Muslim Beaten In Idaho Prison For "Several Minutes" As Prison Guards Apparently Watch

I'm curious what their procedures are for this kind of action. Did the guard not act because his employer states that he can't until backup arrives, or some other factor? Or did he not act because of the implication this video makes?

The reason I ask is I work at a bank and our "rules" state that your employment will be terminated if you interfere in a robbery. It doesn't matter if someone is getting beaten to death and you have the means to stop it, you will get terminated. If this prison has procedures such as my employer, then it brings other questions.

Do we know what their procedures are? Was he supposed to act? Was he supposed to wait?
Well, this was a prison, not a bank. This, imho, means that they should be able to:
1) assess the risk of violence between inmates, esp. if they release a snitch right back into the midst of his former cellmates. If the facts presented in the article are correct, it is obvious the guy was intentionally set up for beating. Although why they would "reward" cooperation like this is strange.
2) be able to react in force within like two minutes, not "wait for backup".

I find it interesting that they push the fact he's a Muslim in the video when they state the reason for the attack was because he "snitched". His religion appears to have nothing to do with it.
Me too.

Who here thinks that private prisons are a good idea? Anyone?

For the lulz, at least?

I think its a good idea, but there needs to be restrictions. However, I don't mind either if we don't have them. A prison is not a free enterprise thing, you go because you committed a crime.

Private opinion, now: There is a man from Red Deer on death row in Idaho. He's been there since about 1983 (seriously). He's due to be executed in January next year, and I can't imagine why they would think that's a good idea after this guy having been in prison for close to 30 YEARS already! No, he wasn't wrongly convicted; he did in fact murder two people. But the "system" down there is just ludicrous.

Note that I'm not saying he should be released. But executed? After all these years - nearly three decades - who would that benefit?

To be quite frank, I think a speedy, public execution would do a lot more good then a lethal injection 30 years after the fact, so I don't support the idiotic way that its being done in Idaho. There is a need for appeals yes, but not that many. Appeals should be centered on wrongful conviction, not "The punishment is too harsh." Those appeals should be thrown out. If you were stupid enough to commit such a crime, then tough cookies for you. If you didn't commit a crime, appeal your innocence.

Also, its idiotic how these things can go to SCOTUS. Number one, they have no constitutional right to be involved. Punishment would fall to the purview of the state government, according to the 10th amendment. Not only does the Federal government have no right to command or condemn Capital Punishment except in DC and the military (Both of which they should enact it for) they have no right to be involved in the process at all. It should be totally state handled. It should only go to the state court, and only if there's a good reason. If the evidence is all circumstantial and there is reasonable doubt, they are not guilty. Its time to stop compromising. If we are sure they are guilty (And by sure I mean sure enough to convict, beyond reasonable doubt) then the murderer/rapist should be executed, every time, unless they were insane or a minor (And honestly the age should be 15 at highest. I find it insulting that the government thinks people my age are not able to understand NOT to kill people. It insults my intelligence.) If there isn't enough evidence, DON'T CONVICT THEM!

Yes there will be mistakes, but the majority of the ones we have is because a jury has a preconceived belief of guilt. Another thing that would fix this problem is to continue to require 12 votes for guilt, but require at least half the jury to think he's guilty for the trial to even continue. If less than half the jury thinks he's guilty, he's probably not.

As for the execution still happening after 30 years, I still think justice should be served. Normally it takes 10 years and THAT makes my head spin. But 30? The system is moronic! However, if they DON'T execute him, then they are giving up one of the very few cases justice is served. I would rather them continue to use it, in fact, every sane state should start using it Texas-style. Give SCOTUS an overload. Force them to simplify the system.

Also- @Brian- I am going to reply to you so as to actually debate rather than get into a habit of name calling.

Finally of course I have problems with the American trial system, it is unbalanced, gives far more protection to the wealthy than the poor, and is far too trigger happy with it's punishments. When the Irish judiciary, one of the tougher judiciaries in Europe, is loath to allow extradition warrants to the US due to worries over sentencing being too tough and defendants not getting a fair trial, you know there is something serious wrong.

I disagree (In general) that sentencing is too tough, with the exception of victimless crimes (Which should NEVER get prison time, if they should be illegal at all), I agree on the fair trial. We do screw it up, and your statistics make this clear. However, that isn't a problem with the death penalty, but the trial system. As I said to Valka, while I think a unanimous verdict of guilty being needed is reasonable, I think its kind of silly that a unanimous verdict of innocent is needed to let them go. That isn't presuming people innocent like you are supposed to.

