Never before seen wonders - Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Churches of Lalibela 25-3=22 If Ethiopia is in the game, this should be a wonder for the country. However I do prefer the Pyramid of the sun.
Pyramid of the Sun 16+1=17 Very iconic and I feel is the best of the wonders on the list.

Question, will there be a round two?

We need to come up with new world wonders.

My suggestions include Burj Khalifa, Willis (Sears) Tower, 30 Rockefeller, Smithsonian Institution, West Edmonton Mall, Moscow Metro, and Ostankino Tower.

My suggestions are Ishtar Gate, Crazy Horse Memorial, Sagrada Familia, Roman Pantheon, Spring Temple Buddha, Dresden Frauenkirche, Lotus Temple, Kingdom Tower, Altare della Patria, and the Temple of Bel.

My suggestions are Saint Mark's Basilica in Venice, Doge's Palace in Venice, Arc de Triomphe in Paris, Castel del Monte in Italy, Galata tower in Istanbul, Ještěd tower in Czech Republic and Lotus Temple in Delhi.

Churches of Lalibela 23 (22+1) My #1
Pyramid of the Sun 14 (17-3) My #5 (?)

Question, will there be a round two?
I can do a round two, but let's finish this one first. I won't be able to keep track of the rankings for long, however, since I'm without internet for most of the summer. I'd like to make the selection similar to this round, so 3 wonders for each Africa, Asia, North America, South America, Europe. And if there is a nice wonder from another place, it can be thrown in as well.
As suggestions so far, I notice:
(I added some African and South American wonders, since none were named so far. I might revisit suggestions for the first round to find more. Iirc there were lots of suggestions for Africa, Asia and Europe, but not many for the Americas and other)
Color Coding: Ancient/Classical Medieval/Renaissance Industrial/Later

Africa
Al-Qarawiyyin Mosque and University
Hassan II Mosque
Stelae of Aksum
Karnak Temples

Basilica of Our Lady of Peace
Castle of Good Hope
Nabemba Tower

Cothon of Carthage
Meroë Pyramids

(Set Maat or Kahun [which are not wonders, but it would be nice to have an early wonder that helps building wonders])

Asia
Burj Khalifa
Ishtar Gate
Spring Temple Buddha
Lotus Temple
Kingdom Tower

Temple of Bel
Tomb of Antiochus I

North America

Willis Tower
30 Rockefeller
Smithsonian Institution
West Edmonton Mall
Crazy Horse Memorial
Gateway Arch

South America
Humberstone and Santa Laura Saltpeter Works
Caral Temples
Santuario de Las Lajas
Amazon Theatre
Kalasasaya
Pelourinho
Federal District of Brasilia
Manzana de
las Luces

Europe
Moscow Metro
Ostankino Tower
Sagrada Familia

Pantheon
Dresdner Frauenkirche
Altare della Patria

St. Mark's Basilica
Doge's Palace

Arc de Triomphe
Castel del Monte
Galata Tower

Ještěd Tower

Other

Last edited:
I did some research and found some names of potential wonders. I tried to conciliate monuments from all over the world, of all eras, and of the most varied types: temple, cathedral, theater, palace, statue, castle, tomb, skyscraper, tower, pyramid, museum, library... I know that some are not so wonderful or iconics, and others are not so visually unique, most of the good names have already been included in the game or in the first round, and when looking for monuments everywhere, some are really difficult. But let's go:

Asia (10)
Buddhas of Bamiyan (Afghanistan)
Burj Al Arab (United Arab Emirates)
Chogha Zanbil (Ancient Elamite, current Iran) - A Ziggurat as a wonder, why not?
Gyeongbokgung (South Korea)
Humayun's Tomb (India) - This is an important and impressive building history of Delhi. It is about a tomb of the Mughal emperor Humayun, who also comprises other subsequent Mughals.
Kandariya Mahadeva (India) - It's a Hindu temple and it is considered one of the best temples preserved from the medieval era in India.
Kinkaku-ji (Japan) - Or as it is best known: 'Temple of the Golden Pavilion'.
Marina Bay Sands (Singapore) - I think this very impressive, and worthy of being included as a game-ending wonder.
Prambanan (Indonesia) - It is a complex of Hindu temples. Perhaps the second most famous structure in Indonesia, behind only the Borobudur. I must say that this is as interesting as.
Temple of Heaven (China)

Europe (10)
Belem Tower (Portugal)
Belvedere Palace (Austria) - Very Beautiful
Bran Castle (Romania) - Beautiful, famous and with lots of history. Dracula's Castle
El Escorial (Spain) - One of the best names for Spanish wonders.
Kronborg (Denmark) - Very Beautiful, great option for a Danish wonder.
Palais des Papes (France) - This is very very impressive. One of the largest Gothic buildings in the Middle Ages. In addition, this has much history, being pontifical residence and the seat of Western Christianity during the century XIV. Reading about it, I wonder how Firaxis has not yet included it in the game as a wonder.
Santa Maria del Fiore (Italy)
Rijksmuseum (Netherlands) - The best name to think of in Dutch wonder, in my opinion.
Roman Forum (Ancient Rome)
Windsor Castle (England)

