Minedcrafts - a Dwarf Fortress Succession Game!

I...I...I'm a High Master Armorsmith...woooaaaah... Well that's pretty freakin' amazing, thanks!

And we've got a crapton of metal ore, food and workable farms. I say this is all...going...swimmingly...oh crap I think I just jinxed us.

By the way, you don't happen to have some Stonesense pictures?

Excellent, I'm a farmer! That sounds nice and safe. What could go wrong?

I've never bothered building a watchtower before. I get into this rut where I play the same way every time. I've gotta start experimenting and do something new.

Great update - can't wait to hear about the next successful season.

I haven't either. I usually dig into the ground and make a depression-type-thing. This tower is new for me, I just felt like doing it.

... You'll have to explain to me what the thing about the farms stabilizing means, though :p I'm just the stupid miner.

The water in both zones got equal. I was hoping to shut it off once a the north half was only coated, but those kobolds really discombobulated me.

Pumps will fix it fairly fast, though. I'll get the militia guys to pump so they'll hopefully get stronger.

Pumps will fix it fairly fast, though. I'll get the militia guys to pump so they'll hopefully get stronger.

I thought they scrapped that? It was one of the first things I noticed when I switched to the 2010 version; I couldn't see an Agile/Strength/Durable(?) status any more.

It's in their personality screen. As far as I know, dwarves only get strength, endurance, and agility from Mining, Woodcutting, Hunting, Pump Operating, and military actions.

Spoiler Fall 1051 :
From the Journal of 'Double A' Nåzomzefon
-----

Limestone

Whoooo! Our first legendary dwarf! At this rate, we'll, uh... yeah, actually, it'd probably be best if we were at a better rate.

NOOO! There goes any hope of improving the rate of legendary dwarves. Stupid cats. Can't keep their fur on.

Alright, the farms are finally drained from the pumps! A kitten was even frolicking in the shallows. I've shown the farmers what I want grown where, and told them to leave the farms alone in the off-seasons instead of planting more plump helmets. Those idiots think it's always a good idea to dig up the seeds when the plant can't grow in the season, so that's more so we don't loose any of our scare seeds. I'll probably change it later on.

Sandstone

I ordered Cowabunga and some other dwarf to refine a massive amount of lignite into coke.

Seems to be going well. We're gonna need it for Luckymoose's replacement pick. I hope he doesn't get rusty by the time we get him a new one.

Wow. Just wow. That's all I have to say about this matter. Hell, I didn't even want those dumped, someone screwed up horribly.

Someone just informed me we have migrants!

TWO dwarves? And a COW? That's all they sent? What the hell? At least one's decent with a mace. I don't even know what to do with a freaking novice miller. I guess I'll draft them.

Timber

Even though Cowabunga's an armorsmith, I got him to make a chain so we could tie up a dog at the entrance to watch out for Kobolds. He complained that he wasn't good at that, but, hey, I think it turned out OK. It's not like we're putting it a noble's room. (Note to self: put chains in future noble's rooms. Maybe they'll strangle themselves with one).

Cowabunga made Luckymoose a pick too. He was so happy when he picked it up, and went straight to mining. He hasn't been able to practice in three months, so he's slower than Diamondeye, but I'm sure he'll catch up in no time. We also have pig iron, so we're almost ready to make steel. I expect our first bars by the end of next month.

We also got our first plump helmets this month. We're almost fully self sufficient!

Alright, the first caravan! I could kill for some meat... wait, that didn't come out right... Well, whatever. I ordered everyone to start hauling crap to the depot.

I met with the liaison today, I told him to send food, seeds, leather, booze, and thread. However, he told me that booze was in short supply in the capital, among other things.

After the meeting, one of the dwarves informed me it was winter. How time flies...

I'm half expecting a goblin ambush to attack right in the middle of me accidentally breaching the caverns and a forgotten beast being on the other side of the wall.

Okay, I got to 6 Obsidian. The lake froze on 21 Moonstone, and there were a few seconds of lag. On 6 Obsidian, it took 10 freaking minutes to unthaw.

I vote we turn temperature off in the winter.

:lol:

Omega, the next wave is in the spring or summer, so I'll have totally no control over that. :p

I don't understand anything from the graphics, but it's a great story so far !

The graphics are in ASCII and take a while to get used to. Typically, an animal is represented by the first or second letter of it's name and its color, caps are typically bigger animals. Elephants are E's, cats are c's, elves are e's, humans are U's, dragons are D's, and so on. Dwarves are the smiley faces. The grass is the random green crap. The blue squiggly lines are water, and the yellowish ones are farms. Usually, you don't get it unless you play it for a long time or read lots of Let's Plays (I recommend both).

