shields are the protection of the legs. When greaves appear, as a rule, a hoplite with a large round shield appears.
    At the same time, the corps of warriors above can be protected... Nothing or leather armor
    Something around the body clearly a shield carrying loop.

But we know that the Mycenaean elite
    1.had scaly armor-scales/plates were found.
    2 At the same time, in parallel (images from 1350 , then the armor itself), a classic cuirass appears

And, apparently, at about the same time, "the armor of Achilles".Medinet-abu is after 1200 BC. Perhaps both armors evolved from Dendra's armor.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    MightyToad and tantanmen like this.
  12. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

It's much worse:D. Some Assyrians do not want to be inserted.
    http://spiculo.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/8.jpg
    According to the link, in addition to the armored archer on the chariot, there is also a mysterious "medium tank". Which, by the way, reminds us of the Main Assyrian Problem.
    The Assyrians generally recognized chariots of two types:
    1. light with a crew of two people (archer and driver) and
    2 truly Arius... assyrian" Tiger " on horse traction.
    3. нowever, there is also a middle/"Hittite" version, this is not the only image.

And here we find ourselves in a deep reverie and the world of modern art.

At the same time, the Assyrians themselves liked the branded Assyrian tanks, but for some reason the artists do not like them. At the same time 2, I think it will be difficult to make a unit.

Spoiler :

And the most intelligible thing I found. At the same time, the shield-bearers are actually spearmen, I must say. This can be seen in other reliefs.

Spoiler :

I need to ask what to look for MightyToad.:hammer2:

13. tantanmen

tantanmen Warlord

Haha, no worries, you're doing great :goodjob:

I agree it's tricky to find artists that like ancient history as much as we do. I've started searching on ArtStation and DeviantArt. Games like Total War also have excellent art. Here's something MightyToad suggested that can help him do his modeling magic:
    I too would like to see more chariots :king: The Assyrian 'Tiger' chariot sounds interesting - I'll help research it :thumbsup:

For now, here's the Dendra Panoply Charioteer:

Dendra Panoply 01.jpg

Spoiler The Dendra Panoply: the world's first sumo suit? :
    "A set of armor discovered near Midea (the Dendra Panoply) included a helmet, bronze greaves, and a corselet made of overlapping bronze half-rings and plates covering torso, shoulders, neck, and the tops of the arms, combining protection with flexibility. These seem to have been stitched to a linen garment, probably well padded."

Spoiler longer version :
    "This uncovered specimen in question consists of fifteen separate sheets of beaten bronze that were fastened by leather bands. The main cuirass in itself comprised two different facades (for the front part and rear part of the torso) that were joined by a hinge. Additionally, the impressive armor system boasted big shoulder-guards, triangular arm-pit guards, a deep neck-guard (composed of a high bronze collar) and even greaves (padded with linen). So after all these pieces were ‘set up’, the complete panoply equated to a robust, full-covered plated body armor that may have been imposing in its scope, though surely cumbersome in its usage."

Spoiler Dendra Panoply Charioteer :
    "The armor certainly would not have been used by the average rank and file grunt, but most likely would have belong to a very wealthy noble or elite warrior. The most commonly accepted theory is that this type of armor would have only been used by charioteers who were not required to conduct combat on foot. However, although the armor looks heavy and bulky, it only weighs 15kg (33lbs), and modern high quality replicas have demonstrated that the armor is mobile and dexterous enough for foot combat. Thus some contend that the armor could have been used by heavy infantry as well. One could imagine an elite corps of heavily armored Greek soldiers bashing through enemy lines like tanks.

Based on the skeletal remains found in the tomb, it is estimated that the warrior who owned the armor was 1.75m (5′8′’) tall and weighed around 65kg (140lbs). So he certainly wasn’t an exceptionally large man, even by ancient standards."

Spoiler Mycenaean Chariots :
    "The Mycenaean army preferred the sturdily-built, heavy chariots that were conducive to operating on the rocky plains strewn across the Mycenaean homeland. This translated to the use of robust four-spoke wheels and draught pole reinforcements with cross-bracing. Consequently, there were few types of chariot designs, but most of them were drawn by two horses – which was a far cry from the larger Assyrian battle chariots used during their hey-day."

Attached Files:

MightyToad and pecheneg like this.
  14. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

If only ancient history. Around the Second World War lies the desert . Inside - semi-desert.

Thanks for the tip. Нм, I suspect something similar to 123D Catch.

Yes, that would be great. The chariot era is believed to be the Bronze Age. However, in reality, they reached their second heyday much later. In the Battle of Karkar (i.e., in 853 BC), the Assyrians used 1,200 "units", around the same time they reinvented the Hittite "medium tank" with three fighters. And a little later - the Wunderwaffe in the images. That is, the "Tiger" is roughly contemporary with the Messenian Wars, Lycurgus, and the first Olympiads . Then chariots-of an unknown type-were used in the army of the Neo-Babylonian kingdom (before 539 BC). This is later than Solon.

In general, millions of ordinary gamers are in a terrible delusion.:old:

What a mundane comparison. This is a brilliant proof that canning was not invented by Pasteur, but by Agamemnon.:old:

tantanmen likes this.
  15. tantanmen

tantanmen Warlord

:rotfl::lol:

pecheneg likes this.
  16. Sword_Of_Geddon

Thats alot of Mycenaean material. Like the ships they feel like a prequel to the more familiar hoplites and such of Classical Greece, which is what they were. The unarmored spearman for example, I can see how the Helmut evolved to the more familiar one we see later.

Myceneans were to the Greeks what the Sumerians were to the Babylonians.

17. tantanmen

tantanmen Warlord

Ahhh, so sorry, buffeted by the most O so cruel Fates, it took me forever to track down an HQ version of this online:

01 Spartan, Ithacan, Pylos underwear model, Myrmidon - by Giorgio Albertini.png

This pic has a little bit of everything: the contingents of Lakedaimon (Sparta), Ithaca, Pylos, even the badboy Myrmidons. Imo the Ithacan is ideal for a common archer. And of course I'm a fool for not finding 3D models of the Dendra Panoply until today, sorry :hammer2:

Most obsequious bowing and the barbecuing up of many a goat's savory thigh fat to the :bowdown: Almighty Toad, I am at your eternal mercy to submit this as a late entry to the Ancient Mycenaean Conquest Force :please:

Attached Files:

MightyToad likes this.
  18. BossDaddy

BossDaddy Warlord

Could these be fitting? I could upload or modify them some if you like. I thought with some tweaking, the helm could look like the left and right images from Tantanmen's underwear models.

Attached Files:

MightyToad and tantanmen like this.
  19. Darkator

Darkator Warlord

20. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

I'm posting the two swordsmen I've got so far. At this rate it will take a couple weeks to do a proper lineup. I am anxious to get to the Stargate stuff.

Also, there is alternative versions without horns on the helmets. Also, a round shield instead of the 8.

I also spun the Minoan Galley around so it is facing the "right" way. Also, changed the hull texture to birds.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/mycenaean-swordsmen.28860/