MySpace Deletes Largest Atheist Group in the World.

Jeez. I don't run any social-networking profiles, simply because I don't want people finding me and using stuff online to screw me over ('cept for this one...;) ). But I find it strange how they deleted the Atheist group, but not the (examples, not my beliefs follow!!!) Israeli group, since lots of people are Anti-semitic, or a Bible Study group, since atheists find that intolerable. However, they are a private company, and they can say "We're not discriminatory, we just wanted to prevent massive flame wars!".

MySpace is a private company so I suppose they have the right to do so. It is a shame nevertheless. I never suscribed to MySpace, with that kind of behaviour, I am definetly not going there. Boycott MySpace

I dont think it matters a blind bit of difference that theyre a private company, this is discrimination on the basis of lack of religious belief. this is no different than if they decided to ban all Jews, Muslims or christians. Private companies are still subject to the law, despite what they may think, and this seems to be to be blatant discrimination.

While they obviously have the right to delete the group, people would be up in arms if a shop decided not to serve disabled people.

Would it not be illegal to withhold goods or services based upon a person's beliefs?

Terms Of Use

MySpace.com reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to reject, refuse to post or remove any posting (including private messages) by you, or to restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to all or any part of the MySpace Services at any time, for any or no reason, with or without prior notice, and without liability. MySpace expressly reserves the right to remove your profile and/or restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to any part of MySpace Services if MySpace determines, in its sole discretion, that you pose a threat to MySpace and/or its Users.

Would it not be illegal to withhold goods or services based upon a person's beliefs?

They don't not withhold them based upon the person's beliefs, I'm quite sure there are tons of atheists on MySpace, they are withholding them because these users lead/have led/are highly likely to lead to problems on the site.

I have 3 reactions to this:

1. This is myspace, who cares?
2. What a bunch of jackasses.
3. This is myspace, who cares?

The only reason I care is because people at my school tend to communicate more through myspace than any other means. So, I don't want my account deleted because of some jerk who also happens to be an athiest was pissing someone off.

Kind of a contradiction there when atheism is lack of religion...

Atheism is still a belief though. Agnosticism is closer to a lack of religion. That's why people tend to hate atheists. It isn't apathy towards religion as much as it is a statement that all religions are false and there is no higher power. It requires just as much faith to believe in as Christianity.

Anywho, now that MySpace a multi-million dollar a year business I believe it is time to start suing. 'tis the American way.

MySpace Deletes Largest Atheist Group in the World.
MySpace is run by jerks.

Atheism is still a belief though. Agnosticism is closer to a lack of religion. That's why people tend to hate atheists. It isn't apathy towards religion as much as it is a statement that all religions are false and there is no higher power. It requires just as much faith to believe in as Christianity.
Totally wrong. It doesn't require faith or "belief" to say "I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy!" That's the same as what atheists are doing. Simply not believing something. It's the same as what you do concerning Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy.

Besides, theists don't believe in every god either, so atheists and theists are the same in that respect. Theists are atheists for 99% of gods.

Poor poor atheists. Sounds like we need to call the WAAAAHHHHHmbulance.
Why do you say this? Would you respond the same if it MySpace deleted Christian groups too?

I remember the time when a follower of Islam used a website vulnerability to gain access to the Hindu group on another social networking site, Orkut.

It contained a very large collection of threads, built up over many years. It was literally a virtual library of member contributions.

He deleted it, along with all the content.

He also posted screenshots, including obscenities edited in, of him selecting the huge archive for deletion. He changed the community's profile portrait to a bunch of Muslims burning the Indian flag.

He also invited a bunch of his Muslim friends to deface the place even more, if possible. They did.

Orkut did not undelete it.

So no, this isn't targeted to just atheists. In general, the more sensible, reasonable people suffer, because they're not willing to blow the other person up.

It requires just as much faith to believe in as Christianity.
This is 100% wrong. I'm not getting into this argument again but suffice it to say Atheism requires no belief in higher powers, miracles, magic, or anything else posited without a shred of evidence, nothing supernatural whatsoever. Depending on your definition it may qualify as a belief but under no circumstances is faith involved. No evidence is required to reject any claim made without evidence.

If you have a myspace account and you do not agree with this deletion, i suggest sending them a message about it.

I just did :)

Top Bottom