1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

New Units??

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by nokmirt, Feb 19, 2012.

1. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

I guess elephants are the stereotype since Hannibal used them in his "Crossing of the Alps".
    I believe Civ IV used Numidian cavalry.
    I just don't want too many knight replacements.
    We are already at 5.

2. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Yes I realize those 14 elephants made quite an uproar in history. Numidian cavalry should replace horsemen like Companion cavalry in the Classical era.

3. anandus

anandus Errorist

Hammurabi and his famous Code of Elephants? :rolleyes: :lol:

4. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

:lol:

Most of Hannibal's elephants died in the crossing and the rest died shortly after. When he returned to Carthage to fight Scipio at Zama, his newly acquired elephants backfired and were the biggest reason for his defeat.

But Carthage did have some success in the First Punic War before Rome knew how to fight against them.

5. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Chieftain GOTM Staff

i wouldnt mind seeing units that do less in the damage arena and more in the strategy use like setting traps (pits or nets) on a tile that prevent movement for X amount of turns or IED's that destroy a land unit but also remove a tile improvement (same graphic as pillaged to show the damage).

also i'd like to see a unit that when garrisoned can attack without "un-garrisoning" to reflect things like boiling oil over the walls or murder-hole/castle slits. maybe even make them require a city to have a castle to use them (and available upon teching castles). they could even be limited to only attacking units 1 tile away to affect strategies and prevent some range abuses.

that, or the idea could be reflected in an improved castle type that increases a city's dmg to explain the boiling oil. i'd be fine with either new combat tactic.

6. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

The units in the G&K shots with the Infantry helmet icon now look like WWII American GI's instead of WWI-era British Tommies.

old:

new:

Whether this means that the old graphic is now being used for a new WWI-specific infantry unit is anyone's guess.

7. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Yeah, I found it. It would be odd if it kept the same logo, but it might not be final. I don't see why they would change it unless they add a new unit.

I think this is strong indication that the Industrial age has been expanded (especially with the Machinegun and Landship)

8. Putmalk

Putmalk Chieftain

Yeah, seriously. I cannot wait for a screenshot of the new tech tree. Hopefully the industrial/modern age as much fun as the ancient age is to play. :)

9. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

Woops.
    I meant Hannibal.
    @Hammer Rabbi's name was on screen, so it popped into my mind.

10. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Chieftain GOTM Staff

yeah, ive gotten them confused many a time too, haha.

11. TheHanzou

TheHanzou Chieftain

is this only about special units?

Theres a lot of normal Unit and unit types i want added:

Privateers (no nationality, steal/capture etc)
    Franctireurs (cant get xp, dont start with xp, no upkeep, low cost, 1 per city)
    Partisans/Guerillia (can spawn near captured cities and in your own territory, much like paratroopers)
    paramilitary unit (upgrade from Franctireurs)
    Complete Scout unit tree (explorer, spec ops with special abilities)
    Split Artillery into 2 progression steps (to strong atm)
    Tomahawk/Cruise Missiles that can target Buildings
    Cruiser/mobile SAM that can intercept missiles/nukes

Unit progression is currently a little bit to linear, you dont really get to choose much you only move up to the next ladder step, especially in the later Tiers.

12. Bechhold

Bechhold Chieftain

TBH I'll be sort of ticked if they count great persons as Units...

13. Putmalk

Putmalk Chieftain

Great People are units, though. So it's perfectly valid and not "deceptive" in any way. Just like wonders are buildings.

14. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

And as said, the marketing department would be very stupid if they did not count them in, bigger numbers always seem better ;-)

15. Scarpa

Scarpa Chieftain

Great People show up in the units screen now, after all.

16. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I have a feeling thats the case. It also makes me have a good feeling they are adding a new era to the game encompassing WWI. Which would be quite interesting because its never been done officially.

17. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

This is a good point; the Scout definitely needs a later-era upgrade.

That does seem to fit what little information we have.

18. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I can't think of a name for it, though (short of using the wars as markers, it's not really done in history). A more logical option would be to take techs in the late industrial age and put them in the modern era.

BTW, although the industrial age is currently three columns long, because of the logjam at the beginning, I don't think it's actually as diverse as previous eras.

19. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

I actually didn't mean an actual new era, but rather a distinction between the early industrial/WWI units and the later WWII era with modern aircraft and tanks and carriers. I think in the current game it's way too abbreviated, getting tanks at the same time as the first "modern" destroyers, and carriers at the same time as the first aircraft. It will be good with the techs stretched out a bit in that era.

20. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I feel the same. If not a new distinct era. Spreading out the WWI from WWII units is essential.