[MODULE]D&D Druids

WarKirby

Arty person
Druid Forms: Plan

A work in progress I'm starting on today, I wanted to share with you all.

Note: All numerical values listed here including levels and percentages, are kind of decided on intuition and may be subject to change before release, and/or pending discussion.

Basically, I've always thought FFH's druids were rather boring. Playing NWN2 has given me a few ideas on how to make them better. Not necessarily more powerful, but more flavorful and fun to use.

I'll be implementing this, hopefully as a module using Odalrick's Very Interesting Modular Python

For a start, I'm removing their nature affinity entirely. They won't need it anymore, and allowing them to keep that in addition to what I'm planning, would make them horribly overpowered.

Secondly, I'm adding a Wild Shape mechanic. In essence, the ability to polymorph oneself into a variety of different animals. Each with unique characteristics.Druids will start with the ability to use Wild Shape, but they'll only have one animal form to use. New forms will be gained automatically (ie, you don't need to spend promotions on them) as the druid levels up. Thusly, higher level druids will have an advantage in flexibility, as well as strength. See Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards

While in a Wild Shape, druids will temporarily be unable to cast spells. This restriction can be lifted later on by buying the Natural Spell promotion, (which DOES require you to spend a promotion, and has a high level prereq)after which druids will be able to cast while polymorphed.

A druid will be able to change into an animal at any time, whether they have casted or not (use up all your spells then go bear form!) but they will not be able to change back at will. While polymorphed, a druid will have a 30% chance to change back per turn. With Natural Spell, this restriction will also be lifted, and they'll gain the ability to change both ways at will.

Now, the beast forms!. All of the following will have UNITCOMBAT_BEAST. They will all also have a bonus vs recon units, to partially (but not completely) offset the natural recon bonus vs beasts and animals. Note that where strength bonuses/penalties are listed, these will be applied on top of the druid's normal 8 strength. All wild forms will have the same base stats as a druid, but modified as detailed below. Movement is an exception. movement values listed here will replace, rather than add to, the druid's base movement.
All wild forms will be immune to capture, since druids are at the same tech level as Beastmasters, it wouldn't be fun getting your bear form druid captured.

Where something like "+strength" is listed, it means I haven't decided on a value. Feel free to suggest one.

Wolf
--------------
+2 attack
2 first strikes
2 movement
40% withdrawal chan
+strength in tundra, ice
no defense bonuses

The wolf will be the only initial form available. A good all rounder, slightly offensively oriented. Thick fur makes them well suited to arctic combat, and their survival instinct lets them know when it's time to run, giving a decent withdrawal chance.

Panther lv2
--------------------------
hidden with Hidden Animals
attacks weakest unit in stack (marksman)
+jungle attack
double movement in jungle
+6 attack, -2 defense
2 movement
no defense bonuses

In short, an assassin in beast form. Panther form will have a marksman effect, exactly the same as an assassin. 2 movement and double jungle movement make them very suited for fighting the Clan or lizardmen, who often live near jungle. They will have "Hidden animals" invisibility. The weak kind. Meaning that only recon units will be able to see them.

Stag Prereq lv4
--------------------
+2 attack, +6 defense
Guardsman
3 movement
+forest and ancient forest strength.
Ignores terrain movement costs
recieves defensive bonuses

The theme here is Forest Guardian. Stags will have hefty bonuses to both attack and defense, as well as being as fast as a horseman. They will have a guardsman effect, making them all around a very flexible defender. It will be the only animal form capable of recieving defensive bonuses

Aquatic lv6
------------
+6 strength
can cross water/ocean
+50% vs Naval units
Can only be cast in or near sea.
no defense bonuses

I haven't actually decided how this will look yet, so I named it Aquatic for now. Will probably use Sea Serpent art. Designed for crossing water, and fighting enemy ships. The Aquatic form will be all around very powerful, having +6 strength to both attack and defense. But it will be limited to travelling in water.

Bear lv8
-------------
+8 strength
1 base movement
-100% withdrawal
Heals while moving
Heals after battle
causes collateral damage
High chance to go enraged per turn. (25%)
no defense bonuses

Destruction personified. The Bear Form is essentially a berserker. Bear form will double the druid's strength to 16, making it the second most powerful non-unique living unit in existence (mana affinities notwithstanding). The bear form will also have collateral damage, and will heal while moving and after every battle. Exactly how much it heals by is yet to be decided. In general, bear form is the ultimate direct combat form. The downsides, are that it's the slowest wild shape, and has a high chance to be overwhelmed by bloodlust, making it enraged and leave player control. If wild shape expires while in enraged bear form, the enraged will instantly wear off too.

Hawk lv12
----------------
8 movement
+2 line of sight
-2 attack, -4 defense
Flying
flat terrain costs
can cross ocean
no defensive bonuses.

Hawk form will be the ultimate recon/travel form. Large strength penalties will make it unsuitable for battle, but the massive movement and line of sight will make travelling across the landscape a breeze.

Natural Spell (not a form) lv 16
---------------------------------------
Allows changing back from animal forms at will
Allows casting spells while in animal form

Too much on some of the bonuses, but the idea is neat.

