New Civ: Switzerland

Here's a comparison of the Hellebardier/Swiss Merc and the Pikeman:

Hellebardier

Regular Pikeman

As you can see, the Hellebardier has black and red pants, and a blue plume on the helmet (the plume is more visible in the pic in the first post)

That got a graphik? I only got 3 red points..... dam... no flagg and no special units graphic.... *upset* but the mod is good i really enjoyed playing it !

Fellow said:
hmmm not even heard about him in history lessons .. mitsho is he familliar to you?

no, not really, but that is probably quite normal regarding the lack of outstanding Swiss single personalities.. ;)

Robo Magic Man said:
It has 1 extra strength point and starts with Guerilla 1. A melee bonus would be a good idea, though I may add that.

A Suggestion for the Swiss Unique Unit
  • Strength: 6
  • Movement: 1
  • Promotions: Guerilla I
  • Special: +50% vs. Melee
  • Cost: Same

The Hellebardier would technically be more powerful than the Maceman, but I think that makes sense due to the prevalence of the pike in late Medieval and early Renaissance eras. Plus, there would then be impetus for the people to use the Pikeman since people tend to use Knights and Macemen with City Raider promotions when they go to war at that time.

For the sake of balance, however, you may want to make the bonus only +25%, since giving the Hellebardier +50% would make both the Maceman and the Crossbowman obsolete for the Swiss player.

For ranged troops, did the Swiss field archers or crossbowmen? I think most of Europe tended to use crossbows, did they not? If this is true, then you can have the Pikemen as a backup against melee, but the crossbowmen would be the chief protection against melee attacks.

A pillaging army of three Hellebardiers, two crossbowmen, and as many Knights as you like would be devastating to any opponent's economy. You'd have to hit it with several catapults before you could even attack it -- unless you were the Spanish, whose Conquistador can only be stopped by Gunpowder or other Knights, or Elephants.

Well actually i guess the helebardier wich you propose here is just overpovered... I would build a massive army of them (Guerrillia 1 + melee atack+mounted atack) you just couldn't counter it...

you said you will relook for the graph of the UU and the flagg have you done this yet? *pray* (it lucks just ridiculu if your UU is 3 red points and your flagg all white)

Ok, I just checked the mod, and found the problem. In the xml I typed hellebarider once instead of hellebardier. I have no idea why it worked for me, because I found the same typo in my version of the mod. Sorry for the problem. I just uploaded the fixed file.

However, I have no idea why the flag didn't work for you. There weren't any typos there.

Ok, now the link is fixed and tested. Sorry for all the problems.

Hi Robo Man,

great work! Being Swiss I really missed the opportunity to be the leader of a Swiss civilization (how could Firaxis dare not to include it in first place ;) ).

The choice and design of the UU are just fabulous. And I have nothing to add about the leaders (yeah, there aren't many outstanding Swiss leaders in history... maybe one could add Adolf Ogi, for his international career, but then again he wasn't that popular and among his greatest achievements is that he told the public how to boil eggs...)

But I have two suggestions to make to further improvements the mod:
1. Use of the ancient Swiss flag (see attachment)
2. Addition of Swiss audio files (German commentaries are utterly unacceptable!)

Does anybody know how to do that (once you have proper recordings, of course)? The second problem is of course picking the right phrases. I thought about that for a while and had the following ideas:
"Nume nid gsprängt" (for military units; means "don't hurry")
"äuä" (for anything; typical for Bern and means just nothing at all)
"he nu so de" (same as above)
"eis, zwöi, drü" (for all those who know the film "cool runnings")

So this goes out to the Swiss in this forum: do you have further ideas or comments? If anybody can tell me how to handle the audio files I will try to record them.

Attachments

• swiss_old.gif
    swiss_old.gif
    5 KB · Views: 104
You know burriad you'r tuching a very difficult problem talking about the language....
you'r proposing swiss german , from Bern what about Basel Graubünden St.Gallen etz... What about the french / italian / retromanien speaking parts?

About the Flag actually there are yo many "ancient swiss flagg" that you just couldn't choose one of them and say this would be a bether one than the one we have nowadays.... if you'r really intrested in Flaggs i can send you some good links about swiss flaggs and how they changed.

Well, I know that there are many different ancient Swiss flags, and many more dialects and even languages... but it's just for the fun of it, no intention to be politically correct.

About the comments: There is the possibility to have different comments in different dialects/languages. (Why not having workers speaking rumantsch, settlers french and so on?)

I think Switzerland was always based on a mythical belief in independence and therefore it would seem OK to use completely mythical "leaders" such as Wilhelm Tell using "Wir wollen sein ein einzig Volk von Brüdern..." as his opening phrase.

I also think, that the Swiss always had "Universal Suffrage", "Free Speech", "Emancipation", "Free Market" and "Free Religion" as their favourite civic (although we had a hard time actually implementing them).

In regard of the languages, i would favour "burriad"s idear of using various Swiss dialects fo different units, giving complete coverage of "Schwyzerdütsch" (from Basel to Wallis), French, Italian and Rätoromanisch.

Ok, then feel free to create a bunch of sound files in Schwyzerdütsch. I don't have a microphone or know the language, so I can't make new sounds. If anyone makes these files, send them to me in a PM and I'll be more than happy to add them.

Hi im new to the game i like it its one of my favorite civs you get an A +

Top Bottom