New Civilization: Canada

AlCosta15 said:
Why isn't it working for me?
It says it cant read a file. All your other civs have worked for me. It says this during extraction.

I don't know :confused:
I've downloaded the file minutes ago for a test and played the mod and it worked fine.

The Best Leader for Canada will be Good 'ol Ralphie.... Although not elected yet.... One day he will be! therefore I think we should maybe jump the gun.... A beer toting...Verbally abusive... yet intelligent dictator is just what Canada needs.

You have a leader of the old french colony how about the hero of the english. General Wolfe.

Some would say he sis no Canadian because he is an englishman, and some would say Champlain was not Canadian because he was a frenchman. Since your mod seems to place a lot of focus at the time when Canada was 2 distinct colonies why not capture both. You alienate a lot of Canadians by only picking a French leader this might help cover your bases.

Stats

Name: General James Wolfe
Characteristics: Aggressive Organized
Favoured Civic: Hereditary Rule

Canada would be a very different place had Wolfe not lead the English to victory against a larger french force on the Plains of Abraham which is now in Quebec City. Both General Wolfe and his french counterpart General Louis-Joseph de Montcalm were killed in the battle but that set the stage for the confederated Canada of today.

This is a famous painting of the dying General Wolfe.

Like SuperBeaver I disagree with the mountie as a UU but when I see your unit modle I can really complain because it is really well done. The only mistake, and it is a small one is that thier hats are brown not red and they have a yellow strip down either side of the pants. They are a police force, not a an army though remember that today they are the equivalent of the FBI in Canada. Mounties is kinda a slang term I think you should call them the North West Mounted Police or maybe even just Mounted Police if you want them as a cavalry unit. NWMP is what they were called at the time of thier inception.

I am a stonch supporter of Wyz_subs more contemporary Canada mod, but yours captures Canada at a diffferent time. Maybe you two should collaberate turn 2 excellent mods into one spectacular mod?

Just some suggestions and comments.

I finally got it to work. I have no idea why it didn't work earlier. Looks good! Ill
try it later tonight.

R-A-N-M-A said:
You have a leader of the old french colony how about the hero of the english. General Wolfe.

Some would say he sis no Canadian because he is an englishman, and some would say Champlain was not Canadian because he was a frenchman. Since your mod seems to place a lot of focus at the time when Canada was 2 distinct colonies why not capture both. You alienate a lot of Canadians by only picking a French leader this might help cover your bases.

I'll say it. :p Wolfe was a British general. He wasn't even a governor. That would make as much sense as Joan of Arc. :p

R-A-N-M-A said:
Like SuperBeaver I disagree with the mountie as a UU but when I see your unit modle I can really complain because it is really well done. The only mistake, and it is a small one is that thier hats are brown not red and they have a yellow strip down either side of the pants. They are a police force, not a an army though remember that today they are the equivalent of the FBI in Canada. Mounties is kinda a slang term I think you should call them the North West Mounted Police or maybe even just Mounted Police if you want them as a cavalry unit. NWMP is what they were called at the time of thier inception.

Or perhaps call them RCMP. :p

Well I'm sure its not your fault but having this leader for Canada is insulting. I'm Canadian and well I'll never play your mod because of it. I'm assuming you asked sombody or looked it up on the internet or somthing but as for leaders refer to the other Canada mod for the leaders you should have had. Please replace him!!! Thx.:sad:

purplexus said:
The Best Leader for Canada will be Good 'ol Ralphie.... Although not elected yet.... One day he will be! therefore I think we should maybe jump the gun.... A beer toting...Verbally abusive... yet intelligent dictator is just what Canada needs.

You must be Albertan :p :goodjob:

BlowPhish said:
Well I'm sure its not your fault but having this leader for Canada is insulting. I'm Canadian and well I'll never play your mod because of it. I'm assuming you asked sombody or looked it up on the internet or somthing but as for leaders refer to the other Canada mod for the leaders you should have had. Please replace him!!! Thx.:sad:

To be fair, I don't think he was trying to insult anyone. I think he may have just been looking for someone that helped to build this part of the world early in it's history. Champlain did play a large role in settling the near-interior, which helped pave the way for the development of the fur trade, the arrival of the Scots, etc.

I agree with you that he's not the right choice, however. But I think it was an honest attempt.

I dont know if anybody has said this yet but CHAMPLAIN WAS A BLOODY FRENCHMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wyz_sub10 said:
To be fair, I don't think he was trying to insult anyone. I think he may have just been looking for someone that helped to build this part of the world early in it's history. Champlain did play a large role in settling the near-interior, which helped pave the way for the development of the fur trade, the arrival of the Scots, etc.

