Motivations for being a fascist

Don't know any.

Its appeal same as any other extremism. Economic disl in cation/alienation from society.

Appeal is imposing order on a chaotic world.

If Clinton and Biden got more corporate $$$ than Trump would that mean they're fascists? I dont think Trump made many friends on Wall St or in government, sure looked like the establishment and deep state preferred Democrats. Fascism arrives wearing a halo, Jesus wore a crown of thorns.
I see you believe in imaginary friends and conspiracy theories... noted.

Is this about Fascist Italy, or about fascism as a general phenomenon? They are not mirror images.

Is this about Fascist Italy, or about fascism as a general phenomenon? They are not mirror images.
About people who don't necessarily self-identify as fascists, but being labeled as such. Clearly stated in the OP.

I've long considered fascism to be a kind of existential cowardice.

The fascist cannot accept the possibility that they are responsible for their own problems. Therefor there must be some enemy which is responsible instead. Was it the Jews, the commies, the Gypsies, the Gays, the Blacks, the immigrants, the intelligentsia, the elitists, the liberals? Doesn't really matter who you pick. There is a "them", and "they" are responsible for everything bad which happens to "us".

So what do you do? You hurt them right back. You use the government, and you oppress them. You kill them.

That's sure to solve all your problems.

I see you believe in imaginary friends and conspiracy theories... noted.

I dont know if Jesus existed, but his message does with or without him. He wasn't the first person to notice hypocrisy. And corporate donations are a reality, the conspiracies are what they get in return for them. Accusing Trump of being a fascist based on corporate control of the government is like Pharisees condemning the adulteress, the corruption is bipartisan. Trump's trade policies upset Wall St, they've spent decades investing in China. Thats why the Democrats have been vacuuming up corporate $$$.

I dont know if Jesus existed, but his message does with or without him. He wasn't the first person to notice hypocrisy. And corporate donations are a reality, the conspiracies are what they get in return for them. Accusing Trump of being a fascist based on corporate control of the government is like Pharisees condemning the adulteress, the corruption is bipartisan. Trump's trade policies upset Wall St, they've spent decades investing in China. Thats why the Democrats have been vacuuming up corporate $$$.

Most corporate money goes to Republicans.

Financial-services firms and trade associations, as well as their employees, spent a record $2.9 billion on campaign donations and lobbying in the 2019-20 election cycle, according to a new report by Americans for Financial Reform (AFR).

Bloomberg LP, founded by former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, spent the most cash, and Sen. Jon Ossoff, a Georgia Democrat, received more money than any other current member of Congress, the report said.

The sector spent around 2.5 times more money on electing President Joe Biden than it did on reelecting former President Donald Trump, the data showed.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wal...obbying-election-trump-biden-president-2021-4

Financial-services firms and trade associations, as well as their employees, spent a record $2.9 billion on campaign donations and lobbying in the 2019-20 election cycle, according to a new report by Americans for Financial Reform (AFR).

Bloomberg LP, founded by former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, spent the most cash, and Sen. Jon Ossoff, a Georgia Democrat, received more money than any other current member of Congress, the report said.

The sector spent around 2.5 times more money on electing President Joe Biden than it did on reelecting former President Donald Trump, the data showed.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wal...obbying-election-trump-biden-president-2021-4

ok but so what?

What do you think these links show? What do you think they mean?

Personally, I am surrounded by fascists. These people support authoritarianism and the crushing of any form of political activism and extra-judicial detention of any inconvenient groups, which they consider a danger to stability. They are definitely fundamentally motivated by fear, but it doesn't seem to be a strong sense of fear, since none of the threats they perceive actually exist right now. I guess it's perhaps more of a sense of general insecurity - they feel they can lose what they have at the drop of a hat to faceless forces they don't comprehend. Also, there's a strong element of brainwashing, where they buy into fascist ideas because they were taught that those are the correct way of doing things. They don't see themselves as fascists, though, and may not even understand the term.
Out of curiosity, when did you first notice this? How did this perception develop?

