Name 5 US-companies with a reputation for quality

Guys, stop ruining this thread with this recent ad hominem and the apple discussion, else a mod of this area will have to stop it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_of_the_United_States , let's see,
- Barnes & Noble (they produce Ebook readers)
- Coca Cola
- Does Exxon count ^^?
- Garmin
- Gillette
- Goodyear

5 companies, not even remotely through the alphabet.

That disqualifies Cat, Boeing, Lockhead Martin, Disney and lots of other nonsense that has been posted.
I don't see why cars would count but not wheel loaders, but anyway... the other 4 companies I mentioned all deliver consumer products (Cummins is debatable), and they've got high quality.

That's Aldi. Since 1979.
Retailers are pretty much disqulified under the OP's conditions anyway.

About 80% of Trader Joe's products are their own brand (and that's not always just relabeling), so I was actually looking at them as more than just retail.

I didn't realize they were still Aldi's though. I thought I remembered reading they were spun off a few years ago. Must have got it confused with something else.

About 80% of Trader Joe's products are their own brand (and that's not always just relabeling), so I was actually looking at them as more than just retail.
Many retailers have house brands. *shrug*
I don't see why cars would count but not wheel loaders, but anyway... the other 4 companies I mentioned all deliver consumer products (Cummins is debatable), and they've got high quality.
Well, a significant portion of the forum population will have bought a car at some point in the past. That means that cars are a consumer product.

Ever bought a wheel loader? Or a 737? Or a tank?

I don't even know why i have to defend such a simple common sense condition (one can certainly argue whether it has a purpose, but it is certainly not difficult to understand) that is not even mine.
Don't you guys feel a bit like missing the point when you are making silly argument like "i know they mostly deal in nuclear reactors, but they produce paper clips, too - that's a consumer product"?

Does anyone make really good consumer products these days? I read somewhere that companies deliberately made bad products so that people bought new stuff. And the fact that the manufacturing is outsourced to China doesn't help either I suppose. I have the impression they don't exactly put their heart and soul in the products they make for us.

Does anyone make really good consumer products these days? I read somewhere that companies deliberately made bad products so that people bought new stuff. And the fact that the manufacturing is outsourced to China doesn't help either I suppose. I have the impression they don't exactly put their heart and soul in the products they make for us.

Well, I'm a high-end product snob, but most of the consumer goods I buy are quality, and last well.

As a consumer?

Aren't all buyers consumers?

Of course it wasn't for personal use, but it was a physical product manufactured in the USA which I bought. So that's quality american manufacture I experienced, not unlike a car. And I'd say anyone in technical/industrial fields around the word have bought and used quality american manufactures at some point (I do it all the time).

Quality is also a mesure relative to the price you pay mind you. For the price I pay for them some of my Chinese goods have fantastic quality.

Hayward Pool Supplies

There's a Chinese owned resort with a pool on the other side of Tagbilaran, Bohol. The owners went with Hayward instead of a Chinese company because they wanted reliable equipment.

Just two companies:
1. Bose
2. TOP RAMEN!

Quality is also a mesure relative to the price you pay mind you. For the price I pay for them some of my Chinese goods have fantastic quality.
To me, this is kind of like saying, "This is only $1. If I can use it for a month without it breaking, it's a quality item."
Now, if you're selling that next to a $5 item that should last you for life, it doesn't look like quality anymore...

Springfield Arms

Ironically all their handguns are made in Brazil and Croatia by local companies. Good guns though.

It is funny see the gnashing of teeth when an All-American crying eagle type gun owner finds out that his "American" gun is Brazilian and that Springfield Armory, Inc and the famous armory in Springfield, Mass. aren't remotely related other than the the name.:lol:

Merrell makes good walking gear.
There are a few poncy clothing companies that are American.
Hewlett-Packard seems respected.

Ironically all their handguns are made in Brazil and Croatia by local companies. Good guns though.

It is funny see the gnashing of teeth when an All-American crying eagle type gun owner finds out that his "American" gun is Brazilian and that Springfield Armory, Inc and the famous armory in Springfield, Mass. aren't remotely related other than the the name.:lol:

Is it an American company? Yes. Does it matter where the grunt work is done? Nope. I am more concerned with where the engineering of a product is done in all cases anyway, there is no Western country whose top manufactures do not rely on ouside parts.

Springfield arms is most famous for their custom 1911 shop and all it's M1A rifle, all wholly domestic operations.

I personally use Sig Sauer, awesome weapons.

Top Bottom