Most incomprehensible English accent?

I'm French. In my work I have to deal with Indians and Chinese people, speaking about highly technical stuff.
It's really hard. I think my English is pretty good (or so people tell me), but to understand someone that is badly speaking English is the hardest challenge I've faced yet. It's very embarrassing to make someone repeat itself more than two times in a meeting because you do not understand him.

Bozo Erectus said:
A couple of things that puzzle me about certain British accents: For instance, saying Afriker, Chiner, Americer. (replacing 'A' with 'er')
Probably the worst in the West Country, with it's strong "R"s.

Welsh can be pretty bad.

Winner said:
Don't take me wrong, the pure and clear British English is fantastic, but when I hear the opinions of people from the streets of London, I don't understand a word. They speak something only remotely similar to English I've been taught. The same for other parts of Britain.

Ironically, thanks to the US movies and TV shows, I can probably understand their slang better then yours.
What is "their" and "yours" slang?

SenhorDaGuerra said:
<< rant about Americans butchering English >>

Which is why I think we need to make a break and officially call our language "American" instead of "English". Acknowledge that there are enough differences to merit a seperate language title altogether.

blackheart said:

That's an interesting site. :)

Since its all relative, I can't really answer the question. However, when I visited London I was amazed and how many distinct accents I heard that are related just to that city.

VRWCAgent said:
Which is why I think we need to make a break and officially call our language "American" instead of "English". Acknowledge that there are enough differences to merit a seperate language title altogether.
Travel across the M62 Motorway and you'll find enough differences between Lancashire and Yorkshire Accents to warrant a separate language also.

No matter how much you attempt differentiate you're still speaking da mutha tongue. :p

PrinceOfLeigh said:
No matter how much you attempt differentiate you're still speaking da mutha tongue. :p

Well, could you all at least stop calling the hood of a car the "bonnet"? That sounds soooo wrong. :lol:

VRWCAgent said:
Well, could you all at least stop calling the hood of a car the "bonnet"? That sounds soooo wrong. :lol:
I don't call it that! Would you please stop calling the other end of the car a "Trunk"?

Bozo Erectus said:
A couple of things that puzzle me about certain British accents: For instance, saying Afriker, Chiner, Americer. (replacing 'A' with 'er')

Me mum does that with Idea. Er, Idear. :shake:

And she's native californian.

VRWCAgent said:
We'll swap "bonnet" if you arrange for this site to be spelt correctly "Civilisation Fanatics Forum" :goodjob:

'Ello, guvna.

Americans and Britons clearly speak the same language. I can listen to BBC anytime of the day and understand every word.

Languages evolve. Speakers separated by large distances will have greater differences in their speech over time. So Americans aren't going to spell words like armor and aluminum the same as Britons do.

English, as far as I can see compared to other languages, is an amazingly malleable language, and it has far more room to evolve than something like German. My German teacher told me that the German that modern Germans speak is the same as the German that was spoken 500 years ago. Not so with English. So the differences between American and British English will only increase over time.

Phlegmak said:
Americans and Britons clearly speak the same language. I can listen to BBC anytime of the day and understand every word.

Reminds me of a poem I had to study for GCSE:

this is thi
six a clock
news thi
man said n
thi reason
a talk wia
BBC accent
iz coz yi
widny wahnt
mi ti talk
aboot thi