New Beta Version - December 1st (12-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have religion disabled
I will try to upload a screen shot soon

I was a little off its 12 Culture
Screenshot (1).png

It looks like you're using 4UC, but 4UC doesn't boost castles.
What other mods are you using?

Just finished up a quick one as Theodora (quick in that I died on Turn 358. Korea has 77 techs, I have 56, and the world can't stop their advanced military so I'm calling it at this point). Only a few notes:

1) I think lancer could use one more 1 CS bump. I got to enjoy a lot of Cataphract -> Lancers in this game, and they still have a bit of trouble being relevant at that point in the game. But again I don't want to see a big buff, mainly because lancers are dirt cheap compared to other units at this point.

2) I gave God King a real try in this game. The idea was to use Theodora since my lack of founding wouldn't matter, just to see how well it scaled. I'm not saying I had the best game, but I was just disappointed all around. I have 26 of the various yields by the end game....and this thing is garbage to found with. I think I founded like 25-30 turns after the Immortal 100 turn cutoff. I guess if you are warring and have just converted the world this could get nice...but there are also better pantheons to help you war as well....so I'm not convinced this pantheon is worth anything on standard maps. Now on larger maps with a lot more people I could see how the scaling could get better. Frankly I would rather the pantheon scaled quicker and had a cap, that way it scale more consistently on map size and provide more useful yields when you need it.

Is turn 100 on immortal on standard speed?
(Sounds very early for epic.)

Is turn 100 on immortal on standard speed?
(Sounds very early for epic.)

Yes that is on Standard Speed. I found that on Immortal Difficulty if I shoot for Turn 100 I can found pretty consistently (once in a bluemoon all the religions go by turn 92 or so....and sometimes they go as long turn 115...but 100 is pretty consistently when the religions run out).

God King gives nothing to the ones you spread to. That's worthy in itself.

@HeathcliffWarriors, may I ask how do you plan the global powers of late game to understand how far they can meddle in worldwide affairs? I should think it has to do with the travel time of a decent intervention force. Like, if I can move an army that is at least a 33% of the expected defense forces in less than 5 turns, then I might consider that country in my influence range.
But devil's in the details. How many units would you consider? Only naval? England was one of the first worldwide powers, thanks to the huge navies and bases everywhere.

There's a multiplier to the WAR and HOSTILE scores based on proximity (also whether they really want to conquer you), so the AI will generally declare war more often against people close by.

A few more cents from my current playthrough (America, epic, immortal, I made notes); I was playing sort of a self-challenge to not found cities, only conquer and annex, anyway:
  • Pantheons do not 'spread' to conquered cities, which was kind of very annoying and added to the, in any case, difficult start. The cities also did not keep the Pantheon of the original owner, so it doubly sucked. Could that be changed.. in either way really..?
  • Trading luxury resources could use some general re-balance, considering that you can get so much value out of them (WLTKD/CS quests). Imo they are way too cheap.. both ways actually. The AI wants/gives 2-7 gpt for a multi-copy luxury, which is okay early game, but why would I ever take that deal and help their game later on, when I make several hundred gpt anyway? Also, I don't really need imported luxuries from midgame onwards aside from CS quests and WLTKD (if happiness is managed properly), and it's much easier to get WLTKD resources if you leave several luxuries on the market (otherwise cities are more likely to want something that I cannot get for a few bucks).
  • America's UA to buy other Civ's tiles. The diplomatic penalty is huge and seems to not decay at all(!?), up to the point where I am better off taking the whole city in a war. Seriously, why even have a UA that is borderline unusable?
    I don't mind a penalty in general, not even a large one, but it would feel much better if it continuously decayed.. maybe get refreshed and increased or something if you continue to buy tiles? Or make those tiles a lot more expensive (I think they are pretty cheap from midgame onward, like 1-2 turns of gold kind of cheap).
  • Balance-wise, should the scout promotion tree include medic I and II? They are pretty strong promotions to get for free early game (to siege the AI or sth), and I cannot see the AI use it as effectively as the player will (scout mobility and all).
  • Since I only play epic, I wonder what average (player) unit levels on normal game speed are. I don't 'farm experience' and usually freshly build units are ~ on par with units I have from way earlier eras.. Like.. I usually never have units above level 5-6 if I play naturally. Is that the same as on Normal game speed? The question arose for me, since I never get anywhere far in the promotion tree, so I wondered why its that large in the first place :)? (relatedly: in which file could one adjust the increased exp need on epic ever so slightly?)
  • Can the player disadvantage be somehow compensated when world congress wonders are build 'late'? The player production is added last, if I get it correctly, and there was literally no way for me to get the treasure fleet wonder, because it was essentially finished when my turn came..
  • Does the great merchant WLTKD duration scale properly with towns or sth? I'm pretty sure it gave me 7 turns always.
  • Strategy-wise, I was not able to get open borders from Brazil (in that case), even though it was the only option for me to reach our common enemy in war. We had embassies, I did not have a lot of tourism, but I could not get open borders for any prize or whatnot.
  • As a general observation for a while, Austria seems to be doing very well in every game they are in.. I will probably check their 'brokenness' next game.
Cheers!

