Modding

Also, I would bet 100 USD that mods remove the 1 unit per hex limit in the first month (provided we get access to the SDK) ;)
Assuming there actually is a 1 unit per hex limit in the first place. ;) As far as I'm aware it still hasn't been confirmed whether there even is any limit - there might just be a detrimental penalty for having too many units in the same tile. Or if there is a unit limit, it might be 5, 10 or 20 per tile. Correct me if I'm wrong, but nowhere so far in an official release has it been said that units are limited to one per tile. ;)

you can count on some form of American Civil War 2 coming to civ5!

that is if I can talk bernie14 into making some civ5 civil war models for me!

that is if I can talk bernie14 into making some civ5 civil war models for me!

My hope would be that Firaxis are going to use an updated version of the Gamebryo engine for Civ 5. I'd be kind of surprised if not since the have experience of using this engine for Civ 4. If they do use Gamebryo then it will hopefully be fairly straight-forward to use Civ 4 graphical content in Civ 5.

Looking at the screenshots, it seems like they are going for more unit models per hex rather than individual models which are much more detailed (although some increase in model detail is visible).

It would be ideal if Civ 4 models can be ported with very little effort as this would increase the speed with which graphically distinctive Civ 5 mods can get up and running. I hope this is something Firaxis have considered.

I've had my own mod for a while, but I don't think I'll convert it to Civ V. I'll probably devote my time to making new leaderheads. The graphical possibilities with this new format look really promising.

I'll need to get a more high-end system though...

But after Road to War I'm all WW2'd out.
I am going to try to get my mod of your version to 0.4 or 0.5, before it comes out.

RE: Civ 5, the one hex per unit seems to be a possibility as there was mention of units behind the line being able to fire over the other units. However, defending cities will be an issue, if they don't allow more units in cities. Maybe a limit in cities based on city size.

I have suggested we have a Civ 5 Modding Sub-forum to start discussions on modding.

I'll probably start discussing CIVImp2 over at WPC soon.

My hope is that they keep the basic tenants of what makes the Civ series great and don't mess too much with it...I mean, I enjoy hex based games quite a bit, but I wouldn't want to see Civ become The Operational Art of War or something like that (not that I disliked TOAW...except for the AI :p )

Let the modders mod the game! Keep vanilla, vanilla! ;)

Regards,

Jeff

As a civ3 3d gfx veteran i plan to create a number of greek medieval buildings, and cities. They will probably, in isometric, resemble somewhat my civ3 creations:

Very good to know.

I also might try Abeo Antiquus in civ V, my efforts haven't gotten it's civ III counterpart far off the ground, though I still want to finish it.

My hope would be that Firaxis are going to use an updated version of the Gamebryo engine for Civ 5. I'd be kind of surprised if not since the have experience of using this engine for Civ 4. If they do use Gamebryo then it will hopefully be fairly straight-forward to use Civ 4 graphical content in Civ 5.

I think, the engine is relativly outdated, so i would not count on that.

It would be ideal if Civ 4 models can be ported with very little effort as this would increase the speed with which graphically distinctive Civ 5 mods can get up and running. I hope this is something Firaxis have considered.

You have the universal tool for converting, Blender ;).
I guess, some of you graphics guys will be able to port some of the most awesome units, but it will be probably not really easy.

I have suggested we have a Civ 5 Modding Sub-forum to start discussions on modding.

About what should we discuss there?

If they give us access to the dll, I think a FFH conversion would be one of the first major projects, well, I hope it gets ported across xD

About what should we discuss there?
Modders can discuss what they may do with their existing mods ... I for one will be looking at adapting my mod under development to the new Civ 5.

I have done a lot of research which will help in creating a new version for Civ 5

I really can't see the point of that until far more is known about the game, how moddable it will be, and how to mod it.

I think, the engine is relativly outdated, so i would not count on that.

I don't mean the same version of the Gamebryo used in Civ 4, but the most recent revision. Gamebryo was used for Fallout 3 and the forthcoming Fallout: New Vegas. The latest version of Gamebryo supports DirectX 11 so it is still a good possibility I would think. Firaxis have in-house knowledge and experience of that engine.

Edit: If they don't then NifSkope will be of no use and we might need new importers and exporters for Blender.

Top Bottom