Never-Before-Seen Civs Poll

Which of these civs do you want to see in the future? (Choose 7)

• Apache/Navajo/etc.

Votes: 114 37.1%
  • Argentina

Votes: 49 16.0%
  • Armenia

Votes: 49 16.0%
  • Ashanti

Votes: 76 24.8%
  • Benin/Dahomey

Votes: 41 13.4%
  • Bulgaria/Thrace

Votes: 40 13.0%
  • Burma

Votes: 46 15.0%
  • Canada

Votes: 59 19.2%
  • Cherokee/Creek/Choctaw/etc.

Votes: 66 21.5%
  • Colombia (or Gran Colombia)

Votes: 70 22.8%
  • Etruria

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • Gothia (any Goths)

Votes: 60 19.5%
  • Haida/Tlingit

Votes: 45 14.7%
  • Hebrews/Israel

Votes: 89 29.0%
  • Hungary

Votes: 97 31.6%
  • Inuit

Votes: 62 20.2%
  • Ireland

Votes: 50 16.3%
  • Italy (including Florence, Genoa, etc.)

Votes: 124 40.4%
  • Kilwa/Swahili

Votes: 56 18.2%
  • Lydia/Pontus/Kappadokia/etc.

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • Mughals

Votes: 56 18.2%
  • Palmyra/Syria/Nabataea/etc.

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • Phoenicia/Canaanites

Votes: 74 24.1%
  • Romania/Wallachia

Votes: 43 14.0%
  • Shawnee

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • Tibet

Votes: 78 25.4%
  • Vietnam

Votes: 141 45.9%
  • Ukraine/Kievan Rus'

Votes: 33 10.7%
  • Zimbabwe/Mutapa

Votes: 53 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 17.3%

• Total voters
I'm glad to see Argentina getting some recognition, it would really balance out things in SA making the continent quite interesting on TSL on top of being if course an interesting civ.

Other than the obvious female leader choice, Juan Manuel de Rosas would make a great choice. With some bonuses to amenities and loyalty with a military spin and the estancia as a unique improvement to replace plantations as a leader ability, the Legion militar as a unique Argentine unit unlocked at nationalism (they got fabulous uniforms), and a unique building or district to complete the civ uniques. The civ ability itself really would depend on whatever spin the devs want to give it, probably cultural and food related. "Restorer of the Laws" would make sense as his agenda making him dislike civs with loyalty issues.

Last edited:
Not really sure who you'd even pick. Bactria? One of the Indo-Greek or Greco-Bactrian Kingdoms? Everything else is pretty horse-centric: Gokturks, Uygher, Indo-Scythian, etc.
Hm... you could pick the Uzbeks and focus on trade. Still probably a mounted UU, but they could be somewhat less horse-rush than Mongols, Scythia or Timurids. Would put some cities that are really missing in civ VI right now on the map...

Hm... you could pick the Uzbeks and focus on trade. Still probably a mounted UU, but they could be somewhat less horse-rush than Mongols, Scythia or Timurids. Would put some cities that are really missing in civ VI right now on the map...

I really wouldn't mind filling those in with City States, though.

Could go with Parthia or Seleucia (Seleucid Empire), Sassanids (Sassanid Empire) or Kush (Asian Kush).

Lots of choices aren't on the voting list.
For example:

Khazaria
Prussia
Parthia
Belgium
Comanche
Etruscans
Papal State (Vatican)
Crusader State - never going to happen but we could see if anyone would vote for them
Wends - west slavic tribes (now almost all vanished), led by Samo for example
Finland
Lithuania - was a large pagan state for quite sometime
Numidia
Libya
Media
Elam

and a few more

7 votes isn't enough, I'm afraid.

True, and that's kind of the point. Assuming we get an XP2 with a similar load of civs, plus an additional DLC season, AND that fully half the civs they give us are never-before-seen, that's still only ~7-8 civs that are new to the franchise.

The point is to prioritize what you want the most. Regrettably, there's only 30 poll options allowed, or I would have widened the selection. But the narrow focus of only 7 votes allows the results to be a bit more incisive re: the fans' highest priorities.

Could go with Parthia or Seleucia (Seleucid Empire), Sassanids (Sassanid Empire) or Kush (Asian Kush).

Wends was originally name for huge group of Slavs including Czech, Slovaks and Polish ( so there is already one of them in Civ5) but Slavs never used it for themselves.

And Samo wasnť leader of Wends. He was leader only of Czech tribes + some other small nearby tribes. He was called "leader of Wends" by frankish chronicles Frenegar only because Fregenar didnť know name of individual Slav tribes and use word German were using for every Slav near their borders.

I'd like to see Canada, being from there, but there are already too many Western Civs in the game so it's not likely to happen.

I like Civs from Africa so that's where I placed my vote.

Some civs that I would love to see at some point, that are not on the list: South Africa (with Mandela), Finland, Serbia, Turkey (with Atatürk), Bohemia, Cuba.

There is also a fair amount of anecdotes connected to his name (he's kind of a folklore figure here in Hungary), so they could make up some very interesting leader ability for him.

Absolutely! And I'm encouraged by the fact that there is no Budapest city state, I'm downright hopeful in fact, but somewhat wary that they'll just do Austria-Hungary.