Sounds more like WoW druids than NWN though, Natural Spell notwithstanding XD

But with those base str values, especially for bear, it looks like it would replace everything else. Especially considering the FFh promo strength. I can see one of these being enough to take down an empire. Better than shadows in panther, better than melee units in bear, and it can even cast..

Will certainly be subject to some balancing. 16 strength on a T4 unit isn't that bad. Considering the nature affinity they had before, 4 nature mana and you're at that level. all uphill from there. I might tone it down a bit though. Or I might just reduce the Druid base str to something like 5-7.

I'll probably raise the enrage chance a bit, actually. The main drawback to bear form should be a lak of control over it's destructive power, I think.

The idea is really neat! but I can't stop thinking about how underpowered (or just less fun) would Paladins/Eidolons look after this...

(The subliminal message here is, "come up with something neat for them too...")

Sounds like an interesting idea, the whole wildshape thing.

I'm not sure I'd bother with the natural spell thing, unless Druids had much more tactically interesting spell choices. Entangle's fine (no better than blinding light as I recall), though the buff of Poison Blade is best used at home in a Recon production ctr / rally point, or Vitalize is for slowly terraforming your empire, something you're unlikely to do as a Wolf or Bear or whatever. With such a high prereq. level, it'd be odd to find yourself craving the need to entangle when so many better options would be available. *shrugs* Maybe you'd need to think on whether any other classic D&D druid options would be appropriate to make available, charming animals (though Satyrs fill that niche), doing other sorts of elemental magic, making spells like Vitalize have a big radius like Sanctify, or other ways to juice them up.

Again, interesting, GL with it! Yay Mods!

As long as you're modding druids, are you going to block them from getting the divine promotion so that they can't use high priest spells if upgraded from mid-tier priests anymore?

Are dwarven druids/redactors/etc. going to get any changes like this?

Prolly wouldn't touch Redactors. They're good enough with the Haunted Land Spam.

Prolly wouldn't touch Redactors. They're good enough with the Haunted Land Spam.

Keep in mind I'm going to nerf the HL Spam so it provides only +2 health and +1 food. But I've finally figured out how to have it replace Pigs in HL rather than just appear.

Keep in mind I'm going to nerf the HL Spam so it provides only +2 health and +1 food. But I've finally figured out how to have it replace Pigs in HL rather than just appear.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Afaik, haunted lands provide +0.5 :yuck: per tile.

Regarding other similar units, I have ideas for improving paladins too. And I'm sure I can come up with stuff for eidolons. We shall see

Since Druids seem to need some serious levels under their belts before they can access the "best new stuff", any consideration to messing around with where Druids appear on the tech tree? Maybe even, if necessary, having a low tech druid be lower base strength, less magic (Channelling I or II?), only "some of the animal forms", and something like Commune with Nature permit an upgraded druid (maybe "Druid Hierophant" or some similar D&D roots name) who can access another point or two of strength, the rest of the Channelling promos, access to the rest of the beastly forms?

Again, I'd have trouble grooming a unit from level 1 to 16 in the "fairly late" game that Commune with Nature usually comes up for, for me... but maybe that's just me, I don't seek that tech too hard.

If you make it a focus, reaching commune with nature early isn't too hard. I'd guess most people don't do it, but it is entirely possible to ignore certain branches of the tech tree. I once played a ljosalfar game where I rushed down the recon path. Got Commune with Nature before Turn 200. I never ever researched Iron working, but then, I didn't need it. When the Calabim came forme with a stack of doom consisting of mythril weapons vampires, I stood up to them with druids, FOL heroes, and a host of rangers and longbowmen. I won.

Nevertheless, I do see your point. Maybe, druids could be moved back to Animal Handling, or Feral bond. I could put tech prereqs on every form above panther, and give druids 4 base strength, with an autoaqure promotion at Commune which increases that.

Iron working is needed for feral bond, which is needed for commune, no? Or did FF change that?

edit: hurf. It's AM that needs iron.

I have to agree the idea is sort of neat but sounds OP. If they were Base STR 5 Then maybe not so bad.

For your aquatic Idea since you state no Defensive bonus, is the +50% Naval Vessels Attack only?

(I swear Haunted Lands are adding +1 :coin: for my Sicon squares in my current game)

Iron working is needed for feral bond, which is needed for commune, no? Or did FF change that?

edit: hurf. It's AM that needs iron.

Actually, it's still relevant because HL Spam will need Iron now, too. The idea is that a lesser metal wouldn't be able to contain the Spam in it's "tin." And at Mithril Working you'll be able to get a Haunted Lands Spam Snake. Basically a series of mithril Spam tins connected by little mithril rods.

The mithril is enchanted to keep the HL Spam inside the tins alive - or whatever it is that the HL are - outside the HL. Manipulating the little rods allows the "snake" to flex and move. A lowish attack but high defense unit, it'll have a series of stacked promotions connected to a spell: Open Tin.

Strength is removed with each opened tin, but doing so gives +6 strength for 1 turn and also a chance to create a HL tile.

i absolutely love this idea.
with the current numbers i think it is a little bit overpowerd but the idea is still great.
can't wait to test it :goodjob:

Thanks. I just need to find some good mithril spam graphics.

Tarquelne may have blown a gasket somewhere along the line.

To what do you refer? /insert earnestly concerned smilie here/

Top Bottom