Motivations for being a fascist

aelf

Ashen One
Ironically, fascism seems similar to Bolshevism and other historical revolutionary movements in that it has an intellectual vanguard that buys into the ideology, but it gains critical mass from people who are motivated to support it for other reasons. Maybe fear of the other or fear of losing their economic status.

This much we can know from political science. But do you know any fascists personally and their reasons for being one?

Personally, I am surrounded by fascists. These people support authoritarianism and the crushing of any form of political activism and extra-judicial detention of any inconvenient groups, which they consider a danger to stability. They are definitely fundamentally motivated by fear, but it doesn't seem to be a strong sense of fear, since none of the threats they perceive actually exist right now. I guess it's perhaps more of a sense of general insecurity - they feel they can lose what they have at the drop of a hat to faceless forces they don't comprehend. Also, there's a strong element of brainwashing, where they buy into fascist ideas because they were taught that those are the correct way of doing things. They don't see themselves as fascists, though, and may not even understand the term.

A motivation that I can relate to is something entirely different. Since so many around me support fascism, it makes me slightly regret not joining the authorities so I can put my boot on the faces of some of these people. I think they will like it, since they are believers in it. Why not give people what they want, eh?

Ironically, fascism seems similar to Bolshevism and other historical revolutionary movements in that it has an intellectual vanguard that buys into the ideology, but it gains critical mass from people who are motivated to support it for other reasons. Maybe fear of the other or fear of losing their economic status.

This much we can know from political science. But do you know any fascists personally and their reasons for being one?

Personally, I am surrounded by fascists. These people support authoritarianism and the crushing of any form of political activism and extra-judicial detention of any inconvenient groups, which they consider a danger to stability. They are definitely fundamentally motivated by fear, but it doesn't seem to be a strong sense of fear, since none of the threats they perceive actually exist right now. I guess it's perhaps more of a sense of general insecurity - they feel they can lose what they have at the drop of a hat to faceless forces they don't comprehend. Also, there's a strong element of brainwashing, where they buy into fascist ideas because they were taught that those are the correct way of doing things. They don't see themselves as fascists, though, and may not even understand the term.

A motivation that I can relate to is something entirely different. Since so many around me support fascism, it makes me slightly regret not joining the authorities so I can put my boot on the faces of some of these people. I think they will like it, since they are believers in it. Why not give people what they want, eh?

Because we are better than them. They just want to reduce the problem as simple as possible, and try to ignore any consequences or injustice as long as it benefit their "security". You remember when Doraemon want to bomb Nobita house whenever there is a rat? I mean, it's like that.

I don't really ever expect to find a satisfying answer to this. Real evil is extremely banal.

But then I don't understand some peoples obsession with serial killers either. Yes, they're shocking and transgressive but there is no truth there. I just don't get the mystique some people ascribe.

I don't regard fascism as having any particular intellectual basis.

No

Personally, I am surrounded by fascists.

Have you tried asking them why they are fascists or, if they don't admit to that, why they have the views they express?

These people support authoritarianism and the crushing of any form of political activism and extra-judicial detention of any inconvenient groups, which they consider a danger to stability. They are definitely fundamentally motivated by fear, but it doesn't seem to be a strong sense of fear, since none of the threats they perceive actually exist right now. I guess it's perhaps more of a sense of general insecurity - they feel they can lose what they have at the drop of a hat to faceless forces they don't comprehend. Also, there's a strong element of brainwashing, where they buy into fascist ideas because they were taught that those are the correct way of doing things. They don't see themselves as fascists, though, and may not even understand the term.

You regret not being a state informer?

You regret not being a state informer?

Its pretty funny when people who wish for leopards to eat faces suddenly get their face eaten by a leopard, because they simply presumed it never could and never would happen to them.

Well, not really, because generally they've already voted/acted to bring about a state in which faces are eaten and thats everyones problem. But it makes it slightly more bearable.

Since so many around me support fascism, it makes me slightly regret not joining the authorities so I can put my boot on the faces of some of these people.
May be you should join the authorities and crush faces of those despicable people with your iron heel?

May be you should join the authorities and crush faces of those despicable people with your iron heel?

You know he try to allude sympathy with the scenario? It's quite obvious that's not to be taken at face value.

What IF Aelf walk down the pragmatic reductionist path of the fascist (B is evil, B is A, hence all A are evil), and makes them taste their own medicine. Perhaps with that peoples would think and say "oh yea, I certainly don't want to be treated like that, so I shouldn't promote such treatment for others".

It's a great statement from Aelf.

I've only known one real unashamed fascist.
He was a Glaswegian working-class protestant so I presume he began with prejudices against Catholics and the Irish, began frequenting political circles where such attitudes were acceptable, and was influenced by their other views.

edit: He wasn't stupid and came across as quite pleasant so long as you didn't fit into one of his hate groups and didn't discuss politics with him.

Last edited:

Did you just repeat what I said and acted like you made a point?

Where/how did you meet him?
I met him decades ago at Mar-a-Lago... shortly after he took possession of it. I was working for an investment banking firm at the time and we were holding a mining conference in Florida. Trump volunteered to host a party at his club for all the mining execs and our firm. I found his place very garish and it quickly became apparent that the only reason he wanted to host the party was to work the room for money. He was a total ass and only talked about himself.

If Clinton and Biden got more corporate $$$ than Trump would that mean they're fascists? I dont think Trump made many friends on Wall St or in government, sure looked like the establishment and deep state preferred Democrats. Fascism arrives wearing a halo, Jesus wore a crown of thorns.

The March on Rome was almost 100 years ago... we always associate Mussolini with the war, which feels more recent, but it’s odd to think we’re nearly a century away from it. Wow!

Fascists? Nah, none that I’m aware of.

Top Bottom