Quite frankly, I am appalled at the lack of representation civ has given to the Finno-Korean Hyperwar.

The idea of Finland as a civ sounds cool but Dido and Gilgamesh already get enough flak for being semi-mythical, let alone having an entire civ based on a country that doesn’t even exist.

But I would like to see Finland in a similar to civ V Sweden execution

Last edited:
The idea of Finland as a civ sounds cool but Dido and Gilgamesh already get enough flak for being semi-mythical, let alone having an entire civ that doesn’t even exist.

But I would like to see Finland in a similar to civ V Sweden execution

I would love to see Finland. I have been there once and it is a charming country. :love:

I would love to see Finland. I have been there once and it is a charming country. :love:
No you haven't. You've been flown into northern Estonia and TOLD you were in Finland, then had all your GPS' hacked and reprogrammed to show that you were farther north than you really where. If you've ever actually been to "Finland" you'd have been to the north western Baltic Sea.

Lots of choices aren't on the voting list.
For example:

Khazaria
Prussia
Parthia
Belgium
Comanche
Etruscans
Papal State (Vatican)
Crusader State - never going to happen but we could see if anyone would vote for them
Finland
Lithuania - was a large pagan state for quite sometime
Numidia
Libya
Media
Elam

and a few more

- Parthia and Sassanida are simply part of Persian (Iranian) civilisation, culture and heritage (same as Tang is period of Chinese history). I know that civ series always portait "Persia" as 100% Acharmenids but that's their mistake I'm irritated by. Personally I wouldn't mind pan-dynastic Persia with elements from various dynasties, or alternate leaders from various dynasties. Hey, that's the exact thing always happening with European civs - such as Barbarossa with Uboot and Jadwiga with Winged Hussars.
- Prussia is, similarly to Parthian case, considered to be part of German civilization. In several civ games Frederick was the leader of "Germany" and I'd support him... as alternate leader of it.
- Etruscans are in the poll as Etruria :p
- Comanche are, I presume, part of "Apache, Navajo etc" option as Plains Indians - alternately you could say they already were in civ, as hybrid with Shoshone (it literally had comanche as unique unit)
- Belgium is unlikely imo. It is very recent, very artificial construct consisting of two separate cultures that barely can coexist under one state. On top of that, the only "spectacular" thing Belgium did during its existence was... genociding Kongo. Yeah you could say "but Belgium has much economy and culture" - and the same about almost every European country today.
- Vatican is one of the most city-state civs ever :p
- Wends and state of Samo are completely separate thing lol.
- The only significant thing Finland did was Winter War and its postindustrial era prosperity
- Media lasted for a short time before being completely consumed and eclipsed by Achaemenids ;)
- Numidia and Elam didn't really manage to be particularly spectacular, unique, or achieve much during their time
- Has concept of a united Libya ever been a thing before being created as Italian colony?...

However!
I support Khazaria and Lithuania,as well as Prussia and Parthia but only as alternate leaders :D

IMO missing civs are Mexico, Switzerland, Yemen, Afghanistan, Nepal, Tamils/Chola/Sri Lanka, Bengal, precolonial Philippines, Maori, Bactria/Sogdia/Kushans and Malagasy.

Also Somalia, Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo but I am afraid only me would vote for them :p

The Comanche would be much more warlike than the Shoshone in Civ V. Considering they did do conquering and raiding and pillaging.

@Bosque I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Cherokee, especially with Sequoyah's writing system. I just personally want to see the Choctaw more. Pushmataha is the kind of leader that many civs (like the Haida, Zimbabwe, etc.) would kill for.

@Bosque I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Cherokee, especially with Sequoyah's writing system. I just personally want to see the Choctaw more. Pushmataha is the kind of leader that many civs (like the Haida, Zimbabwe, etc.) would kill for.
100% this. Plus, as impressive as the effects of Sequoyah's writing system were, its invention does not in and of itself make Sequoyah a great leader option, and the Cherokee are hard pressed for others. Also the claim frequently tossed around that Sequoyah independently invented writing is patently false: his script may not directly descend from another script (he does inconsistently borrow some symbols from Western scripts), but he was familiar with the concept of writing. Sequoyah's invention is not equivalent to the development of Chinese script, Sumerian cuneiform, or Mesoamerican syllabaries, which together probably account for the only independent inventions of writing. (Again, that doesn't make Sequoyah's work less impressive or significant, but I don't think it makes him leader-worthy. Sure, you can point to Gandhi or CdM; you can also point to Gandhi and CdM being unpopular choices for that very reason.)

100% this. Plus, as impressive as the effects of Sequoyah's writing system were, its invention does not in and of itself make Sequoyah a great leader option, and the Cherokee are hard pressed for others. Also the claim frequently tossed around that Sequoyah independently invented writing is patently false: his script may not directly descend from another script (he does inconsistently borrow some symbols from Western scripts), but he was familiar with the concept of writing. Sequoyah's invention is not equivalent to the development of Chinese script, Sumerian cuneiform, or Mesoamerican syllabaries, which together probably account for the only independent inventions of writing. (Again, that doesn't make Sequoyah's work less impressive or significant, but I don't think it makes him leader-worthy. Sure, you can point to Gandhi or CdM; you can also point to Gandhi and CdM being unpopular choices for that very reason.)
Don't forget the Cree writing system as well!

Top Bottom