Monkeys Control Robotic Arm With Brain Implants

Yes, we can now use armies of monkeys armed with m-16s instead of regular human soldiers. This would make a good movie... "Attack of the Robotic Monkey Clones!"

Don't you fools see?!? Haven't you ever seen Planet of the Apes? This is how they will seize power!

I think this means much more. Imagine a human being controlling 1 billion robots wirelessly by thought!!Now you got a real powerful being. Just pray that this guy do not have any strange dreams.

Why all the rampant doomsdaying and cynicism?! This is going to eventually be a tremendous advancement for humans who are paralyzed and/or lose limbs.

Tell me, how long does the human brain last (biologically)?

Because this is one step closer towards robotic bodies (which would basically grant us very long lives, depending on the life-span of the brain).

Originally posted by Plexus
Don't you fools see?!? Haven't you ever seen Planet of the Apes? This is how they will seize power!
GET your stinking robotic arm off me you damned dirty APE!:lol:

Soon (10 years) people will be able to control video game characters with their heads.

Anyway, this is really promising, but can it go in the other direction? ie. can they make the arm control the monkey, or one monkey control the other?
And how potent is this thought reader?
Seems like after they map the thought patterns associated with rebellion and anger, this could set off a surge of pain. 1984 ish anyone?

Still this is really promising, especially in digital - brain interaction.

Originally posted by Mopheo
Soon (10 years) people will be able to control video game characters with their heads.

Anyway, this is really promising, but can it go in the other direction? ie. can they make the arm control the monkey, or one monkey control the other?
Seems like after they map the thought patterns associated with rebellion and anger, this could set off a surge of pain. 1984 ish anyone?

imagine surfing the web and posting in OT all with just your thoughts!
...hmm actually that might leave even LESS thought for the content in the posts :)

but this will be very useful for people with spinal cord injuries/diseases. We'll have to wait a while before we can see the possibilities for evil :evil:

Originally posted by Mopheo

in this one meusam near where i live, they have a cricket hooked up to some sort of device, and when you move your hand, it follows. i'm not sure this counts, though.

Well, with the increasing prevalance of Alzheimer's disease and similar disorders, the brain is probably the 2nd most likely body part to 'fail'. (The heart is #1). At least in the US.

They already have remote control rats, but a human probably (hopefully) cannot be realistically controlled with a keyboard and mouse: you need to have full thought control, and the only way I can think of doing that is to have this sort of technology, where another human controls it (or a computer using recordings from another or the same humans).

And so it begins. I told you so. (Of course I did -- that's my name, after all.)

I think y'all are missing the most important corollary. If the brain can directly communicate with electronic hardware, then we are well on the way to integrating computer chips into the brain, never mind the robotic accessories. :borg: So for example, you could do a math problem on your computer chip, while using your biological brain for tasks like visual perception or strategizing -- stuff that AI sucks at.

Sucks at, for now. But presumably AI will get better at more and more tasks. And "humans" will likely respond by turning to electronic "thought" for more, and biology for less, until some"one" says, hey, why keep this messy biological nerve-mass around at all? :(

Originally posted by Ayatollah So
hey, why keep this messy biological nerve-mass around at all? :(
Thats what my ex wife said when she was throwing me out:cry:
What I really look forward to is adding a hard drive to my brain. Being able to back up important memories would be awesome. Also, no more going to school, you could download any skill and be able to use it immediately.

Of course, I think people are failing to realize that this is based around a controller-receiver system (I believe, it's the only plausible explanation), ie the brain containing the "controller" chip must send a signal to an object with a "receiver" chip-- for each and every object to be controlled. So no thought control, no robotic bodies--but a little bit of "bioenhancement" perhaps. Certainly it could be termed "computer-assisted telepathy" once the wires are eliminated.

I only wonder how long it will take for US soldiers to be able to kill people overseas without ever having to leave home. Just send a few drone aircraft over to drop some bombs and declare victory. Maybe even launch them from remote-control aircraft carriers. No blood, no mess. I doubt that would happen any time soon, though. Military people just like getting their hands dirty a little too much.:slay:

On the more ethical implications, however, I do know several people who would stand to benefit a great deal from this new technology. It has the potential to render permanent paralyzation a thing of the past. Maybe then I can keep my primo parking spot.:mischief:

It was interesting how the brain reacted - ie changed the typical function of certain sections to deal with it. and we do have a bunch of brain cell that we have no idea what they do :) (this means i can have those wings i've always dreamed of)

Originally posted by bobgote

imagine surfing the web and posting in OT all with just your thoughts!
...hmm actually that might leave even LESS thought for the content in the posts :)
:hmm:
Might as well depend on (not) tickling the spam sector of the brain...:D

but this will be very useful for people with spinal cord injuries/diseases.
Agreed.:)

About the evil side of it: I'd think before people are forced to get an implatant for dubious objectives, A LOT of other nasty things must happen.

Top Bottom