1) It is my own opinion that any society advanced enough to properly enforce this punishment is advanced beyond the point of needing it.

I consider it to be a matter of justice, not necessity. And to protect prisoners. The only other alternative for mass murder is solitary, and I consider that more cruel besides.
2) It is utterly wasteful, in that it gives the convict no chance to redeem, himself or to rehabilitate himself, both of which can be done with the perfectly adequate life without parole.

I don't know about Ireland, but in the US "Life without parole" is a complete joke. The average sentence actually served for murder is about 5 1/2 years. This is due to a completely moronic system of plea bargaining, and parole laws changing all the time that make "Life without parole" suddenly allow parole. One man who raped and murdered a 14 year old girl was going to be executed, until the mother asked the judge to give him life without parole instead. The judge agreed. Within 5 years, parole law changed. He is now eligible for parole every two years.

Now, if this were changed, would I still support capital punishment? Yes I would, but I'd be more understanding of the other way, which, at least in the US, is a fail.

3) It discriminates against the poor in society, as in they are more likely to receive the capital tariff when the crime carries it.

I agree with this, and it is extremely unfortunate. Since I would consider anyone who kills someone intentionally to be deserving of the death penalty anyway, I would consider the problem to not be that we are executing too many poor people, but that we are not executing enough wealthy people. My immediate solution is ban plea barganing, to make accepting a bribe in a capital case a capital crime, and something to take the lawyers out of the free market (Law should not be a private enterprise.) One way I would possibly do this is to have all state trial cases run by state lawyers, and to have the best lawyers conduct the most serious cases (On both sides.) I wouldn't normally trust the government to do something like this, but in this one instance the free market cannot handle it.

4) There is no method of execution yet devised which can pass the "cruel and unusual" test, which is part of US law.

"Cruel and Unusual" is proportional to the crime. Is life in prison cruel and unusual? Nope. Is life for shoplifting cruel and unusual? Yep.

In a murder case, I only think it can be cruel and unusual if it actively tortures the criminal. Even a public hanging does not do this, and yet it strikes fear into any wanna-be murderers.

5) All too often it is used to get rid of undesirable members of society, like in totalitarian countries like China. Allowing it in functioning democracies just removes any chance we have of protesting against this barbarity.

You have every right to protest capital punishment. I want people who murder executed, not the guy who wants to let the murderer live. Free speech and all that. The US has capital punishment, and protesting it is legal.

P.S. do not bother to reply to this as this is the last time ever that I will be responding to your know-nothing know-it-all brand of lunacy. Disagreements I can handle (it's simply part of life, like) but your mutilation of the facts and other people's arguements and words to fit your very warped world-view ("I'm Dommy3K, I'm always right, anyone who disagrees with me is not just wrong but a spawn of satan") is so far beyond the pale that I will no longer counternance.

Please chill with the insults. I do not pretend to know everything, or to consider those who disagree with me the Spawn of Satan. And I do not appreciate insults. Debate without them please.

Well, this was a prison, not a bank.

Note that we've seen in the news where a police officer responds to a shooting/domestic assault and (s)he sits outside waiting for backup while the attack/assault is still taking place, due to procedures he must follow. Plus, anymore most employers have procedures you are supposed to follow, so I see no reason why I can't ask what procedures, if any, this guard was supposed to follow.

Note that we've seen in the news where a police officer responds to a shooting/domestic assault and (s)he sits outside waiting for backup while the attack/assault is still taking place, due to procedures he must follow. Plus, anymore most employers have procedures you are supposed to follow, so I see no reason why I can't ask what procedures, if any, this guard was supposed to follow.

Your last point (That it makes sense to ask what procedures he was supposed to follow) makes sense, but the rest of it is silly. WHY do we inhibit our police officers from taking action to save lives? That is wrong.

What do you define as victimless crimes?

I would consider anything that has no direct victim victimless. The most common being drug use.

Which, even if those things should be illegal, they should not be locked up for it.

Something like DWI would not be a victimless crime because it is causing active danger.

I would consider anything that has no direct victim victimless. The most common being drug use.

Which, even if those things should be illegal, they should not be locked up for it.

So how would you punish someone who broke one of your victimless crimes? Also, how would you enforce such a law when the individual who is considering breaking the law knows that even if they are caught, they won't receive any jail time?

