New Natural Wonders

turingmachine

Emperor
So the patch added three new natural wonders:

Cerro de Potosi
+10 Gold

(I have no problem with this one as it's an actual geographic feature)

El Dorado
+5 Culture
+500 Gold to the first person to discover

Fountain of Youth
+10 Happy
Any unit that walks next to the natural wonder gets a permanent +50% heal rate bonus

I don't know how I feel about mythical natural wonders being added. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

honestly man its cool for a scenario but i think there could have been any number of better choices that are historically accurate. i like how they all dont do the same thing anymore.

So the patch added three new natural wonders:

Cerro de Potosi
+10 Gold

(I have no problem with this one as it's an actual geographic feature)

El Dorado
+5 Culture, +500 Gold to the first person to discover

Fountain of Youth
+10 Happy, "All units that are next to it heal at double rate for the rest of the game"

(I don't know how I feel about mythical natural wonders being added. Anyone else have thoughts on this? Plus can anyone confirm how the Fountain of Youth works? Does it give a permanent heal bonus even after the unit leaves the vicinity of the wonder, i.e. "for the rest of the game"?

Also, can anyone confirm these actually spawn in a random game. I got the info from the civlopedia but haven't played enough to check. Maybe they're just for the upcoming scenario?)

Potosi was a nice touch that I wasn't expecting, but the other two are silly. I'm not playing National Treasure Civ am I? This is exactly what Ensamble did with AoE III and look where they are now....

i got el dorado pretty quickly and did get the 500 gold. I was like holy crap i can almost buy a settler on turn 4. it was in a city states zone so they would eventually work it i guess. i like it fine since i found it first i spose but otherwise its kinda a big sum. if my neighbor got it and spammed out a couple of cities before i even built a settler i would prolly be hella pissed

El Dorado can kind of make sense, it's like King Solomon's mines or something. You find an ancient city that was founded on a gold mine. It's like a fetishistic cult all about gold so you reap a huge treasure from the ruins.

Fine.

But what logical reason is there for that Fountain of Youth effect? Seriously!

Disappointed by their additions (with the exception of Cerro de Potosi), though I am pleased by the yields and bonuses now attributed to Natural Wonders as it makes me more likely to settle near them and actually work them. Plus there's the happiness bonus for having them in your territory.

Fountain of Youth is just plain stupid, no doubt about it. I've already set their frequency of appearing to 0.

As if luxury lotto didn't matter enough already. Let's hope that if and when there is a HOF mod, it disables these ridiculously imbalanced tiles. A random, early 500:c5gold: or +10:c5happy: bonanza for one player is not a good idea.

As I said in another thread, this is hella stupid. I'm hoping that rarity code is set pretty damn high ;)

I don't really care about their names. It's not like they have to be magical. Civ 5 is so abstract in itself that the Fountain of Youth could easily represent some cult of Healing / Doctors.

I swear if you want to complain about the historical about some magic wonders in a computer game, you'd better not be religious :p.

Cerro del Potosi is a nice addition...but El dorado?, fountain of youth? really!?

I dont like them to start adding mythical wonders when there's so many natural landmarks to choose from.

meh

Someone please tell me this is a joke... 500 gold? +10 happiness? For the dumb luck of starting next to a magic uber tile? Yikes. Reminds me of ivory -> Statue of Zeus in Civ3 Conquests, and that was *BAD*.

This is supposed to be a strategy game, right? :confused:

Yeah, +10 happy is five extra cities...of course, on the other hand, it's 'only' the equivalent of two untradeable luxuries.

Hmm, is there any famous natural fountain or spring I can rename the Fountain of Youth to (and nerf it's bonus in a mod)?

A random, early 500:c5gold: or +10:c5happy: bonanza for one player is not a good idea.

Actually the fountain is +10 happiness AND a free double heal rate promotion to any unit you walk next to it ever. Way overpowered.

As if luxury lotto didn't matter enough already. Let's hope that if and when there is a HOF mod, it disables these ridiculously imbalanced tiles. A random, early 500:c5gold: or +10:c5happy: bonanza for one player is not a good idea.

It's a horrible idea. Is there a disabling function for these, or do you mean modding them?

Someone please tell me this is a joke... 500 gold? +10 happiness? For the dumb luck of starting next to a magic uber tile? Yikes. Reminds me of ivory -> Statue of Zeus in Civ3 Conquests, and that was *BAD*.

This is supposed to be a strategy game, right? :confused:

It is my all-time least favorite Civ bad joke. Now I can finally begin to see how hard they are trying to entertain non-serious players, who would clearly find it lots of fun.

The names are dumb, but the OP effects are actually damaging. 500 gold theoretically possibly from turn 2 on...that's nuts. Rush buy your first two things...

It's a horrible idea. Is there a disabling function for these, or do you mean modding them?

They can be disabled manually; somebody provided the code in the main thread about the patch's release, IIRC. What I mean is that I hope that the HOF mod disables them, if and when it is released.

@Dark Jedi06
Where do I need to go to set the value to 0? Don't like these mythical wonders. Especially the fountain of youth.

@Dark Jedi06
Where do I need to go to set the value to 0? Don't like these mythical wonders. Especially the fountain of youth.

Steam > steamapps > common > sid meier's civilization V > Assets > Gameplay > XML > Terrain > CIV5Features.xml

Changes in bold:

Code:
<Type>FEATURE_FOUNTAIN_YOUTH</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_FEATURE_FOUNTAIN_YOUTH</Description>
      <Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_FEATURES_FOUNTAIN_YOUTH_TEXT</Civilopedia>
      <Help>TXT_KEY_CIV5_FEATURES_FOUNTAIN_YOUTH_HELP</Help>
      <ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_FEATURE_FOUNTAIN_YOUTH</ArtDefineTag>
			<Movement>1</Movement>
			<Impassable>true</Impassable>
			<AdjacentUnitFreePromotion>PROMOTION_FASTER_HEAL</AdjacentUnitFreePromotion>
			<InBorderHappiness>10</InBorderHappiness>
			[B]<OccurrenceFrequency>0</OccurrenceFrequency>[/B]
			<YieldNotAdditive>true</YieldNotAdditive>
			<InfluenceCost>-3</InfluenceCost>
			<SeeThrough>2</SeeThrough>
			<Rough>true</Rough>
			<NaturalWonder>true</NaturalWonder>
			<NoImprovement>true</NoImprovement>
			<IconAtlas>NW_ATLAS_DLC</IconAtlas>
			<PortraitIndex>1</PortraitIndex>

Code:
<Type>FEATURE_EL_DORADO</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_FEATURE_EL_DORADO</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_FEATURES_EL_DORADO_TEXT</Civilopedia>
      <Help>TXT_KEY_CIV5_FEATURES_EL_DORADO_HELP</Help>
			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_FEATURE_EL_DORADO</ArtDefineTag>
			<Movement>1</Movement>
			<Impassable>true</Impassable>
			<FirstFinderGold>500</FirstFinderGold>
			<Culture>5</Culture>
			[B]<OccurrenceFrequency>0</OccurrenceFrequency>[/B]
			<YieldNotAdditive>true</YieldNotAdditive>
			<InfluenceCost>-3</InfluenceCost>
			<SeeThrough>2</SeeThrough>
			<Rough>true</Rough>
			<NaturalWonder>true</NaturalWonder>
			<NoImprovement>true</NoImprovement>
			<IconAtlas>NW_ATLAS_DLC</IconAtlas>
			<PortraitIndex>0</PortraitIndex>

Same goes for Potosi, but I didn't change that one because I thought it was a good inclusion. :D

Top Bottom