NFL Playoffs!!!!

I was watching that game and thought that Elway could have still played at least for 1 or 2 more seasons...He had amazing arm strength. Unfortunately for Peyton, the neck injuries he sustained have gradually diminished his ability to throw the football. Sure, he was great in 2012 and 2013, but starting last season, you could sense that he isn't playing at such a high level anymore...I think he's retiring whatever happens after the Super Bowl...or at least he should.

I'm pretty sure he is...and despite still having the arm Elway did the right thing. He was at an age where I'm sure Thursday or Friday was feeling like Monday morning did when he was young. Better to be an executive with the Broncos seventeen years later than a patient in a convalescent home.

I'm pretty sure he is...and despite still having the arm Elway did the right thing. He was at an age where I'm sure Thursday or Friday was feeling like Monday morning did when he was young. Better to be an executive with the Broncos seventeen years later than a patient in a convalescent home.
It's also a lot easier to ride into the sunset when a Superbowl victory where you are named the MVP is your last game. If Denver, beats Seattle in 2014, Peyton retires without question. Nobody wants to end their career on a 43-8 drubbing in the Superbowl.

I suspect that if they get blown out, Peyton will consider playing another season. If they lose a close game where he loses heroically battling to the last minute, that will be enough for him to retire with dignity, and he will do so almost immediately after the game.

I think even if they get blown out he is realistic enough about his situation and will retire. No point pouring any more good reputation down that well.

Not to mention Elway needs to make a decision: Osweiler's rookie contract runs out after this season and he seems to be the future of the franchise...Plenty of teams would jump at the chance of signing him if the Broncos decide to part ways with him...I don't think Brock would like to seat backup for another year, specially after he has proven that he can be a decent QB in the NFL...Also, Von Miller's contract runs out as well, so The Broncos need every dollar they can get to keep them both...Manning is taking $19 million of that salary cap...

Not to mention Elway needs to make a decision: Osweiler's rookie contract runs out after this season and he seems to be the future of the franchise...Plenty of teams would jump at the chance of signing him if the Broncos decide to part ways with him...I don't think Brock would like to seat backup for another year, specially after he has proven that he can be a decent QB in the NFL...Also, Von Miller's contract runs out as well, so The Broncos need every dollar they can get to keep them both...Manning is taking $19 million of that salary cap...

That's another point. Whether he retires or not he is done in Denver.

Well, if Manning is willing to take backup QB money maybe. But no way can Denver take a 19 million cap hit for him. Too many other people to pay. Osweiler is gonna get 12 million a year, at least, and Von Miller is a bank breaker if he doesn't give them a homer deal.

Well Elway knows how to monkey with salary caps so I'm sure he can figure it out.

In this scenario, Elway really doesn't have much incentive to play cap games. So I think
Peyton is done in Denver. Both due to what his cap hit would be, and also because I don't think Kubiak would have been brought in as coach unless Elway saw this as Peyton's last season in Denver. IMO Elway's going to go forward with Osweiler, and
he won't want to lose Miller.

Something that just occurred to me is that even if he gets blown out in the Superbowl, he got the consolation prize of getting the last laugh against Brady in the playoffs, so that allows him to go out on a high note regardless of the Superbowl.

As far as Elway cutting him goes... I just don't see Elway forcing out an aging HOF QB... I mean sure he's in the director's chair now, but this is still Elway we're talking about. But even if I am wrong, Peyton's not above playing the Farve-esque nomad... He's in the HOF regardless, so why not keep playing if he still loves to do it? Even at half-arm-strength, he's better than a ton of QB's starting in the league.

Something that just occurred to me is that even if he gets blown out in the Superbowl, he got the consolation prize of getting the last laugh against Brady in the playoffs, so that allows him to go out on a high note regardless of the Superbowl.

As far as Elway cutting him goes... I just don't see Elway forcing out an aging HOF QB... I mean sure he's in the director's chair now, but this is still Elway we're talking about. But even if I am wrong, Peyton's not above playing the Farve-esque nomad... He's in the HOF regardless, so why not keep playing if he still loves to do it? Even at half-arm-strength, he's better than a ton of QB's starting in the league.

Not quarterbacks that are starting for potential winners, and he has no incentive to go play for a loser.

I'll say it again even though I got laughed at last time...a gig as either QB coach or even offensive coordinator with the understanding that he is also the backup quarterback would be perfect for him. Even in Denver that would be a good spot if he wanted to do it.

I'll say it again even though I got laughed at last time...a gig as either QB coach or even offensive coordinator with the understanding that he is also the backup quarterback would be perfect for him. Even in Denver that would be a good spot if he wanted to do it.

Do NFL rules allow player/coaches? Even if so, I am not at all convinced Peyton
is coaching material. Given his willingness to do film work, I would say he has
potential as a GM. Possibly as part of buying the Titans with Bill Polian as has been
rumored.

Top Bottom