Africa (7)
Cairo Citadel (Egypt) - An Islamic wonder built by Saladin in his capital.
Colossi of Memnon (Egypt) - Two large stone statues of the Pharaoh Amenhotep III.
Fasil Ghebbi (Ethiopia) - This is a fortress-city in Ethiopia. It seems to be interesting, and I do not mind having cities as wonders.
Hassan Tower (Marocco)
Luxor Temple (Egypt)
Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut (Egypt) - It is an ancient funerary shrine dedicated to the Pharaoh Hatshepsut
Royal Mausoleum of Mauretania (Algeria) - A great tomb of a king and a queen Berbers

North America (8)
Centre Block (Canada) - This seems me as a very beautiful building.
Chrysler Building (USA)
Cliff Palace (Pueblo, USA) - A good choice for a Pre-Columbian wonder of North America.
Library of Congress (USA) - The largest library in the world. I do not mind having two libraries, since they are from different eras.
Royal Palace of Palenque (Ancient Maya, current Mexico) - It seems very interesting, a great example of Mayan architecture. This palace was royal residence of Palenque's rulers, in addition to being the largest construction in the city. A different choice for Mesoamerican wonders other than Pyramids.
Palacio de Bellas Artes (Mexico)
Pyramid of the Niches (Ancient Maya, current Mexico)
Rushmore Mount (USA) - I know we've had this before, but not as wonder of the world.

South America (6)
Basílica de Aparecida (Brazil) - It is the second largest church in the world, after St. Peter's Basilica. Perhaps the most important place of Brazilian Catholicism, receiving 12 million pilgrims a year. This can fit in as a great wonder of end game.
Catedral de Brasília (Brazil) - This Cathedral is a masterpiece of modern religious art in Brasilia. It has a distinctive and impressive design. Very beautiful to appreciate.
Coricancha (Inca, current Peru) - The most important temple in the Inca Empire.
Santuario de Las Lajas (Colombia)
Teatro Amazonas (Brazil) - I know there are more imposing theaters, but this is a "jewel" in the heart of the Amazon rainforest, the first monument when one thinks of a structure of this region. It is the most significant expression of the richness of the rubber cycle in the Amazon.
Teatro Colón (Argentina) - It is acoustically considered one of the five best theaters in the world and also ranked as the third best opera house in the world, reaching a period of huge international success. It is very beautiful and the best name to think of an Argentine wonder.

Oceania (1)
Royal Exhibition Building (Australia) - Sorry, I could not find many names for potential Oceania wonders. However, this edifice seems to me to be very beautiful and interesting. This is Australia's first building to be awarded the UNESCO World Heritage status.

By Eras:

Ancient Era
Chogha Zanbil
Colossi of Memnon
Luxor Temple
Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut

Classical Era
Buddhas of Bamiyan
Pyramid of the Niches
Roman Forum
Royal Mausoleum of Mauretania
Royal Palace of Palenque

Medieval Era
Bran Castle
Cairo Citadel
Cliff Palace
Gyeongbokgung
Hassan Tower
Kandariya Mahadeva
Kinkaku-ji
Palais des Papes
Prambanan
Windsor Castle

Renaissance Era
Belem Tower
Coricancha
El Escorial
Humayun's Tomb
Kronborg
Santa Maria del Fiore
Temple of Heaven

Industrial Era
Belvedere Palace
Fasil Ghebbi
Library of Congress
Rijksmuseum
Royal Exhibition Building
Teatro Amazonas

Modern Era
Centre Block
Chrysler Building
Palacio de Bellas Artes
Santuario de Las Lajas
Teatro Colón

Atomic Era
Basílica de Aparecida
Catedral de Brasília
Rushmore Mount

Information Era
Burj Al Arab
Marina Bay Sands

I did some research and found some names of potential wonders. I tried to conciliate monuments from all over the world, of all eras, and of the most varied types: temple, cathedral, theater, palace, statue, castle, tomb, skyscraper, tower, pyramid, museum, library... I know that some are not so wonderful or iconics, and others are not so visually unique, most of the good names have already been included in the game or in the first round, and when looking for monuments everywhere, some are really difficult. But let's go:
A very nice list indeed! What makes a wonder is always in the eye of the beholder to some extent. For some it's the history of the building, for others the size or the beauty, the uniqueness, todays look and touristic quality... whatever. And I disagree that most of the good names have already been included - there are so many interesting and wonderful man-made structures in the world that we could easily do 5 more rounds and still have some decent contenders in each one.
And we usually ignore similar buildings that might be interchangeable with others - like for example Minamoto Castle, that doesn't appear on your list, beside you being a fan of Japanese wonders. Or Reims Cathedral and Aachen Cathedral that have rich history, besides being impressive buildings - but if we vote on Cologne Cathedral and Notre Dame, those are usually excluded - which is a good thing to keep things slick in such a thread. But I wouldn't be disappointed if a well-known wonder is replaced by a similar one. Some exceptions of course, like replacing the unique Taj Mahal with the I'timad-ud-Daula or the Pyramid(s) with Djoser's Step Pyramid.