So how would you punish someone who broke one of your victimless crimes? Also, how would you enforce such a law when the individual who is considering breaking the law knows that even if they are caught, they won't receive any jail time?

Number one, how is speeding enforced? I am personally not a big fan of victimless crimes being on the books at all, and have many ethical problems with them being there, but if its absolutely necessary for society to ban certain drugs, I don't care. However, to put someone in jail for it, let alone prison, is insane. A fine should be the punishment for that sort of thing.

The only crimes that should get jail time are violent crimes.

The reason I ask is I work at a bank and our "rules" state that your employment will be terminated if you interfere in a robbery. It doesn't matter if someone is getting beaten to death and you have the means to stop it, you will get terminated. If this prison has procedures such as my employer, then it brings other questions.
Was your job in the bank to protect the employees and the customers from frequent violent attacks by other customers? Don't you think it makes sense to forbid anybody but a trained armed guard to try to interfere where innocent people could very likely die as a direct result?

Don't you think the CCA would have mentioned it if by now that was actually true? Don't you think "several minutes" is too long for prison guards to respond to someone being nearly beaten to death with a rest break in between? Isn't that their primary job responsibility to react promptly to such occurances?

And it's actually even worse than that:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/sur...rds-standing-by-during-brutal-prison-beating/

About two minutes after Haver stopped the beating of his own accord, the metal cellblock door was unlocked. Haver was handcuffed and Elabed was examined for signs of life. He bled inside his skull and would spend three days in a coma.

CCA officials maintain the prison is safe and run according to state and federal standards. But at least some of those standards appear to be violated in the video — including a requirement that emergency care arrive within four minutes of a disturbance. It took medical workers nearly six minutes to get to Elabed — a delay that can be life-threatening in serious injuries, according to state prisons officials.

“Nurses and medical professionals believe you need to get a heart beating and breathing started within four minutes or the person’s going to die,” Idaho Department of Correction spokesman Jeff Ray said.
I think it is pretty clear what actually happened here.

Number one, how is speeding enforced? I am personally not a big fan of victimless crimes being on the books at all, and have many ethical problems with them being there, but if its absolutely necessary for society to ban certain drugs, I don't care. However, to put someone in jail for it, let alone prison, is insane. A fine should be the punishment for that sort of thing.

The only crimes that should get jail time are violent crimes.

Speeding can be enforced by jail time. Here in Missouri if you exceed the speed limit by a certain amount (I believe is 25 or over) you can be arrested and sent to jail. While I can agree that not all victimless crimes should receive jail time, you also need to consider about repeat offenders.

Speeding can be enforced by jail time. Here in Missouri if you exceed the speed limit by a certain amount (I believe is 25 or over) you can be arrested and sent to jail. While I can agree that not all victimless crimes should receive jail time, you also need to consider about repeat offenders.

I don't think mere speeding on a highway should ever warrant jail time. I suppose if you are driving 100 miles an hour in a community your crime is no longer victimless because your actions are likely to lead to someone's death or serious injury.

On a highway or major however, mere speeding should never get jail time. Reckless driving perhaps, but not mere speeding. The problem is, you can be a perfectly sane, safe driver, and still be driving 25 over, I have seen it done. Not saying it should not be punished, it absolutely should, but throwing someone in jail? Seems a bit drastic. If the justice system feels someone is a danger on the road, take away their license. The only justification I can see to lock someone up for a traffic offense is if it actually does cause harm.

As for repeat offenders, I see your point, but fines can also be raised and community service be enforced, and I consider both to be more practical and fiscally responsible. Obviously there are cases when jail is necessary for safety, but usually in those cases the crime is no longer victimless.

Not even all crimes that have a victim should gain jail time. For instance, I don't think theft should get jail time unless it also involves breaking and entering or violence. I find a restitution system to be better

I wouldnt call drug use a victimless crime either. Just witness what the drug cartels in Mexico are doing, and its easy to spot that drug use is just the end piece of an illegal system rife with victims from top to bottom. The harm of addiction also often makes the users themselves or their families victims as well. There is still an end cost to society of even simple drug use done in the private confines of your own home, ergo, simply not victimless.

I wouldnt call drug use a victimless crime either. Just witness what the drug cartels in Mexico are doing, and its easy to spot that drug use is just the end piece of an illegal system rife with victims from top to bottom. The harm of addiction also often makes the users themselves or their families victims as well. There is still an end cost to society of even simple drug use done in the private confines of your own home, ergo, simply not victimless.

