New Version - August 7th (8-7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure why a major overhaul of all medieval trees was necessary at this stage, but of course I will try it.
What immedetely jumps at me ist that now fealty is the only of those trees that is feasable for really large empires, because it is the only one that has happiness that scales with the amount of cities, whereas the other two trees happiness sources will cap very quickly. Before, this was only for Aesthetics.

It went through a lot of discussion already but I think the Medieval trees were definitely a bit unbalanced previously. Specifically, Aesthetics was the best and Piety was kinda crappy. Part of the problem was that so many of Piety's bonuses were focused around religion, and while that makes sense given that it's the religious tree and all, by midgame the religions of the game are usually pretty firmly entrenched and Piety's bonuses for spreading them become fairly irrelevant.

Statecraft's boost to influence is also pretty big, it'll give Statecraft Civs a real direct edge in CS diplomacy that they didn't have before. I almost wonder if 50% when the tree is completed is too much but time will tell.

Between the loss of double theming bonuses and the recent changes to the way that cultural influence works, Tourism seems like it might be a fair amount weaker in general, but again, will have to play and see.

Last edited:
"Exchange Markets - Resources from City-States count towards Global Monopolies. [...]"

That one's very interesting! I'd like all policies to have such interesting impact on gameplay.

It went through a lot of discussion already but I think the Medieval trees were definitely a bit unbalanced previously. Specifically, Aesthetics was the best and Piety was kinda crappy. Part of the problem was that so many of Piety's bonuses were focused around religion, and while that makes sense given that it's the religious tree and all, by midgame the religions of the game are usually pretty firmly entrenched and Piety's bonuses for spreading them become fairly irrelevant.

Statecraft's boost to influence is also pretty big, it'll give Statecraft Civs a real direct edge in CS diplomacy that they didn't have before. I almost wonder if 50% when the tree is completed is too much but time will tell.

Between the loss of double theming bonuses and the recent changes to the way that cultural influence works, Tourism seems like it might be a fair amount weaker in general, but again, will have to play and see.

AKA another reason not to let Austria get too comfortable if you spawn near her. I let her do her thing and by the time the World Congress gets here (I play on Epic) she will have a stranglehold on City-States.

Is the AI pathing in anyway coded to try to avoid discovered barbarian camps? I send my missionaries across the world but it's like they deliberately want to be killed by barbarians that arent even in the way.

Is the AI pathing in anyway coded to try to avoid discovered barbarian camps? I send my missionaries across the world but it's like they deliberately want to be killed by barbarians that arent even in the way.

The pathfinder, no. The AI, however, does. You can use the automator for missionaries if you want to let the AI take the wheel.

I don't really get why in Statecraft the player needs to get free paper. Yes, I get that it's about investing in City-States - but isn't that what Chanceries are for? 2 paper is a LOT. I can understand 1 paper for every 2 CS, or even just 1 paper...but two? And yes, I realize this has been extant in previous versions as well...it also bothered me then. Something seems really wrong when I can invest totally in allying CS without any investment at all in things that would create paper.

I don't really get why in Statecraft the player needs to get free paper. Yes, I get that it's about investing in City-States - but isn't that what Chanceries are for? 2 paper is a LOT. I can understand 1 paper for every 2 CS, or even just 1 paper...but two? And yes, I realize this has been extant in previous versions as well...it also bothered me then. Something seems really wrong when I can invest totally in allying CS without any investment at all in things that would create paper.
I think it's for tall gameplay. You can't get much paper without many cities, at least not initially.

Considering that ambassadors cost 7 paper...2 isn't that egregious.

G

Considering that ambassadors cost 7 paper...2 isn't that egregious.

G

For Ambassadors - no. But when you get Statecraft often even before Envoys come around, the bonus is quite insane. I'm talking about much earlier on than this. I suppose if the bonus scaled or changed by era (so that by the time Ambassadors came around, the bonus was 2), it would make more sense.

For Ambassadors - no. But when you get Statecraft often even before Envoys come around, the bonus is quite insane. I'm talking about much earlier on than this. I suppose if the bonus scaled or changed by era (so that by the time Ambassadors came around, the bonus was 2), it would make more sense.

The whole point of statecraft is preparing for the future. Besides, it is also the trading branch - sell your excess paper.

G

The whole point of statecraft is preparing for the future. Besides, it is also the trading branch - sell your excess paper.

G
An major issue is that its an inconsistent source of paper. I have lots of extra now, but if I sell it and lose some CS I no longer have enough

If it was added to help tall empires, we have other options. Instead the policy give extra paper on the scrivener's office and printing press (and maybe a couple other yields too)

An major issue is that its an inconsistent source of paper. I have lots of extra now, but if I sell it and lose some CS I no longer have enough

If it was added to help tall empires, we have other options. Instead the policy give extra paper on the scrivener's office and printing press (and maybe a couple other yields too)

Diplomacy should never be wholly predictable. ;)

G

Diplomacy should never be wholly predictable. ;)

G
I'm not advocating being wholly predictable in any way

It seems to me that +2 paper for scrivener, printing press, and wire service would achieve everything this wants to while removing some silliness, like having 20 paper when I still have emissaries

Bug doesn't let me continue.
I got enough faith to found a pantheon, but it seems like all of them are already taken. That's why i can't choose it to continue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 180
Bug doesn't let me continue.
I got enough faith to found a pantheon, but it seems like all of them are already taken. That's why i can't choose it to continue.
You would think when we had 43 civs by now we would have at least 43 pantheons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom