[Modmod]Sunset of Civilization

A number of new commits are up, one of them being the merge of DoC 1.16.2.

The biggest change however is the removal of the Varietas Delectat module. Turns out that one was to blame for the messed up city graphics, though I wasn't able to figure out what exactly in it was causing it. Deleting it also decreased the start-up time for the mod from five minutes to five seconds on my machine, so I'm not exactly drowning in tears over having to let it go.

If someone is really desperate for the better unit graphics and willing to overlook the madness that it causes for buildings and towns I guess I might as well keep it as an optional module for proper releases, but I don't see it coming back into the development version any time soon, or ever.

Can't open the scenario map, old Github problem. Can you update the privatemaps.zip again here?

Can't open the scenario map, old Github problem. Can you update the privatemaps.zip again here?

Puh, for a minute there I panicked when I saw the notification that youtien replied to my thread, fearing that you had uncovered that the new OP strategy to win the game would be founding Seattle as Tibet and whip out an army of Medic Trebuchets to conquer France or somesuch.

Are you trying to use the scenario maps with the release version or the development version? They are only intended to work for the former. I am going to finally complete the next release soon-ish however, so if you have two more months of patience in you maybe you can wait for that if you don't want to set up the Github connection. :lol:

Just a little propaganda stunt today to drive home the point that indeed, my mod improves on DoC in many ways:

Workers normally have a nice feature where, if they're threatened by a unit, they stop what they were doing and ask for new orders so you can get them to safety. This usually happens with two-movement units like various cavalry. Unfortunately, barbarian Mohawks in North America spawn with Woodsman II, allowing them to move two tiles through forest. Apparently, the workers threatened response doesn't activate when they're a forested tile away from a Mohawk, I suppose because they don't realize the Mohawk has effectively two movement points. This results in situations like this:

These workers automatically continued their projects despite them being threatened. Would it be possible to update this portion of the AI so the workers can account for this? Or, failing that, can Mohawks just be given Woodsman I? Thanks!
This has been fixed in my mod for a long time by just giving most combat units at least two movement, doing away with the silliness of people suddenly being able to move twice as fast through forest as through open plains once and for all.

Just a little propaganda stunt today to drive home the point that indeed, my mod improves on DoC in many ways:

This has been fixed in my mod for a long time by just giving most combat units at least two movement, doing away with the silliness of people suddenly being able to move twice as fast through forest as through open plains once and for all.
Interesting. That would probably be very welcome for normal speed players, especially on the big map when that comes. What speed do you keep cavalry at, or the unique 3 movement cavalry at? 3/4?

Interesting. That would probably be very welcome for normal speed players, especially on the big map when that comes. What speed do you keep cavalry at, or the unique 3 movement cavalry at? 3/4?
Most cavalry have 4 movement, a few might even have 5 I think. Crossing rivers costs an extra movement point however.

Yeah it was also my hope to facilitate rapid conquests ala Alexander and Genghis Khan even on non-Marathon speeds.

Note however that pre-Cannon Siege Weapons still only have 1 movement point. Units do get to move an extra tile when moving along rivers.

Happy Day of all Working People, comrades!

New commit:
  • I FINALLY found and eliminated the source for communist city renaming not working.
  • Redcoats now get +25% combat strength in cities and are a bit cheaper to produce, but no longer deal collateral damage.
  • Plus miscellaneous minor adjustments all over the place.
Finally the specter of tsarism will haunt me no longer!

Unless somebody finds a bug to fix, I intend to finally publish the current state of the repo as the next official release version before the end of the month.