The drug cartels are doing more than just using/selling drugs.

And if people are addicted, and you are interested in stopping addiction, WHAT THE HECK is jail going to do to help.

Also, if the only victim is yourself, its still victimless. If your family is suffering, then deal with it when it causes suffering to families. Though that's the prime reason I (Currently) support banning harder drugs.

Because he and his brother have been guards in poorly managed prisons which are seen as a travesty in any civilized country, that means he must be an expert in how to properly run one?

I think the fact he actually works in a prison means he knows more about the situation than people who havent worked in a prison. There is no substitute for experience.

The drug cartels are doing more than just using/selling drugs.

But they are doing those things in the interests of their selling drugs. You cant deny that.

And if people are addicted, and you are interested in stopping addiction, WHAT THE HECK is jail going to do to help.

Well, remove their ease of access to said drugs for one thing (yes, I know you can still get drugs in prison, but not as easy as you could on the street). Offer rehabilitative services for another. I am sure there are other reasons as well.

Also, if the only victim is yourself, its still victimless.

Uhm. No. The presence of a victim, even if its yourself, negates the issue being 'victimless' (i.e. no victim at all).

If your family is suffering, then deal with it when it causes suffering to families.

Thats not how addiction works.

Because he and his brother have been guards in poorly managed prisons which are seen as a travesty in any civilized country, that means he must be an expert in how to properly run one?

I was merely asking a question regarding his previous statement, which was obviously not clear.

Ouch, indeed.

I was, he still is. And they are not poorly managed, merely violent, full of violent gang members and run behind those locked doors by it's own self-contained society with it's own rules. It always makes me laugh when people with no experience claim they know more.

This private prison is very questionable btw. I'm not a fan of private prisons, and to tell the truth I'm not a fan of any prison system where the guards are not actual law enforcement officers fully trained with the power to arrest. You wind up with sub-par guards who either can't or won't maintain safety.

You never send a snitch back to his old unit. You don't even release him into the general population if you have room in protective custody. And when a fight breaks out in a dorm, you order all other inmates on to their beds. If it's not a dorm but a self-contained pod with cells, you order everyone back to their cells. Anyone who doesn't comply gets written up. Doesn't look like this guard did anything at all.

I am not defending this prison, but I do want to stress that beatings are normal, fights happen all the time, sometimes deadly fights. I got jumped by an african immigrant right over my desk (one of the reasons I resigned but not the only reason), and my brother got attacked so bad he spent months recovering from knee and leg injuries. That's not a problem with the way the prisons are run, it's a problem with being locked in with Bloods, Crips, Latin Kings etc. by yourself.

Actually, in way it is a problem with the way the prisons are run. There's a new philosophy of keeping inmates in these self-contained dorm-like rooms, with roughly 64 inmates or so to 1 officer (it varies). Yeah, with a system like that you're gonna get lots of assaults. Supposedly this system is more humane and easier to manage than the old system (some bullcrap about 1 officer locked in there - yes they're locked in with the inmates - fosters greater understanding or some such nonsense), but what it really is is controlled chaos, ready to explode at any moment.

EDIT: Prisons are their own micro-societies and they police themselves (they "take care of their own"). Snitches are dealt with, bad gang member dealt with, and strangely enough the high ranking gang members have as much to do with a smoothy-run prison as the officers. There's a very delicate balance and like I said it can explode at any moment.

Welcome to my world. I get that about the military all the time. :lol:

Yeah, welcome to the internet where everyone knows everything about everything even if they have zero experience :)

Must be a pain when the Pentagon backs up the people who point out you being wrong then.

I never claimed I was 100% correct in everything, Ralph. And sometimes I disagree with my superiors. But for you to claim this isnt even accurate since the thing you are referring to actually verified my own comments in regards to it. In fact, as was pointed out, not all of the Pentagon even agrees. So, precisely how accurate does that make your comment? Answer: not very.

Also, if the only victim is yourself, its still victimless.

I disagree. Just because you chose it, or choose not to leave, doesn't mean you're not a victim.

I'm guessing that because no one has posted a link about what happened to the guard, then he must have been punished. Let's face it, with the way the media is, had he not been punished, it would be national news. Besides, the private prison has to do it if they want to look good for future business contracts.

Top Bottom