New Window?

bestbrian

Just this guy, ya know?
How come every time I click on the site now (to change a page, look at an image, heck, do anything) the site opens a new blank window? It's very annoying.

How come every time I click on the site now (to change a page, look at an image, heck, do anything) the site opens a new blank window? It's very annoying.

Might be full-page advertisements trying to load, because I got one or two of them, and I'm not getting them anywhere else...

I get this a lot too. It doesn't seem to be limited to the flash update thingie.

Please either try to get a screen shot of the new window or post the entire url that the window refers to.

No url. Just a blank window. "Blank Page-Windows Internet Explorer", and the url box is "about;blank".

Had this at home last night, then when I got to work today as soon as I got here it pops up on this computer as well, despite anti-malware software.

Tried it on IE8 and Chromse, similar results.

Went to IE's Security tab and added forums.civfanatics.com to the Restricted Groups security zone. No more blank pages popping up.

EDIT--Whoops. Disregard last part. Fewer pop-ups, but a couple just happened when a link in the forums pages is clicked on.

EDIT II--OK, haven't had any more, and I've been through a few different subforums now. Some other IE user should try this and see what happens.

This happened to me to, just clicking in the text box of a PM triggered a blank page to load - each time I clicked, another blank page loaded. I couldn't load actually write anything. I logged out on IE and fired up Firefox where it happened again, but stopped after the first time. I thought this school computer had a virus until I saw this thread.

This is happening to me too, also running IE and as far as I am aware, fully patched up.
I've had similar problems to this when viewing CFC via Safari on my iPhone, but I attributed that to Safari being out of date and the inherent jankyness when viewing websites on a mobile.

Had this on multiple browsers, and it's just annoying, even if it is April Fools. Not saying this was done intentionally here, I would guess it's probably actual malware affecting the forum software and it would be perfectly common for random malware to trigger on April 1. Either way it's too frustrating, hope it's fixed soon.

I assumed it was an April Fool's prank. To add to what is known: It happens to me whenever I click anything. Moving around with tab doesn't open them. Every single one for me is an "about; blank" page. I am on a work computer so a fair bit of security. Interestingly I have no problems on the Hall of Fame site.

More info: Some sections seem unaffected, when I was in my profile I had no pop ups

Adding the site to the restricted sites zone has continued to prevent more pop-ups. However, I do have to log in way more often.

Like I said, more IE users should try this.

I am seeing this also (on Firefox). The blank window states I need to update my Flash player (which I don't) and is trying to direct me to the site update95 dot com. I can't find any information on this site.

I am seeing this also (on Firefox). The blank window states I need to update my Flash player (which I don't) and is trying to direct me to the site update95 dot com. I can't find any information on this site.

I got this on Firefox earlier.

I'm really having issues using the site on IE, though refreshing the page temporarily stops this issue (on that page only).

How do I add CFC to a restricted zone or whatever?

I am also getting this now and then. Using Firefox. Here is the url for the window:
http://update95.com/flash-player/in...a745371764b9714b122011d2fc01c&of=g-5-usa &p=[c4]&al=WARNING!%20Your%20Flash%20Player%20may%20be%20out%20of%20date.%20Please%20click%20to%20continue&fi=Upgrade

Edit: All of that above shows in the url window. That's probably obvious though.

I saw this as well a couple times today. This appeared not on the front page of the site but when clicking on the Community Forums link. I suspected this is malware, so I did not click on anything on the page, immediately closed it from the taskbar, and did a full deep virus scan on my computer. No viruses came up luckily. Either the site itself is infected or one of the ads contains malware. I use both Chrome and Firefox, but only saw it on Chrome.

On my Android, the problem isn't as frequent but it does happen and it loads a blank popup ad.

I'll bring this up in staff.

I get the "update flash" page now and again using opera. But it is not a serious issue.

Top Bottom