1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Never Before Seen Civs - Elimination Thread

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Xandinho, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SagarRathore

SagarRathore Chieftain

I will be very happy if either of the two make appearance in game.
    Tibet - 7 (6+1) for me Tibet is more interesting and exciting.However they have to use back channel like Bhutan or different name to be part of series.And I have put more efforts here to save Tibet than Jawaharlal Nehru did in 1950s,so why stop at 2nd place.
    Vietnam - 4 (7-3) can't hide my support for Indosphere,but they will be great addition to represent IndoChina nd rival Khmer

2. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Tibet - 7+1=8 Paradox added Tibetan factions and religions to CK2 and nobody batted an eyelash.
    Vietnam - 4-3=1 I think 2nd place is a pretty good spot for them.

3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

Tibet - 8-3=5 I've seen some compelling arguments for them but they still don't beat Vietnam in my opinion.
    Vietnam - 1+1=2 My favorite out of the two and in my top 3 to begin with.

4. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Tibet - 5 - 3 = 2 Would spark controversy and that is a factor, like it or not (though I don’t like Tibet as much as Vietnam either). @The Kingmaker Given that CK2 has no Chinese localization, how many Chinese people do you think play CK2 compared to Civ, which does have Chinese localization? See https://steamcommunity.com/app/203770/discussions/0/152393186482440542/ for an example of a Chinese person pointing out CK2 is not widely known, understood or available in China, hence the lack of major controversy. Hearts of Iron 4 was also banned in China, so that’s why Paradox doesn’t release games there anymore. And unlike CK2, Civ is not only widely available in China, but it comes with interactive AI personalities with animation that are more visible than CK2 AI (who are mostly flat portraits). The closest Firaxis has gotten to a Tibetan civ is a city state in Civ V; the same for Jerusalem, which indicates they worry about controversy if those civs were to be added. Regardless of what we want or like, we could consider the ramifications if Firaxis adds in Tibet.
    Vietnam - 2 + 1 = 3 My favorite out of the two as well, and frankly a more interesting civ in my view. Also could use some differentiation so as to educate people away from the usual US association with a certain Vietnam War in the modern era.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  5. Leucarum

Leucarum Chieftain

I'm kind of surprised this ended up as almost a photo finish...

Tibet - 3= 2+1 - while wouldn't have been my first choice as I doubt they'll ever see the light of day, they do have a long and really interesting history. They would for sure be super interesting. A worthy winner.
    Vietnam - 0 = 3-3 Eliminated. I think they did pretty well. I'd probably play them but they wouldn't have made my top 3 list.

Xandinho and SagarRathore like this.
  6. Xandinho

Xandinho Warlord

So, the results are:

1. Tibet :trophy:
    2. Vietnam :trophy2nd:
    3. Navajo :trophy3rd:

4. Ashanti :trophy2:
    5. Hebrews :trophy2:
    6. Burma :banana:
    7. Swahili :dance:
    8. Tlingit :love:
    9. Madagascar :goodjob:
    10. Italy :D
    11. Goths :)
    12. Armenia :rolleyes:
    13. Bulgaria :think:
    14. Gauls :huh:
    15. Colombia :dunno:
    16. Berbers :shake:
    17. Pueblo :(
    18. Muisca :cry:
    19. Argentina :thumbsdown:
    20. Hawaiians :mad:
    21. Romania :wallbash:
    22. Olmecs [pissed]

Thanks a lot to everyone for the participation, this was a really great and decisive race.

Congratulations to Tibet, this unique and interesting culture. It's a shame we'll never see it in Civ.

7. BuchiTaton

BuchiTaton Chieftain

Great "Elimination Thread", was fun and interesting!

Just want to point that Olmecs was a bad option for Mesoamerica, is obvious that we dont know enough about them to be a possible on-game civ.
    If there is another thread like this just leave Olmecs out, there are many other mesoamerican options that are possible. Some examples:
    - MIXTECS, Iya Nacuaa Teyusi Ñaña, great conquereror and diplomat.
    - TOLTECS, Ce Acatl Topitltzin, the mythologised sage and religious reformed of Tollan.
    - TARASCANS, Tzitzi Pandácuare, great conqueror, Purepechas were the powerfull mesoamerican "oddball" rivals of the Aztecs.
    - TEOTIHUACANS, "Sperthrower Owl", great potential with the multiethnic Teotihuacan and their king-governors.
    - CHICHIMECS, Xolotl, the barbarian king. Tenamaxtle, the leader of a massive native rebelion againts the Spaniards, that was tougher that the conquest of Tenochtitlan.

Xandinho and TahamiTsunami like this.
  8. Leucarum

Leucarum Chieftain

To be honest I think it would be interesting to do these (if we do any more) by region. A lot of people were voting for the region they wanted expanded not neccessarily the civ they want. Assuming we could think of enough to add... maybe separate polls for which out of 20 european/middle east civs. 20 asian/pacific civs, 20 african civs and 20 american civs...

679x, Xandinho and TahamiTsunami like this.
  9. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Chieftain

That was definitely a close one!

I do like those ideas as well. We could do the best of each region before bringing the top 5 or so into a finals round, etc. It might also be worth considering the earlier considerations that upvotes and downvotes be equal in value but have some sort of system in there for gradual point loss or something like it. @Morningcalm had a good point of trying to bring more people in to play the game if possible.

Regardless, it was definitely a fun game!

Xandinho and EdmundIronside like this.
  10. Xandinho

Xandinho Warlord

If people are still interested in participating in these games, we can create a thread to discuss how this would work. It would be interesting to see which are the preferred civs on each continent, I think would not have problems adding "returning civs" too, excluding blobs.

11. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Or maybe an alternate leaders thread.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  12. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Chieftain

That would be cool to have a returning civs 'tournament' too. I'm thinking the returning and brand new civs should probably be separated since the returning civs would almost certainly be at the top.

Oh yeah, that hasn't been done in a while either. Good idea!

13. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: As this game is complete, this thread is closed. Reminder that moderator approval is required to open an elimination game thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.