1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Movement limits in early eras

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by 45°38'N-13°47'E, May 11, 2017.

1. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

By "new world" I meant the other continents.

2. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Either way by the time you get there odds are you have reached the point where you have or are close to the early Renaissance anyway. So both cutoff locations would apply.

Honestly though at this point I feel that the best thing would do is just make two variants of the mod, one with the cutoff at say cartography and the other at where ever the others feel like would be good and just do some playtesting.

3. Fozman

Fozman Chieftain

Or just not use this game option, which is what I've chosen to do.

4. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Chieftain

My thought exactly.

5. aggri1

aggri1 Chieftain

Hi.
    Just wondering what the distance limit should be. I'm playing on a standard sized map, with Terrain Damage on, and the options list (Ctrl-Shift-Q) includes Movement Limits, but I've got units freely wandering at least 14 squares from the nearest city (start of game). Terrain Damage is shown in the terrain mouse hover text, and applied to units, but no movement limit is yet apparent. Is it just more than 14 squares? Wouldn't have thought so...

EDIT: cleared cache, re-downloaded files, etc... and now my units are being damaged because they're too far away. Must have been a technical problem.

Cheers, A.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  6. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Chieftain

If Terrain Damage is ON when using Movement Limits, there's no physical limit that bounces you back (like happens when Terrain Damage is OFF). You can wander freely but your units get damage for being too far from your empire. So the limit is actually given by how long a unit can survive the Terrain Damage, usually a few tiles.

7. Rambo919

Rambo919 Chieftain

I end up using scouts on auto explore probing the movement limit and occationally sending a fighter to clear out barbs when they become too much.

8. MechatronicJazz

MechatronicJazz Chieftain

I just want to say that I actually really like this mechanic so far. I'm playing without Terrain Damage, so I'm dealing with the hard cap on exploration. For those pointing to medieval examples of long range exploration as evidence for an earlier lifting of the movement limit, you actually can explore that far, but it requires a little more effort.

Conquest allows you to go as far as you like, you just need to keep the occasional city as a supply base, which is realistic and adds another element of strategy when picking which cities to keep.

Trade exploration is represented a few different ways:
    1) Actual trade routes are not restricted as far as I know, so even if you can't see a part of the map, you can trade with it. Remember, you can trade contacts and establish embassies, which from what I've seen allows basic knowledge of the civs on all nearby continents to be possible very early on (I play perfect world 2 maps).
    2) Road networks get pretty good by the middle ages in the game, so if you connect up to your neighbors then you can often get pretty far with Right of Passage Agreements. This is akin to the Silk Road, as some people have mentioned. (There is of course also the Silk Road Wonder)
    3) Open Borders allows unrestricted travel. If you want to peacefully explore the far reaches of your continent then getting Open Borders with as many civs as possible is a must. This can be difficult and sometimes will not be possible, but with Restricted Movement, following policies of appeasement and trade or intimidation and protection (vassals, war allies) have an added reward.

I'm sure this can still be tweaked to balance, but I think the overall mechanic is excellent. One suggestion I do have is that it might make sense to allow forts to behave like cities at some point. I really like the idea of having to build "Trade Posts" in order to explore an area, maintain contact, send missionaries and Great Merchants, etc. It could also serve as an alternative for supply bases during conquest. I suppose, as always, the trouble would be teaching the AI to use them.