1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Monopolies and Corporations Game Mode Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

I'll crash your economy and cause your nation to go into panic.... because I am such a generous and kind person, ain't I right? ;)

Side note: I almost put tight instead of right.

2. Infantry#14

Infantry#14 Emperor

Should corporation use a similar mechanic as religion (religion and corporation mechanics were similar in civ4)? For religion, there is a pantheon, founder belief, follower belief, worship belief and enhancer belief. For corporation, there could be a "entrepreneurship", "corporation founder bonus", "corporation follower bonus", "monopoly bonus" and "SRI (socially responsible investing) bonus". Maybe you can claim "entrepreneurship" of a resource when you control 25% of world resource. Then great people (merchant, engineer) can enable the founding of the corporation, monopoly and SRI bonuses at various milestone of the corporation.

Now why would you spread corporation to other civ and grant them bonuses? Maybe the founder gets more bonuses if spread internationally. Also the founder may lose the founder bonus if another civ gets a majority stake of the resources. England may have found the Cotton corporation, but lost the founder bonus when America got 50%+ cotton resources in the world.

It would be interesting to see how corporations interact with different government types. Should Communism ban corporation?

3. Caprikel

Caprikel Warlord

North Carolina, but secretly a Minnesotan
    I can't wait for luxuries to become interesting now. The fact that they each get a unique bonus for their industry/corporation is such a great feature, since it means that you'll actually want to pursue specific luxuries for reasons other than roleplay. Before the different types of luxuries only affected the tile yield, but now the luxuries you start with can have the potential to influence how you play the game in a big way. Knowing that those Diamonds will give a city a +25% gold boost will definitely encourage me to take advantage of that by heavily building up a CH and/or Harbor in that city.
    This provides another way to specialize cities by the geography, and it will likely be more realistic than Mountains = Science city.

4. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Since they are just doing luxuries, they could repurpose ideologies as some sort of 'demand mechanic' for a economic victory. I.e. your goal is to get your good in every Civ. You can create 'demand' for the product (and it spreads), and increased demand in a Civ leads to negative amenities until it gets bad enough that the civ relents. Spies could also create 'black markets' for the good if the demand was high enough, and opening your markets to the product could be forced through a military concession.

5. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

It is hard to imagine the devs would implement complex mechanisms at this stage of the development. One can hope though, if they considered the current Industry and Corporation mechanics as meaningful experiments, and build a more complex version in the next generation of Civ series.

6. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Oh yeah, there's no chance. I was just spitballing more than anything.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  7. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

I wonder if some of the luxury resource world congress motions might affect this mode.

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

This may have been mentioned, I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, but isn't the current model of corporations just going to reward warmongers. Especially ones that conquer their entire continent. I'm sure I'll be doing that my first game. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see this in the game, I'm just not sure tall civs can benefit so much.

And of course the other issue is more yield inflation. Yields are getting out of control.

Victoria likes this.
  9. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Oh well, there goes the gold ressource mod I am using since day one. I don’t think, additional, added-in luxury ressources will work just by a charm?
    I would love, if a gifted moder could re-implement gold with the new mode in mind.

Other than that: The mode looks promising! It certainly has the potential to be “always on”.

10. Myomoto

Myomoto King

I'm interested how the 'goods' system works. Can you buy produced goods off of other players? If you capture a city with several goods in its stock exchange, do they disappear or can you move them to your other cities? Can spies steal goods with the steal great work action?

11. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

yes, do we know how this mode will affect diplomacy/trade ?

12. Starina

Starina Warlord

Have you noticed how the merchant jumps great? :bounce:
    2:52

upload_2021-1-20_14-21-33.png

13. Ticio

Ticio Prince

I thought the same for the same Wonder! but I think it would make Casa de Contratación too powerful.
    I personally think that Great merchants are already quite strong, but if a wonder gives them an extra charge... oh boy, 2 trade routes and +4 gold per trade in one city? +6 free tiles? or worst, the unique luxuries double!

I don't know if I like that you have to, presumably, choose to use the ability or to make a monopoly with a GM but I really think giving CC this ability is dangerous…
    (I say that because CC is one of my favorite wonders, and it is already difficult to get it... I'm afraid what would happen if such ability is added!)

Myomoto likes this.
  14. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

I have a few questions about this game mode:
    - monopolies look good, except AIs won't trade away their last copy, so there's that
    - there will be better and worse bonsues, so I fear more randomness I have no control over
    - as Archon Wing stated - why is this even a game mode? This should be Season pass baseline. Perhaps technical reasons?
    - from first glance the mechanics already don't seem to be (completely) thought through, for example there is no way (at least not that I know of) of acquiring resources outside borders (turtles come to mind) for a full monpoly.

Otherwise very much looking forward to this.

15. criZp

criZp Emperor

Trade will be possible because it would be ridiculous if not.

Didn't firaxis say that you get a gold bonus for trading luxes you have a monopoly on? That kind of implies that you don't lose monopoly ownership by trading away.

16. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso King

Well, it would make sense. After all, gainng more gold through trading it with other nations is the sole purpose of having a monopoly over a resource. It's not like strategic resources where having a monopoly on oil or uranium has the secondary effect of making you the fiercest war machine.
    China had a monopoly on silk, but we never said there monopoly on silk disappeared when they started selling a lot of it to the West. On the contrary, it's selling it that made the silk monopoly important and wordly renown.

17. Myomoto

Myomoto King

Pretty sure they just said you get a gold income bonus for your monopoly, not that you get more gold trading your resources away.

I believe they even said the bonus was tied to the number of civs you have established trade routes with.

18. Abaxial

Abaxial King

Still has to be seen if the AI can take advantage of this mode, considering how badly it handles the other game modes. Incidentally, where did all those screenshots come from when the mode is not yet released?

Virdrago likes this.
  19. greenOak

greenOak Warlord

Based on the video, you only need to control half the world's resources to trigger "monopoly" status.

20. Myomoto

Myomoto King

To be honest, the biggest amount of work in implementing this kind of mode is likely in the AI department. I hope that the reason we're only seeing this mode this late in the NFP (despite how often it's been requested) is because they took their time and made sure the AI can interact with the systems.

Hawke9, Eurritz and 8housesofelixir like this.