1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My screenshot gallery from Civilization V

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Azazell, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Thanks for the screens! Will look through more of them tomorrow after work I think.

I notice there isn't a merge GP with city option this time round.

2. Tylerryan79

Tylerryan79 Emperor

I have a question specifically about battleships. In it's description it says it can bombard 3 tiles away, and also bombard enemy units it cannot see so long as another of your unit can. Does this mean in the same 3 tile radius, or can it shoot farther?

3. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I think that's pretty clear; it can't shoot past its range. The indirect fire ability is so that you can hit a target, especially one inland, that you don't have line of sight to. Such as if you're shooting over a hill.

4. Calouste

Calouste Deity

Merge GP with city (AKA settling GPs) is now replace with the ability to build super-duper terrain improvements. One effect of that is that it creates a limit on the number of GPs you can use in one single city. I think Obsolete has a sad about this.

5. Calouste

Calouste Deity

Ranged units can't shoot over forests, hills, mountians and cities IIRC, so it sounds like a pretty useful ability. I think it is available as a promotion as well.

Coincidentally, I think there will be quite a bit of complaining from people who don't kick their chopping habit from Civ4 about how hard defending your country is in the early stages of Civ5.

6. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

Also means your GP stuff can be pillaged rather than sitting pretty in your cities, and you have to sacrifice something to builthem, no farm or trading post on that hex!

Edit- Azazel, if you could see your way to showing us the civlopedia entry for the longbowman or maybe some actual in-game footage of it, i'd appreciate it, i really want to get a gander at that unit.

7. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

He did post one shot that had an image of the longbowman.

8. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

info on the Greek UU's abilities, if they have any, would be nifty too.

9. emblemfire

emblemfire Chieftain

These pictures have made me more excited then ever! Just one question do we have a picture of all the civ traits or just some of them?

10. Calouste

Calouste Deity

An advantage of the GP improvements is that you can put them on a hex that can be swapped between cities. Particularly useful for the Engineer improvement, which you can build near a production city, but can loan to a nearby Gold/Science/Culture city when they need to get some infrastucture up, assuming hammers are still a more efficient way to build infra than buying it with gold.

11. CivFanaticMan

CivFanaticMan Warlord

can't wait for this game! and bootcamp on mac should hopefully run it smoothly. it looks like a mac version may not come out for another two years

12. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Thanks again for all the wonderful screenshots. The article was very good too. I was curious what you meant by this. I'm using the Google translator:

I was wondering what you meant by the clouds moving very slowly. Does that mean that when you uncover new territory that it pushes the clouds away but if you don't go there again for awhile, that the clouds will move to cover up the explored territory again after a period of time?

Or is it just fancy graphics and a cool visual effect?

13. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

If you've seen the videos, the clouds are animated and roll slowly across the tiles they cover. But they don't move tiles.

14. Thormodr

Ah, ok. Bummer. I was hoping they'd use an idea I brought up in a thread about exploration a few months ago. Sort of if you don't visit an area for a very long time after exploring it, it becomes fog of warred again.

15. CHEESE!

CHEESE! On a long nostalgia trip

Is that Seoul a city state? Or a civ?

16. bjbrains

bjbrains Man of U-235

City state (it's been previously confirmed as such)

17. Thormodr

In one of the screenshots it states, "The Viennese Civilization has been destroyed!"

So technically Seoul and other City States are considered civilizations I guess.

Edit: It says the Viennese Civilization has been conquered:

18. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Azallel, could you please :please: look 2 things up?
    - Does every civ only start with agriculture as a tech?
    - And maybe a look at the file system? What 3D file format is used? Is there somewhere a XML file for the civilizations and leaders? Or is it only one file (-> more than 1 leader/civ technically easily possible or not?)?

19. Sciguy001

Sciguy001 CiV Great Scientist (duh)

I would still like to know what the Ottoman and Siamese abilities do :please:

20. Thormodr

I would guess that the Siamese ability "Father governs children" would either give a happiness bonus in some way or maybe Siam would have extra bonuses when dealing with city states.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.