Have to say I love the mod mod especially the cultural golden ages- however I do believe this is causing many civs to go over board in tech. Played as the Greeks Romans and Babylonians so far all on monarch and lost the game before I could even think about accomplishing any uhvs. Every single time it has been due to someone else discovering a uhv Tech

Have to say I love the mod mod especially the cultural golden ages- however I do believe this is causing many civs to go over board in tech. Played as the Greeks Romans and Babylonians so far all on monarch and lost the game before I could even think about accomplishing any uhvs. Every single time it has been due to someone else discovering a uhv Tech

Babylon is definitely doable, I've won as them myself after a few failed attempts. Playing Greeks and especially Romans for the UHV can be a lot more frustrating though, I agree. I blame the tech tree, which is why in the next version I'll be tearing it down completely. Also I'll be cutting down on the Cultural Golden Ages by merging them with the ones you get from Great People. Instead of being able to trigger separate Golden Ages with Great People and Culture independently of each other I'll make it so you require a certain amount of accumulated culture to use Great People to start Golden Ages.

Btw let's pretend that when I said "by the end of the month" in my last post I meant the month of June all along, heh. I want to complete my current test-games first.

Harappan Hinduism gets wiped from the earth upon harappan collaps.

This issue has been fixed in my modmod long ago, the holy city of Hinduism is exempt from being auto-razed upon Harappan collapse.

I'm not surprised you fixed it. I recall this being discussed before, and was a little surprised it something like this wasn't in the core mod (yet).

Well done! Have you offered it as a pullrequest yet on github?

Well done! Have you offered it as a pullrequest yet on github?
Not yet. I'll look into offering some basic fixes as pullrequests when I'm bundling up the release version in a few days.

Not yet. I'll look into offering some basic fixes as pullrequests when I'm bundling up the release version in a few days.

So that was a lot more work than I had hoped it would be, not least because my timing was atrocious and Leoreth decided to commit a whole bunch of recoding work right before pull requested.

Anyway, Version 1.1 is finally released! And with a real installer too! No longer will you have to fiddle with .zip archives or the like! Here it is, in all its glory! Have fun everyone!

Naturally, I updated the OP of the thread as well as the follow-up post.

I'd like to play this with the "Carbon Color HUD" option provided by the DoC installer. Is that possible?

I noticed I can't switch to another Civ, even when turning the enable popup on in the debug, 1 turn before England appears. tried to switch from Vikings>England lol. Or is it save hard coded?

Figured it out, seems you can't switch from Vikings to England... As I did get a Khmer pop up after turning it on.

Last edited:
I noticed I can't switch to another Civ, even when turning the enable popup on in the debug, 1 turn before England appears. tried to switch from Vikings>England lol. Or is it save hard coded?

Figured it out, seems you can't switch from Vikings to England... As I did get a Khmer pop up after turning it on.

BECAUSE: Death to vile traitors to the homeland!
unnamed.jpg

Getting a bug notice, about The Phoenicians having a wrong research rate please put autosave on the forum. Maybe it already fixes in the latest nightly but i prefer this modmod ^^

It started after capturing that old Phoenician first city. I did in the world builder move 1N from Yerusalem through the WB.

Seems not related to that razing in Wb carthage cities gives an error message but when carthage is gone it isn't there anymore.

No idea how to fix it in WB.

Attachments

• AutoSave_BC-0680 Turn 150.CivBeyondSwordSave
    366.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Playing to latest release and not sure if it is a bug or I am not understanding the control portion. I am playing as Carthage and the UHV number 2 requires Iberia and Italy control I succeeded for Iberia but says fail for Italy even though on turn 127 I owned 5 cities (carales, messanna, rumi(rome), aqualeia, mediolanum) all highlighted as italy. And rome only has Barium. I was under impression I only had to have more cities than him which clearly at 5 to 1 I do. But it still has a red X for italy, green for Iberia which I have 2 cities there, no one else has any.

Playing to latest release and not sure if it is a bug or I am not understanding the control portion. I am playing as Carthage and the UHV number 2 requires Iberia and Italy control I succeeded for Iberia but says fail for Italy even though on turn 127 I owned 5 cities (carales, messanna, rumi(rome), aqualeia, mediolanum) all highlighted as italy. And rome only has Barium. I was under impression I only had to have more cities than him which clearly at 5 to 1 I do. But it still has a red X for italy, green for Iberia which I have 2 cities there, no one else has any.
I think you actually need to wipe out the Roman civilization entirely, but I'm not sure and currently unable to check the code.

Top Bottom