America's UA is perfectly usable (you do get the tile) but it royally pisses off the AI when you steal their land, and increases war likelihood (they even tell you this).

It doesn't decay (else it would be very human exploitable) but you don't obtain the penalty while at war, and if you go to war the penalty is reset.

The idea is that the AI gets progressively angrier the more territory you steal during peacetime, until a war ends up happening.

I could nerf the opinion penalty per tile though (at least if you're not stealing resources/GPTIs/NWs.

Great work, @HeathcliffWarriors!!

I like the subtle nuances you added like:
- Anti-frustration feature: AI vassals are now required never to dig in their master's lands for artifacts or convert their master's cities. They will refrain from doing this even without asking them.
- If you ask the AI to do something (like not settle near you) and they agree, but they then ask you to stop doing that thing and you ignore them or break a promise to stop, this will cancel the AI's promise not to do that thing against you.

I also have some remarks:
- Other civs won't care if you DoW your vassal, but will usually apply a global opinion penalty for breaking war promises. The diplo malus for
DoW'ing a vassal lasts 3x the game deal duration (150 turns on standard).

Suggestion: perhaps other vassals should care ("what if it's my turn next?").

- I think I see the idea behind Montezuma's warmonger reduction, but I don't like AI-specific mechanics on principle. If Montezuma is deemed to weak an AI, then we should consider balance changes - but it deserves to be discussed in the Aztec thread. A smaller reduction could be made part of the UA.

- regarding the 3 Tiers: can't I exploit this setup by first interrupting a DoF via the Discuss menu, then declaring war or denouncing? I wouldn't get the highest-tier penalties then?

1) Good point re: other vassals. I can add that.

2) Montezuma, IIRC, already has the lowest possible warmonger hatred flavor, so it's not that large a jump, but I see your concern. The trouble is that the opinion/approach penalty for warmongering and anti-warmonger fervor are tied together, and I couldn't think of a better solution.

However, giving it some more thought, I could add a memory value tracking how many times war was declared by a specific player, and zero out warmongering penalty as long as the number of wars you declare on him remains zero, without changing anti-warmonger fervor...

3) Yes...although I've just thought of a solution for that.

Is it working as intended that asking civs not to send religious units to your cities anymore does not incur a diplomatic penalty?

Firaxis only added a penalty for asking not to settle and not to spy, the other promise requests don't incur a penalty.

A few more cents from my current playthrough (America, epic, immortal, I made notes); I was playing sort of a self-challenge to not found cities, only conquer and annex, anyway:
  • Pantheons do not 'spread' to conquered cities, which was kind of very annoying and added to the, in any case, difficult start. The cities also did not keep the Pantheon of the original owner, so it doubly sucked. Could that be changed.. in either way really..?
  • Trading luxury resources could use some general re-balance, considering that you can get so much value out of them (WLTKD/CS quests). Imo they are way too cheap.. both ways actually. The AI wants/gives 2-7 gpt for a multi-copy luxury, which is okay early game, but why would I ever take that deal and help their game later on, when I make several hundred gpt anyway? Also, I don't really need imported luxuries from midgame onwards aside from CS quests and WLTKD (if happiness is managed properly), and it's much easier to get WLTKD resources if you leave several luxuries on the market (otherwise cities are more likely to want something that I cannot get for a few bucks).
  • America's UA to buy other Civ's tiles. The diplomatic penalty is huge and seems to not decay at all(!?), up to the point where I am better off taking the whole city in a war. Seriously, why even have a UA that is borderline unusable?
    I don't mind a penalty in general, not even a large one, but it would feel much better if it continuously decayed.. maybe get refreshed and increased or something if you continue to buy tiles? Or make those tiles a lot more expensive (I think they are pretty cheap from midgame onward, like 1-2 turns of gold kind of cheap).
  • Balance-wise, should the scout promotion tree include medic I and II? They are pretty strong promotions to get for free early game (to siege the AI or sth), and I cannot see the AI use it as effectively as the player will (scout mobility and all).
  • As a general observation for a while, Austria seems to be doing very well in every game they are in.. I will probably check their 'brokenness' next game.
- Pantheon not spreading to conquered or bought cities (Venice) is indeed sometimes a problem. I would really like to see this changed into an automatic conversion, atleast till you have founded an own religion, after that its ok, if they stay like they are.
- Yeah, luxuries are too cheap later on. The AI didnt seem to use them strategic and buy them even if they are at 100% happiness and "should know" that you are getting an advantage by buying their luxuries.
- Never played America (kinda arrogant to call the USA like a whole continent), but I think it make sense as warmonger, cause you can buy tiles to come closer the enemy cities and be able to regenerate faster while sieging. Maybe the slow but permanent expansion of the early USA into the territories of the indogene population was the background of this UA? If you want to conquer them anyway, you probably dont care about the diplomatic penalty.
- Yeah, never saw an AI using the medic promotion on their scouts, while its a fantastic early game sieging support. I think removing the option would increase the human/AI balance.
- I agree, Austria can be a real monster. Neither Siam, Germany or Greece can beat Austria in the point of collecting CS and votes. Best to go for her early and eradicate Austria from the planet.

