No Gandhi in Civilization 6?

Alex Khan

Chieftain
Undoubtedly, Gandhi was a good leader and iconic character of Civilization series.
But that's enough. He was present in every game Civilization .
Maybe they should bring other indian leaders like Ashoka (another peaceful indian leader) , Akbar, Chandragupta Maurya,Rajendra Chola I, Chandragupta II, Krishnadevaraya or Jawaharlal Nehru.

Pretty sure the biggest edge Gandhi has over all the people you mentioned is that he is well known figure worldwide, ie he is good for sales.

But the whole Leader Unique probably means we will get alternative leaders, which I suspect will come in a form of polls to gather attention and increase sales.

Gandhi has been hinted as being the leader but no confirmation yet

Undoubtedly, Gandhi was a good leader

1) He wasn't a leader of India
2) He wasn't an architect of Indian independence
3) He wasn't a nice person
4) His ideas were mostly horrible or fanatic
5) He is imo the most overrated person of 20th century and I despise him with a passion

http:// http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/07/the-real-mahatma-gandhi/308550/

Highlights of his life include ridiculous anti-black racism, admiration for Mussolini and, yes, Hitler, recommending capitulation vs Nazi Germany and suicide of all European Jews (to avoid holocaust), fanatic hostility against technological progress, education and industrialization, ruthless pursuit of power behind the mask, opposition against medicine (his abused wife died because he refused giving her vaccine... but when he got ill he immediately went into luxury hospital; he also had moments of general vaccine denial), he was sleeping naked with underage girls, was total abusive tyrant vs his entire family, and literally nothing of his ideology was ever implemented or succeeded (mostly for good because most of his ideas was idiotic, he wanted to turn India in a bunch of communal agricultural villages with no modernity). He also opposed sexuality in general, homosexuality and birth control.

What he was very good in was marketing and making pop star out of himself in the eyes of journalists. The day when I won't see him in the iteration of civ will be the glorious day.

+He also sucks as Indian leader in civ series, because he always warps this great civilisation into a ridiculous pacifist caricature which has nothing to do with how Indian subcontinent looked... well... ever in its history full of warfare and empires. This tired nuke makes India even more of a caricature overshadowed by popcultural mascot.

I expect Gandhi, but it could be Indira. They do have a thing for female leaders, after all. ;)

Ashoka would be the best choice. He was a skilled military and religious leader and could mostly fill Gandhi's peaceful shoes since in later years he regretted going to war very heavily and started making Buddhist temples everywhere.

Gandhi was never an Indian political leader so he's out. Akbar would be a great Mughal leader but I'm unsure if Indian players are ok with having a (foreigner) represent them. He was the leader of the Indians in Age of Empires III though, and certainly a capable leader.

Krajzen I'm with you, buddy. The day his face is not in the game is indeed a glorious day.

Moderator Action: Please be more careful with your language. Removed the offensive part to keep the forum family friendly.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I expect Gandhi, but it could be Indira. They do have a thing for female leaders, after all. ;)

I would love Indira Gandhi, although her personality would be very different from the Gandhi we're used to. Civ's Gandhi (who has been in since the beginning) does the zen calm thing until he gets nukes and goes power crazy. That's an interesting personality that stands out, which is what they're going for. If I had to pick, I'd pick Indira, but I think the same leader who has always been there remains the logical choice.

If it's Gandhi again I'm just gonna mod the game files and change the name to Asoka with a static leaderscreen.

I'm tired of Gandhi and this stupid running gag about nukes.

Anybody else would be satisfying.

Gandhi hasn't been confirmed and I remember an interview with Ed where the interviewer went on and on about Gandhi and he didn't elaborate on it, or maybe he just thought it wasn't time.

So I still hope it's Ashoka.

My three biggest hopes in the game were:

1. Victoria to be England's leader
2. Ashoka to be India's leader
3. Burma to be in the game

Wish 1 is fullfilled, I hope for the other two. :p

I know people who are happy with Ghandi, so I guess you will have to mod it.

Gandhi has at this point become a character of his own in the Civ-series. He's been around since the first game and has been part of countless jokes, stories, AARs and comics. By now he is an integral part of the series and he's always going to be the leader of India.

Each civ has uniques subdivided into part attributed to the civ and part to the leader. I think the question whether Gandhi is in or not as leader of India could be analyzed by looking at what kind of unique can be attributed to Gandhi. The other question then would be if this unique would feel immersive and integral to possible uniques attributed to India as civ.

Well I hope that civ 6 is the opportunity to get rid of those characters for the benefit of new faces.

The change is coming. :D

It would make my year to hear Gandhi was replaced by a proper Indian leader, but I'm not counting on it.

Top Bottom