I agree with you that he's not the right choice, however. But I think it was an honest attempt.

He's contributing loads of mods here so thumbs up for that. However when you have your mod represent a certain country it would definitly be in your best interests to do some good research instead of just throwing whoever into it. Otherwise whats the point of making the mod? Also it makes me question the other mods created by this guy. If he's got Canada wrong then maybe he's got the other civs wrong as well. I'm no history buff so thats where I'm coming from. Heck if he just really likes the guy or somthing speak up at least that would be reason for it. Its too bad though cause the work looks nice but there's no reason to support somthing I don't agree with.

William12123 said:
I dont know if anybody has said this yet but CHAMPLAIN WAS A BLOODY FRENCHMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...And MacDonald was a Scot, but nobody would care. Once again, there would be no Canada at all without Champlain.

The choice of the Canadian leader looks like the choice of the Brazilian leader on the Brazilian Civ Fan Site, we use to debate hard there too :lol: Both countries have too many options and none brings consensus. We use to joke there that if a single civ should allow 100 different leaders had been people complain any important leader continues out or the choices weren't good enought :lol:

So, I choice Champlain, cos I did his leaderhead for Civ3 mounths ago, it was a request of many people, mostly Canadians and it was easy to convert it for Civ4 static LH. For this reason this LHs is here :D I have to remind that all my LHs r not propaganda for any specific leader, so, if I did Champlain or another LH doesn't mean that I love the way the leader ruled. It is just a LH and it is useful to a lof of mods out there :D BTW, I did two leader for Brazil in Civ4, Emperor Pedro II and President Getúlio Vargas, I don't like both leaders and I think both were (very) bad for Brazil and South America, but if people ellected them as the better choices I think the best option was produce both LHs and play.

To improve my Canadian civ I can:
- redo the city list in case it is necessary.
- redo the civilopedia entry
- rechoice the Champlain bonuses
- change the UU
- add a second leader. Champlain could represents the "French" area of the country and this second leader could represents the other parts.
- redo the flag

Well, all this if it was really necessary, for this reason I expect suggestions. I can use the stuff done on the first Canadian civ thread if u people want, no problem ;)

thanks for the attention and good game! :D

If you want a French-Canadian leader, the best bets would be Sir Wilfred Laurier or Pierre Trudeau.

English-Canadian the best would be Sir John A. MacDonald, Lester B. Pearson, or William Lyon Mackenzie King.

I would recomend using the Champlain leaderhead and using it for a Quebec civilization.

SuperBeaverInc. said:
I'll say it. :p Wolfe was a British general. He wasn't even a governor. That would make as much sense as Joan of Arc. :p

If we want a British Colonial ruler, I would recommend Isaac Brock.
But there are better choices. I personally would go with Pierre Elliot Trudeau, since he is the only major Canadian leader who is both French and English. We should have one figure to represent the entire country.

SuperBeaverInc. said:
English-Canadian the best would be Sir John A. MacDonald, Lester B. Pearson, or William Lyon Mackenzie King.

:mischief: Hmm, and are you supporting the Eastern Conference in this week-ends coming game?

What's wrong with Dief the Chief?

OT: @ Corvex. What part of Winnipeg you from? I'm in River Heights.

Corvex said:
If we want a British Colonial ruler, I would recommend Isaac Brock.

Sir Isaac Brock was another British general, never governor, and apparently he didn't even like Canada that much.

A quote from Wikipedia:

"Although many Canadians have come to view Brock as one of their own, Brock never really felt at home in Canada. Although he was complimentary toward Quebec City, on the whole Brock viewed the country as a backwater, and earnestly wished to return to Europe to fight against Napoleon. Furthermore, Brock mistrusted the Canadian colonists, many of whom he suspected of being American sympathizers, and was reluctant to arm them to help defend the colonies; he was far happier fighting alongside British regulars and Tecumseh's native fighters."

PeteT said:
:mischief: Hmm, and are you supporting the Eastern Conference in this week-ends coming game?

I don't like either team. And also, the CFL has divisions, not conferences :p

PeteT said:
What's wrong with Dief the Chief?

The others are better :p

UPGRADE OF NOV./25th:

1) Stuff that I'll change in the next version:
- Starting techs: Hunting and Agriculture

2) Unique Unit, what is your vote?
- Mountie: 1 vote
- Other? Which one?
PS: This 1st vote is mine.

3) Second leader:
- Trudeau: 1 vote
- Other? Which one?
PS: This 1st vote is mine.

4) Civilopedia entry:
- The one that cames with my mod
- The one that cames with the other Canadian mod

I think this way I can have a better view of the changes/adding that I must to do :)

Top Bottom