Ok, some more time playing, I think this new promotion on Skirmishers is borderline....
Ive needed a swordsman, 2 highly promoted composite bowman and a horseman to kill one Heavy Skirmisher.
2 Heavy Skirmisher were able to kill one of my Swordsman on open terrain with only one attack each, even my Swordsman has the cover promotion.
Thats silly. I dunno why you could think that a +50% CS/RCS promotion on a unit could be a good idea.

I'm not a fan of the Medic I and II promotions on the scout line either, but interestingly for quite a different reason. Specifically opportunity cost. Stacking mobility, visibility, and durability promotions has such incredible utility (at least, on the settings I play) that I can't imagine ever not going that path (unless you have a surplus of recon units I guess).

I would be in favour of Medic I and II being removed from the recon tree, but it should be noted that without them it is possible to run out of promotions to choose. Scout experience would effectively cap at level 10.

A few more diplo changes:
Code:
Fixed some bugs

Added some new memory values for upcoming improvements

AI will consider you untrustworthy if (among other things) you backstabbed them *or* any of your teammates backstabbed them, to prevent any sneaky exploits from working

AI will add your teammates' betrayals to your own when evaluating trustworthiness, for the same reason

Implemented suggestions from Omen of Peace:

If you declare war on your own vassal, any other vassals of yours will consider you untrustworthy

Reworked Aztec warmonger ignore mechanic:
- They will gain anti-warmonger fervor normally whether human or AI, so no combat disadvantages

- However, in regards to the opinion and approach penalty, unless Montezuma considers you a backstabber or you captured his capital/Holy City, warmongering penalties will be reduced to 0.

- Declaring war on him (except through vassalage/DPs) or capturing one of his cities removes 20% of this reduction; after 5 attacks he will view you the same as a normal AI,
albeit one with a very low WarmongerHate flavor.

- Attacking and/or betraying his teammates also counts against this

Ending a Declaration of Friendship via the Discuss menu now starts a 10-turn timer (visible in the opinion table for that AI). If you denounce or declare war on the AI during this time you
will receive backstabbing penalties as if you were still friends. This prevents exploits.
- Updated text to clearly warn the player about this.
- AI taught to not denounce/DoW while the timer is in effect.

Based on several games played over the last few versions, I can corroborate some of the patterns that others have reported in the AI's biases toward certain policies.
- They almost always start with Tradition or Authority, and almost never Progress.
- They choose Statecraft disproportionately often.
- They never choose Autocracy.

Hoping to see some of these addressed in the future.

In my recent game with Austria. Spain went Authority/Fealty/Imperialism and Autocracy and steamrolled the world.

Isabella AI dimply decided to conquest every city state in her reach strangling my income and denying 2 votes every time in WC.

Beside Arabia that was the second Civ score wise and first tech wise went from Freedom (like Austria and Brazil, my vassal) to Autocracy all of sudden and voluntarily vassalizing himself to Spain. I was shocked. Their capital was untouched.

America stayed in his isolationist Order with Egypt (his vassal) and Huns and Ethiopia (vassal) went in his DoW raging fury with Landslides and Artillery vs Heavy bombers/Bazookas and the like.

A few more diplo changes:
Code:
Fixed some bugs

Added some new memory values for upcoming improvements

AI will consider you untrustworthy if (among other things) you backstabbed them *or* any of your teammates backstabbed them, to prevent any sneaky exploits from working

AI will add your teammates' betrayals to your own when evaluating trustworthiness, for the same reason

Implemented suggestions from Omen of Peace:

If you declare war on your own vassal, any other vassals of yours will consider you untrustworthy

Reworked Aztec warmonger ignore mechanic:
- They will gain anti-warmonger fervor normally whether human or AI, so no combat disadvantages

- However, in regards to the opinion and approach penalty, unless Montezuma considers you a backstabber or you captured his capital/Holy City, warmongering penalties will be reduced to 0.

- Declaring war on him (except through vassalage/DPs) or capturing one of his cities removes 20% of this reduction; after 5 attacks he will view you the same as a normal AI,
albeit one with a very low WarmongerHate flavor.

- Attacking and/or betraying his teammates also counts against this

Ending a Declaration of Friendship via the Discuss menu now starts a 10-turn timer (visible in the opinion table for that AI). If you denounce or declare war on the AI during this time you
will receive backstabbing penalties as if you were still friends. This prevents exploits.
- Updated text to clearly warn the player about this.
- AI taught to not denounce/DoW while the timer is in effect.

Any chance that can we install this on top of 12.1.1 ?

My last game (Transparent diplomacy) some malus like not moving troops from borders lasted forever.

My vassals changed from Guarded to Afraid to Hostile and never to Friendly. Quite strange and annoying. I gifted him with gold, luxuries and technology, put a diplomat in his capital and still had a hard time getting good mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom