1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Version - June 2nd (6-2)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Jun 2, 2019.

1. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Chieftain

The issue is that I can get a couple of CS alliances in Ancient Era with a single quest before I have access to diplomatic units. I play normally on Standard and getting alliance with CS that early is nearly impossible unless I'm playing Siam and maybe get stars aligned that lets me kill barbarians nearby to reach alliance level.

12 turns of allying and 10 turns of befriend a cultural CS and/or Religious CS in the ancient era when you have 1 or 2 cities? I'm sure you can tell that those yields are incredible powerful when you produce very little in culture/faith in comparison to that.

2. Omen of Peace

Omen of Peace Chieftain

Agreed. You should file a bug report.
    (Though it's possible G will send you back to the forums, asking us to hash it out collectively.)

3. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Just "finished" a game on Turn 372 (and by finished I mean it gave me a hard crash....man, so disappointing:( )

So my first game as France in a while. As a builder player moonlighting as a warmonger, France was fun to play. The cultural aspect of the warring was fun, and Chateau's give a lot of builder love to what is otherwise a very solidly warring civ.

Happiness wise, I did pretty well. I fluttered between 1 tier of Global Unhappiness and no unhappiness most of the game. I found my cities an even split so happy and highly unhappy. Going down the war tech tree, there wasn't really much I could do to stop the unhappiness short of public works, but even with that my unit production turns weren't terrible (9-10 turns), so the cities still served a purpose as secondary unit creators.

As I noted in another thread, this was the game where China murdered me with their Logistic Musketman against my cover II musketeers. China was the top dog, but I was a close second, and had finally built up my airforce for sweet sweet revenge. And...then it CTDs and I will never got to have my victory :(

A few notes playing around with modern era combat.

1) I think the covering fire promotion penalty could be increased for fortified units and armor units. I don't mind that Gatling Guns are the top unit for their time, but its a bit over the top right now. Landships do alright against them but they just murder everything else, and its not like landships are an automatic counter if you have a group of them. I think melee units that are fortified should be able to hold a bit more against them.

2) I know in the latest patch that ranged unit CS was reduced by 1. I'm happy to see it, I think we have steadily gone back to "ranged is king". But I don't know if a few CS tweaks are really going to solve it. The golden age of melee in the game was a time when melee units would basically 1 shot equivalent ranged units with decent flanking (aka swordsman 1 shotted c bows, tercios one shoted muskets, etc). Ranged units still had the ability to sit back and kill units from the comfort of their own home, but if melee broke the line they would rip a ranged line to shreds. In that time, a ranged line without melee support was suicidal. That was changed a decently long time ago, and since then I think ranged has just become more dominant as people have gotten smarter at the game. There is no substitute for holding a line while the AI throws wave after wave of units at you. Melee units will never serve more than a token defense and position holding role, with ranged (and especially skirmishers) being the mainstay of the army.

So in summary, I personally miss the days of dominant melee. I thought it was a lot more fun to be able to rip into a line (and possibly be ripped in return), than to just ranged attack, rinse and repeat. And likewise the tension of ensuring proper melee cover for your ranged line, as a big mistake could cause a serious hit to your forces.

3) A question, when you get the free airport for Autocracy Tier 3, do you still pay the maintenance cost of the buildings, or are they truly free?

4) I noted it in the units thread, but Rifleman are a very bad unit at the moment. Fusiliers aren't the greatest because of GG dominance, but they have a decent role against lancers and Calvary. But rifleman don't do well against anything at the moment, and without their mounted bonus they are really no better against lancer and Calvary than the fusilier is. The thing to remember about landships and then light tanks later on is they get a special extra bonus, they take reduced damage from gatling and machine guns. So a straight CS comparison isn't enough). I think they should at least get the mounted bonus back, with probably a few CS bumps to go with it.

vyyt and JamesNinelives like this.
  4. Txurce

Txurce Warlord

I hope you posted in the wrong thread!

5. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

No, this game was played on the June 2nd version.

6. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

The -1 RCS on ranged/siege/mountedrange should help a little with Stalker’s problem.

I agree, however, that riflemen and infantry don’t really have what it takes, because they don’t have an anti-armor role, and ranged chews them up pretty good. Air also comes in at that point, and so at a time where other combat roles are being introduced (air, aircraft carriers), and old units getting new tools (covering fire, mounted—>armor), the infantry line gets stripped of its anti-mounted role, and are left with less utility. Ouch.

Maybe infantry units could be shifted to a semi-siege role. Riflemen/infantry could get city assault for free, or a new Urban Combat promotion (-25% damage from cities, +25% vs cities and fortified units)

Bromar1, Legen and JamesNinelives like this.
  7. vyyt

vyyt Chieftain

I agree completely about the range being too strong. I reduce their ranged strength about 30% (less before Xbows, more starting with GGs). I also decreased CS of some. I don't like ranged dominating the battlefield, but it seemed people liked it last time I brought this up.

Have you tried salvaging your game with IGE? You can start by deleting the AI civ which is causing it and then pinpointing the city or unit which made an illegal move or something funny.