1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Window?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by bestbrian, Apr 1, 2013.

1. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

How come every time I click on the site now (to change a page, look at an image, heck, do anything) the site opens a new blank window? It's very annoying.

2. BobDole

BobDole American Leader in Civ VI

Might be full-page advertisements trying to load, because I got one or two of them, and I'm not getting them anywhere else...

3. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

It appears to be the ad banner opening a new window. Looks like malware masquerading as a Flash update.

First obnoxious audio, now popups. I don't think very highly of your ad provider, CFC.

4. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

I get this a lot too. It doesn't seem to be limited to the flash update thingie.

5. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Please either try to get a screen shot of the new window or post the entire url that the window refers to.

6. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

No url. Just a blank window. "Blank Page-Windows Internet Explorer", and the url box is "about;blank".

7. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

8. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Had this at home last night, then when I got to work today as soon as I got here it pops up on this computer as well, despite anti-malware software.

Tried it on IE8 and Chromse, similar results.

Went to IE's Security tab and added forums.civfanatics.com to the Restricted Groups security zone. No more blank pages popping up.

EDIT--Whoops. Disregard last part. Fewer pop-ups, but a couple just happened when a link in the forums pages is clicked on.

EDIT II--OK, haven't had any more, and I've been through a few different subforums now. Some other IE user should try this and see what happens.

9. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

This happened to me to, just clicking in the text box of a PM triggered a blank page to load - each time I clicked, another blank page loaded. I couldn't load actually write anything. I logged out on IE and fired up Firefox where it happened again, but stopped after the first time. I thought this school computer had a virus until I saw this thread.

10. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

This is happening to me too, also running IE and as far as I am aware, fully patched up.
    I've had similar problems to this when viewing CFC via Safari on my iPhone, but I attributed that to Safari being out of date and the inherent jankyness when viewing websites on a mobile.

11. Earthling

Earthling Deity

Had this on multiple browsers, and it's just annoying, even if it is April Fools. Not saying this was done intentionally here, I would guess it's probably actual malware affecting the forum software and it would be perfectly common for random malware to trigger on April 1. Either way it's too frustrating, hope it's fixed soon.

12. Xger

Xger Prince

I assumed it was an April Fool's prank. To add to what is known: It happens to me whenever I click anything. Moving around with tab doesn't open them. Every single one for me is an "about; blank" page. I am on a work computer so a fair bit of security. Interestingly I have no problems on the Hall of Fame site.

More info: Some sections seem unaffected, when I was in my profile I had no pop ups

13. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Adding the site to the restricted sites zone has continued to prevent more pop-ups. However, I do have to log in way more often.

Like I said, more IE users should try this.

14. Trystero

Trystero Deity

I am seeing this also (on Firefox). The blank window states I need to update my Flash player (which I don't) and is trying to direct me to the site update95 dot com. I can't find any information on this site.

15. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I got this on Firefox earlier.

I'm really having issues using the site on IE, though refreshing the page temporarily stops this issue (on that page only).

How do I add CFC to a restricted zone or whatever?

17. Thander

Thander Warlord

I saw this as well a couple times today. This appeared not on the front page of the site but when clicking on the Community Forums link. I suspected this is malware, so I did not click on anything on the page, immediately closed it from the taskbar, and did a full deep virus scan on my computer. No viruses came up luckily. Either the site itself is infected or one of the ads contains malware. I use both Chrome and Firefox, but only saw it on Chrome.

18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

On my Android, the problem isn't as frequent but it does happen and it loads a blank popup ad.

19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I'll bring this up in staff.

20. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I get the "update flash" page now and again using opera. But it is not a serious issue.