1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Movement limits in early eras

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by 45°38'N-13°47'E, May 11, 2017.

1. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

I just tested a workaround by adding ignoreterraindamage for grassland to Woodsman I and moved a unit to a distant grass plot but it still recieved the damage per turn. My plan was to create a promotion chain that enables further exploration on different terrains but that won't work.

So something is wrong in the way the game calculates distance damage when the terrain really does damage and a promotion gives imunity to it.

2. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

And an other thing: It does not always work.
    The workaround is to save the game, exit and reload it. Sometimes more then once. But according to my experience, this bug disappears completely by the middle ancient era.

So I feel that it has to do something with city founding. Maybe once all civs settle their 1st city this problem cease to exist for all civs. But as a second thought it is quite unlikely because no civs remain unsettled 50+ turns.

A more logical thing is that this problem gets solved when the 1st tech with ML range expanding gets discovered. CoM has such a tech in the ancient era.

3. benfp

benfp Chieftain

Does the "movement limits" feature apply to Barbarian-controlled units?

4. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

AFAIK no.

5. benfp

benfp Chieftain

Thank you for your quick reply

6. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

Actually barbarians work very differently in many thing. They are immune to Terrain Damage too.

7. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

You sure? Because any time I have a huge desert or arctic wasteland near a city and see barbarians spawn in it, they always approach my cities at half or critical health. I haven't seen one be KILLED by Terrain Damage though (That 0.1 health Maceman stands on them Ice tiles for like ever....) but I certainly see them having taken damage from something out there - and it's not other nations and their scouts or military, since they're not huddling in those inhospitable wastes.

8. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

Maybe it's just animals?
    But if they aren't immune than thay shouldn't stop at 0.1 health but get destroyed finally.

9. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Might just be animals then.

I'm mostly positive the standard units don't die to Terrain Damage though, since I followed a barb Maceman around with a Spy and there was Ice tiles for miiiiiiles and he just wandered around at critical health never dying :crazyeye:

10. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

Animals are not supposed to take terrain damage at all. Barbarian units are supposed to have their terrain damage divided by 3. I can't find where in the code that terrain damage doesn't kill barbarians.

11. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

Well, if barbs take only 1/3 terrain damage that might be just low enough to counter with heal action.
    But according my past experiences I still have the feeling that they are just immune, though I can't prove it :dunno:

12. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

I tried cranking the terrain damage from Tundra from -15 to -60 and terrain damage was enough to kill a barbarian Cho-Ko-Nu (I just picked a unit at random). So it can happen but I think it's very rare.

Zeta Nexus likes this.
  13. swapoer

swapoer Warlord

I am trying the movement limit feature. Is there any interface showing the rang of your movement ? Or you have to find out the hard way?

14. moviebrain

moviebrain Chieftain

You have more or less to find out the hard way. If you have Terrain Damage On and a Unit selected, then hovering above a Tile with the mouse should show you if your unit will take damage on this tile or not.

swapoer likes this.
  15. os79

os79 Deity

I played with Movement Limits on with 18 civs, no BarbCivs. And my other usual settings. I felt like turns were taking way too long. So I was thinking about how my units scouted and understood ML's features. I thought that because of separate areas applied to different civs, it take more time calculate without some sort of persistent data. I hadn't noticed before because I played with much fewer civs with BarbCivs on. Turns became very long later in game, just like usual anyway. But with no BarbCivs and 18 civs, turns went slow fast in early game was my suspicion.

So I went ahead and played a new game with same settings except ML. This time it was off. The early game is moving forward at decent speed and then later on will settle down as usual.

I wanted to let you know so you can figure out the math behind the code. Maybe the math is final but need a temporary in-game persistent storage somewhere so some calculations are not repeated? Just an idea.

16. os79

os79 Deity

My mistake. It might have to do more with numbers of starting civs and size of the map than ML. Disregard my preceding post.