[MODCOMP] New advisor screens (Col1-like)

And btw .. the clear speciality is not functioning in the Europe screen in this mod.

I'm not sure, clear speciality is to delete the profession, right? Should it be possible in Europe screen?

Yes, I think fixed seasons are fine. Plus, you can match them to game speed.

Fast - every second turn
Normal - every second turn
Epic - every fourth turn
Marathon - for three turns every twelve turns

Yes, I'll go with fixed seasons. But your suggestion would lead to snow in May, September. And I don't want have winter screen that often. It should be more a kind of easter egg, only happens once in a while.
But snow isn't important right now, I'm working on something more interesting. I'm trying to replace the ship icons with the 3d model counterparts.
I already got them in. It's really cool, they're moving in the wind and you have player colors on flags and sails. But they're facing all in same direction. And I don't know how to rotate them. :king: I can rotate/turn/zoom them with the keyboard but not in python. And I tried a lot. I learned how to move the camera in one step from florida to alaska and I understand now that it's possible to have a camera zoom from beneath the sea up to the a certain ship unit (It looks like in Jaws). But I didn't get those ships turned an inch into another direction. :mad:

I used this command for adding ship models to europe screen:
VOID addUnitGraphicGFC (STRING szName, INT iUnit, INT iX, INT iY, INT iWidth, INT iHeight, WidgetType eWidgetType, INT iData1, INT iData2, FLOAT fxRotation, FLOAT fzRotation, FLOAT fScale, BOOL bShowBackground)

I thought fxRotation and fzRotation is the way to go but it doesn't changes anything. :confused:
Maybe someone with more experience in python (I started python 2 month ago) has some idea.
If I don't find a solution for this I'd have to go back to 2d ship icons. :(

Have a look through the Unit Pedia code and see how they do the model rotations there. That might give you the clue you need. :)

This is where I've got the idea originally from. :) But they don't rotate the ships themselves in Civpedia. They have this auto rotation for camera. I can enable this for europe screen too but it only affects the selected ship.

I'm not sure, clear speciality is to delete the profession, right? Should it be possible in Europe screen?

Well .. double click any unit on the docks and you will find (amongst other options like convert to soldier, dragoon etc.) a clear specialty item. However when you click on it nothing happens.

Not that it is very important but it just looks like broken behavior that's all.

:confused:
If I click on units on dock i get a menu but there is no clear speciality option.

(Don't mind background of europe screen. It looks a little strange right now)

I released a new version. Check out the first post for download and changelog.

Thanks koma, I'm implementing this version and integrating it with my Pirates Tortuga screen too, so if you play AoD2 it will be in by default. :)

Ok, I discovered some bugs in the new release. I will make a fixed update in next few days. Sorry for that.

Yes Dale, good to hear. If you have questions about the new release feel free to ask.

EDIT:

Here is a new screenshot:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 212
I wonder if it's possible for another civ to have another europe screen? let's say an asian civ to have a asian screen?

Yes it is. I do that with the Pirates in AoD2. :)

Nice koma13 :). Could Frankman come here and post something about his gorgeous pic?

I'm gessing that you, koma13, did the winderscreen. Looks like you missed snow on half of the trees (those behind the ship).

I just now got this mod running. WOW! That's very cool! I like how the water is moving - it's not just a static picture.

I think this mod could be improved very easily just by compressing it in a more standard format (i.e. just let windows compress it into native zip). I didn't want to install the winrar tool, so instead I downloaded that tool into a virtual PC (that way it's easy to re-install when the free time runs out).

Anyways - I like it. Thanks very much!

OMG, this looks gorgeous!
I was wishing some artist could help me to make a Chinese-style or Asian-Style background? And maybe a Slave-Market background?
Fankman should be a very nice artist to make this:)
I just need beautiful backgrounds images like in this one:) I can write the python script quickly!

yes -- tar is also pretty standard... What I am trying to say is that I can unzip a zip file in windows without downloading anything. It's built into the OS (and you'll find it in Linux too, I don't know about Mac). But if I want to uncompress rar or tar I have to go looking for utility somewhere, download it, blah blah blah.

If you want to make a mod as simple as possible you won't burden people with that extra step of finding an uncompression utility when there already have compression formats readily available on the OS they are playing on.

thanks for the compliments. i've only draw the buildings and had the idea for the design. koma13 did the water with the nice reflections and the heaven, and he draw the original harbour. this harbour was the template for my work. and thanks for koma13's support and ideas. i've seen the problem about the missing snow on the trees, i'll fix it today or tomorrow :crazyeye:

Ok, thanks for your comments :).

About that rar vs. zip issue. It's pretty easy: Europe screen archived with rar is 7.7mb, zip is 10.2mb and civfanatics has a file limit of 10mb.

I'm gessing that you, koma13, did the winderscreen. Looks like you missed snow on half of the trees (those behind the ship).

No Zuul, I didn't do the winter screen. Fankman did. And he already pointed out the missing snow but I thought no one will notice. :)

I wonder if it's possible for another civ to have another europe screen? let's say an asian civ to have a asian screen?

Yes, it's possible (like Dale said). You can have as many backgrounds as you want. You "only" have to adjust the positions for ships/units. If you choose a background with similar layout to the existing one, you can skip most of that work.

koma13 -- thanks. That's a pretty good reason! :)

So I think it's extraordinary to make the adviser screens more beautiful. It takes some of the pain out of having to go check them for something. The new Europe screen is an excellent start since that's what has to be checked so often.

But...

If you want to make an "absolute must have" mod...

Hmmm? :)

Then all the progress bars should somehow be presented in the main screen. There's the immigrant bar. I hate it when I miss this and the petty criminal jumps ahead of the statesman in line -- he's so rude!

And there's the revolution bar, the great general bar, exploration points, etc.

All of these don't have to be presented as bars, they could be percentage icons -- but if there was a way to cram all of that onto the main screen... You could compress that any way you wanted too and I'd download anything just to run that!!!

Just an idea. Thanks for such good work!!!

:)

but if there was a way to cram all of that onto the main screen...
Displaying most important informations from advisor menus on the main screen without clumping the interface? An interesting quest. :) Problem is that you have to edit the CvMainInterface.py, a file often used by other mods too. And people having problems with extracting rar archives, I don't know how they think about merging python files.... :)

Top Bottom