Name 5 US-companies with a reputation for quality

In any case:

3M
Salesforce
FedEx
Johnson and Johnson
Boeing
I think they only deliver products, and don't actually "produce a physical consumer product."

They are physically moving a product, it counts for me. I feel no compulsion to follow the OPs ridiculous criteria.

And Apple is crap anyway.

Yep. Apple are premised on marrying semiotics of science-fiction with upward social mobility. The psychology of exploitation: "Oh Apple is so cool ... Apple is so anti-the-common-microsoft ... Apple always look so futurisitc and sci-fi ... the future ... that's aspirational ... I'm aspirational ... associate me with futuristic upward mobility".

That's fine when the slavish subconsciousnesses of the spending world buy it, but when they stop buying that junk they'll realise that's precisely what they are paying such money for ... junk made in Chinese slave houses. And what will Apple be left with? After they sack all their discontended US permatemps: a bunch of junk contracts from Chinese slave-houses and useless patents.

And yeah, the OP started saying Apple are some kind of exception. No, they are the rule: good branding and marketing make actual product utility meaningless; advanced modern psychological manipulation destroying the logic of Smithian capitalism.

Incidentally, I've had two iPods and they both sucked compared to other products I've had (bad battery, freezing, easily damaged). The only difference between their products and others is that every sucker is buying into them so there are more products. The rule of the network effect. Gladly I can say they were presents, and I wasn't suckered into paying the "Apple Tax".

Dell.
Steve & Barry's.

That's what comes to mind now within your criteria.

Talking about Apple: by my experience it has good hardware and superior assembly.

EDIT: I've noticed Heinz Ketchup there, if it is within criteria it's in my list too! :)

None of that makes sense, the simple fact is apple may be overhyped but the are innovative and using the cutting edge of technology in their products. BTW , while you are busy pretending the US buys everything from " Chinese slave houses" the largest supply of manufactured goods to the US is the US itself.

Lets add a few more:
Sperry
LL Bean
North Face
Raytheon
Loculine
General Atomics
Lockheed Martin
L3
AMD

None of that makes sense, the simple fact is apple may be overhyped but the are innovative and using the cutting edge of technology in their products. BTW , while you are busy pretending the US buys everything from " Chinese slave houses" the largest supply of manufactured goods to the US is the US itself.

Guys like yourself need to face up to where your products come from. People suffer so you can get your goods for a few less bucks. And no, contrary to your straw man, no-one is "denying" that America makes most of what it consumes ... that is obvious and rather fatuous point given what most consumption consists of.

Though of course Apple do hire and buy some of the latest technologies, they don't "innovate" in any useful sense.

And people like you need to get off your soup box because I bet you have just as many goods from China in your house as I do. What does Albania manufacture of note?

As for apple, are you going to really sit there and tell us the invention of portable digital music, the first successful touch screen products, and their various OSs are not inovtive?

And people like you need to get off your soup box because I bet you have just as many goods from China in your house as I do.

As for apple, are you going to really sit there and tell us the invention of portable digital music, the first successful touch screen products, and their various OSs are not inovtive?

Well, you need to get your facts straight ... the guy who invented portable music couldn't afford to renew his patent and it lapsed. Nothing to do with the Apple parasites getting rich from it.

And of course, yes, it is bad to complain about third world exploitation, slavery and human rights abuses. Wouldn't want to "get on a soap box" and annoy a Patroklos about it. It's just human rights abuses we're talking about! ;)

And ps, you don't know anything about me.

This opinion is probably because you had a bad experiance with a cell phone. Motorola has an outstanding reputation in the military/industrial sphere which is by far the bulk of their buisness.

Even for cell phones, they have a pretty good rep with people who know phones. Sure, they've got some cruddy phones, but Apple is the only phone manufacturer in the world who doesn't make low-end phones.

Salesforce

I dunno what their reputation is, but I've had pretty poor experience with their software.

Lets add a few more:
Sperry
LL Bean
North Face
Raytheon
Loculine
General Atomics
Lockheed Martin
L3
AMD

Random thoughts:

Apple being "cutting edge" is pushing it. They sometimes get cutting edge when they launch products, but their product cycles are too long, to protect their profit margins, for them to be consistently cutting edge.

LL Bean is underrated.

AMD makes me sad. Intel really needs effective competition to be kept honest.

I thought FedEx only had a market because the US postal service was terrible?

1.) Dr Pepper Snapple Group
2.) ... yea so the Dr. Pepper guys are the only folks I can think of. lol.

@Arwon - maybe, but difficult to dispute considering the UPSP is likely to not get better over the next few centuries.

BTW - Didn't see these posted:
3M
Kenmore
Craftman
Red Wing
Zippo

Guess I'm more thinking surely the only reason anyone could think any random delivery service is good is the comparative awfulness of the USPS. Here I don't think you could really split the private couriers and Australia Post registered mail, including FedEx who operate here.

NOTHING. Nothing Apple has ever done has been innovative and groundbreaking in terms of technology.

In terms of marketing, advertisement and psychological aspect though, another story. That's what they're good at and why they're so evil.

This opinion is probably because you had a bad experiance with a cell phone. Motorola has an outstanding reputation in the military/industrial sphere which is by far the bulk of their buisness.
I have lots of bad things to say about Moto with their phones, but they do make great hardware and I wouldn't call the whole company necessarily bad even in consumer side of their business. In fact, when you buy a moto phone thats what you pretty much ask yourself, 'do i want a great hardware for crap support and software?' when the answer is rootable, you buy it and support your damn self.

oh and moto's cell division split off also. they run seperately and are owned by google now.

I can't speak for their technology and hardware, but Apple has certainly been a positive force in the music industry. Few have been more effective in working to break up "big labels".

I work in the CPG/Big Food industry, and PepsiCo is certainly held in high regard (not just in their products, but with organizational excellence. They are an industry leader in many other ways).

I can't speak for their technology and hardware, but Apple has certainly been a positive force in the music industry. Few have been more effective in working to break up "big labels".

Also in limiting carriers' power.

It's too bad they're so hostile towards every other phone platform, or they could be even more effective.

I work in the CPG/Big Food industry, and PepsiCo is certainly held in high regard (not just in their products, but with organizational excellence. They are an industry leader in many other ways).

I think people in this thread are mixing up organizational excellence and quality products in many cases.

Sure, they're helpful to each other, but there are plenty of companies that are run very well on the basis of providing low-quality goods or services.

On the flip-side, there are lots of niche high-end companies that cater to a small luxury market, so they don't have the scale or need to implement particularly interesting organizational features.

Just some sports-related companies off the top of my head:

Nike
Under Armour
Spalding

Gatorade (which is really in the food/beverage category)

Foreign companies that have immediate name recognition with me would be:

Adidas
Reebok

So did the Op win or lose?

Top Bottom