Last edited:
I shared a house for a short while many years ago with someone whose only book was Mein Kampf.

He was an alcoholic, absent father with a huge chip on his shoulder about relative perceived status of jobs and he had a driving ban to round it all out.

He left owing me money.

Edit: He didn't like Jews despite not being able to name a single one he had met personally.

I shared a house for a short while many years ago with someone whose only book was Mein Kampf.

He was an alcoholic, absent father with a huge chip on his shoulder about relative perceived status of jobs and he had a driving ban to round it all out.

He left owing me money.

Edit: He didn't like Jews despite not being able to name a single one he had met personally.

What a trash, glad in the end he walk himself out to the bin.

His lack of achievement makes him seek after something that he is never struggle to be proud about, like his race, nation, lineage, or even the mole on his ash. To makes himself even higher, he need to trash other to pump himself up, like other race, other nation or peoples who got inferior moles and moles placement or even worse the moleless gentile.

Like I said, trash.

What a trash, glad in the end he walk himself out to the bin.

His lack of achievement makes him seek after something that he is never struggle to be proud about, like his race, nation, lineage, or even the mole on his ash. To makes himself even higher, he need to trash other to pump himself up, like other race, other nation or peoples who got inferior moles and moles placement or even worse the moleless gentile.

Like I said, trash.

1 thing about fascism.
I feel (but don't know) that people become fascists because of their prejudices or inadequacies or desire for power.
The ideology comes afterwards to provide a justification for them.

I don't think thats true for many other belief systems, Incels being an obvious exception.

Out of curiosity, when did you first notice this? How did this perception develop?

I don't know when I first noticed it. I live in a place where such views are commonplace and people actually do come out and say why they believe what they believe, although most of them have never heard of fascism.

I don't know when I first noticed it. I live in a place where such views are commonplace and people actually do come out and say why they believe what they believe, although most of them have never heard of fascism.
It sounds like in your case its "always been like this" rather than a "slow and progressive change" turned people into ideological units. Pity, I hoped that it was the first option, in that case there's at least a chance of healing.

1 thing about fascism.
I feel (but don't know) that people become fascists because of their prejudices or inadequacies or desire for power.
The ideology comes afterwards to provide a justification for them.

I don't think thats true for many other belief systems, Incels being an obvious exception.
Lol that describes how people choose most of their belief systems.

Regarding facism I don't know much about the ideology, here in the states it seems mostly used as a pejorative. At least one forum member here who uses it often also rails about how he wouldn't mind putting certain groups of the population in camps & probably fantasizes about outright expulsion/extermination.

I feel like we should take our cravings to demonize each other with a grain of salt.

The only person I know who is a fascist is Trump... and yes, I've actually met him.

Accusing Trump of being a fascist based on corporate control of the government is like Pharisees condemning the adulteress, the corruption is bipartisan. Trump's trade policies upset Wall St, they've spent decades investing in China. Thats why the Democrats have been vacuuming up corporate $$$.
Trump's goal was to merge his businesses with the government for his enrichment. He is still doing it using campaign funds to enrich his companies. His PAC is paying Trump Tower $37,000/month for space not used by 3 people.

I do not know any open fascists, but Bernardo Bertolucci's 1970 film, THE CONFORMIST, is a masterpiece on this topic. The film is essentially a psychoanalysis on what drives someone to fascism, particularly the desire to be "normal" and fit in with (a) society

Last edited:
This much we can know from political science. But do you know any fascists personally and their reasons for being one?
It's curious but a lot of people here are followers of the old movement called ‘Peronism’ which holds expressly anti-Communist and anti-Jewish views, a disdain for democracy and/or republic, a personality cult and was, of course, f(o)unded to prevent Argentina from joining the Allies against Germany and Italy in WWII, later to provide help to escaping Axis hierarchs and ideologues, and to this day remains a corporatist, anti-democratic movement that tries to convince us that its admiration for Mussolini is something to overlook.

So, yes, I know a lot of fascists.

Top Bottom