What the crap?

I'll fix that...

By the way, jinxing this would be fine with me. I mean, I had to write about there being a limestone block in the refuse stockpile. And rotten cheese last time. It's so boring compared to most first years. Not that goblins would be a problem, since we have steel armor already...

Also, the only ores we have are hematite, limonite, and magnetite. In other words, iron, iron, and yet more iron! We have more iron deposits on the few levels I've explored than we have of freaking limestone (currently). Someone should probably do some exploratory mining.

Spoiler Winter 1051 :
From the Journal of ‘Double A’ Nåzomzefon
-----

Moonstone

Wow, it sure is peaceful here. Horses, grazing south of the tower. Dwarves, happily laboring about. Carp, not killing anyone. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS PLACE?

That’s more like it! The river froze and the lake didn’t! Leave it to Nature to totally disobey it’s own laws. No, wait. Now I’m cold. I should take a break, I have been working hard lately.

I’m sure Diamondeye will take care of those traders for me!

Do de doo, starin’ at the wall!

Alright! We finally have steel! I’m telling Cowabunga to make some shields for the militia right away!

Well, the traders just left. Damn, this wall is freaking awesome! Oh, and Cowabunga made his first shield.

Yep, this wall… wait, why did the fort suddenly just get a lot colder?

Oh. OH. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH.
I’m going skating! Oh, and, uh, we can probably remove the floodgates now. Just replace the fortification with a wall or somethin’.

Opal

I told the miners to make a hole in the ceiling so we could grow above ground plants. They looked at me funny, but I think they got started.

SNOWBALL FIGHT!

… or not?

What. The. Hidden. Fun. Stuff. Is. Wrong. With. This. Place.

Obsidian

Some of the dwarves have been complaining about the bedroom being on dirt. I, for one, have to agree. I ordered Luckymoose to start carving out some new bedrooms.

It has also come to my attention that we have way too freakin’ many mechanisms… I think we’re set for the next 8 or so caravans, honestly. And that’s not counting the 8 bins of rock crafts we have. I think I’ll just expand the stockpile in the meantime.

But honestly, I want a better bedroom, so the stockpile is gonna have to wait. I plan on sticking mechanism stockpiles on both sides of the hall.

So, today, there was some kind of earthquake, I think. Wait, seriously? It was the lake thawing? What about the river? No? Seriously? Then what was that second rumble we just had? Yeah, go check.

… I need to stop writing down my conversations with other people in this journal.

Yeah, I told ya so, Hitti! Oh, fine, I guess I CAN make you a barracks. Probably for the best.

I’ll just open up the old bedroom. I dunno where they’ll sleep, but, hey, it’s a start. Maybe I can make another tower above it or something.
And speaking of bedrooms…

I thought they weren’t big enough, so told the miners (now both) to add some more room on the end, and to make ten more. Couldn’t hurt.

Oh, and today’s the last day of the year, isn’t it? FREAKIN’ SWEAT. I’m gonna drink so much booze I’ll puke enough to fill a barrel! NEW YEARS RULES!

Oh, in the name of Armok, WHY did I have to drink the rum? And my head, my ACHING head… ugh… I’m staying in bed… hey, you, mythmonster. Ima be over der… don’t call me if you need me. Yer in charge till… oh, hell, not only do I have a fuggin hangover, I’m STILL drunk… uh, yeah, whenever.
-----
Here is the save for mythmonster, unless he just wants to skip, in which case it goes to whoever is next on the list. Here's the status screen:

I haven't had enough dorfpower available to appoint a bookkeeper. We have about 3 bars of non-iron-related metal, which I got from the caravan/melting animal cages. There aren't any levers right now. A few more beds for the boys in steel might not hurt, but it's up to you to put them somewhere.

So ends year 1051, and my turn.

May the magma be with you.

Oh boy, I'm not sure if I'm ready to take on this fortress this early. Eh, what the heck. I'll do it. Don't expect an update 'till Saturday, though. Mind walking me through the steps to get this save onto my DF though? I've never downloaded a DF fortress before.

If you don't want to we can skip you and come back to you later. You were just the first one to sign up, so I assumed you wanted to be second.

Brrr, looks a bit nippy out there. lol

Hey, that reminds me. I've never tried embarking somewhere that's permanently frozen. Would I be forever unable to make farms, or is there some easy way to get water that I don't know about?

Top Bottom