Churches of Lalibela 22+1=23 - The best choice left.
Pyramid of the Sun 17-3=14 - Need for new Mesoamerican pyramid is just lower, because we already have Chichén Itzá and Huey Teocalli.

A very nice list indeed! What makes a wonder is always in the eye of the beholder to some extent. For some it's the history of the building, for others the size or the beauty, the uniqueness, todays look and touristic quality... whatever. And I disagree that most of the good names have already been included - there are so many interesting and wonderful man-made structures in the world that we could easily do 5 more rounds and still have some decent contenders in each one.
And we usually ignore similar buildings that might be interchangeable with others - like for example Minamoto Castle, that doesn't appear on your list, beside you being a fan of Japanese wonders. Or Reims Cathedral and Aachen Cathedral that have rich history, besides being impressive buildings - but if we vote on Cologne Cathedral and Notre Dame, those are usually excluded - which is a good thing to keep things slick in such a thread. But I wouldn't be disappointed if a well-known wonder is replaced by a similar one. Some exceptions of course, like replacing the unique Taj Mahal with the I'timad-ud-Daula or the Pyramid(s) with Djoser's Step Pyramid.

Thanks. On large continents like Asia and Europe, I tried to limit one wonder per country, so I had to leave good monuments outside such as Minamoto Castle and Osaka castle, two excellent monuments for Japanese wonders. Italy is also a country with many good monuments, such as Trevi Fountain and Saint Mark's Basilica and many others, so I was really in doubt about which would include, I decided on Santa Maria del Fiore because I really want to see a Florentine wonder in the game.
I really love wonders, the more the better.

Thanks. On large continents like Asia and Europe, I tried to limit one wonder per country, so I had to leave good monuments outside such as Minamoto Castle and Osaka castle, two excellent monuments for Japanese wonders. Italy is also a country with many good monuments, such as Trevi Fountain and Saint Mark's Basilica and many others, so I was really in doubt about which would include, I decided on Santa Maria del Fiore because I really want to see a Florentine wonder in the game.
I really love wonders, the more the better.
Santa Maria del Fiore looks like an amazing wonder (and iconic too). I always wondered why Firaxis never included it as a world wonder.

Centre Block is an interesting building. Unfortunately, Firaxis would lump that together with the rest of the Canadian Parliament buildings.

Erie Canal could be added as a world wonder (same with the nearby Welland Canal).

Russky Bridge can be added as well, since it's the longest cable-stayed bridge in the world. Alternatively, Millau Viaduct can be used instead; it's the tallest cable-stayed bridge in the world; its piers are taller than the Eiffel Tower even!

Especially since it was the menu background in civ IV BtS - strange that it wasn't included in that game.
False advertising indeed

At least the statue in the Civ V Defeat Screen and the giant Atlas statue on the front cover of Civ VI (and on promotional artwork and on the top of every page on this website using the default skin) are unbuildable in-game (since both are fictional).

Churches of Lalibela (24+1)=25 The Axumite Stelae are better suited as a Unique improvement for Ethiopia, but one of these churches is perfect as a wonder
Pyramid of the Sun (11-3)=8 Mesoamerica already has two pyramid wonders.

Churches of Lalibela 25 + 1 = 26
Pyramid of the Sun 8 - 3 = 5

At the moment, Ethiopia needs a wonder more than Mesoamerica.

@Siptah what do you think about having 20 wonders in round 2 instead of 15? 4 from each continent (North America, South America, Africa, Europe and Asia). We have many good suggestions

Churches of Lalibela 26+1=27 - And the winner is...
Pyramid of the Sun 5-3=2 - Let's finish this one. It's a great wonder, but we already have Huey Teocalli and Chichén Itzá.

Churches of Lalibela 27+1=28 The Churches of Lalibela!
Pyramid of the Sun 2-3=-1 I'm just glad that this got 2nd place.

As for round 2:

Huaca del Sol - Largest pre-columbian structure in South America.
Crystal Palace - Extremely large exhibition hall made entirely of glass.

So here are the final rankings, thanks for playing everybody!

1. :trophy:Churches of Lalibela
2. :trophy2nd:Pyramid of the Sun
3. :trophy3rd:Cologne Cathedral
4. :trophy2:Sri Harmandir Sahib
5. :trophy2:Tōdai-ji
6. Leshan Giant Buddha
7. Empire State Building
8. Abu Simbel
9. Saksaq Waman
10. Karlštejn Castle
11. Monk's Mound
12. Great Mosque of Kairouan
13. Delta Works
14. El Capitolio
15. Brooklyn Bridge

I will select the new wonders from the suggestions tomorrow and start the 2nd round. And I'll choose 20 @Xandinho, I think we can allow that without the game getting too long and people losing interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom