NOTW XLVIII -- The DOOM Project, Episode II: The Orphans of Oblivion [Game Thread]

I decree that morale shall not improve.

Now, enough with the spam, jht is right.

I am more likely to believe that Agent Razor (Askthepizzaguy) is a Schizo Jester then a bumbling idiot at this time. The amount of spam posts, the revealing of a split personality "twin" and the sheer insanity... Well my money is on Jester. Whether you are a bumbling incompetent Jester that kills us through negative discretion or a Jester that is going to target us with a night time ability will be revealed in due time. If you are still a solid BLUFOR team member then you did well to bring it to everyone's attention straight away, I certainly doubt I would have the balls to do a move like that. How Negative is your Discretion? You will get +1 from this mission and hopefully the Black Market will have something for sale tomorrow that could help.

Only four agents are left AWOL, I'd like some more on the Tokyo mission now that we have a bumbling rookie apparently along for the ride.

Alpha Squad: CERN Mission (Priority)
  • Buddhafish (Romeo)
  • Optical (Cipher)
  • Ninjacow (Fox)
  • Robbiecon (Fang)
  • JoanK (Wolf)
  • SouthernKing (Felix)
  • Johnhughthom (python)

Beta Squad: Tokyo Mission
  • Ravus Sol (Ultra)
  • Visorslash (Ghost)
  • Zack (Spoon)
  • Spaceman (Dragon)
  • Classical Hero (Fortress)
  • Nintz (King)
  • Choxorn (Platinum)
  • BSmith1068 (Goose)
  • Askthepizzaguy (Razor)

Omega Squad: AWOL
  • dcmort93 (Patriot)
  • Mat93 (Saber)
  • Seon (Buffalo)
  • Takhisis (Scipio)

Hey everyone sorry I'm late to the party. Seeing as there isn't really anything to base a vote off of, I too will Vote: No Lynch. Also I shall be going to Tokyo.

Hold that thought.

The next AWOL operative to surface please commit yourself to CERN. The rest should commit to Tokyo. Spoon (Zack)'s 8/12 split seems like the best course of action for division of our forces.

move: CERN

vote: no lynch

I am more likely to believe that Agent Razor (Askthepizzaguy) is a Schizo Jester then a bumbling idiot at this time. The amount of spam posts, the revealing of a split personality "twin" and the sheer insanity... Well my money is on Jester. Whether you are a bumbling incompetent Jester that kills us through negative discretion or a Jester that is going to target us with a night time ability will be revealed in due time.

I'm not one to pull the experience card at the drop of a hat, because it's metagamey and unfair on folks who aren't as ancient as I am, but I feel this is relevant:

Of the games I've played, and there were well over 100 of them.... several years ago at this point, so I have no idea where I'm at now....

I have never seen a Jester with a murder ability. Nor one that scans specifically as mafia.

So that would be brand new. Not that it proves anything one way or the other, but you'll definitely have time to scan me if you wished to scan me, and I will scan as Opfor which I understand is the equivalent of our mafia faction. I won't be murdering at night because I have no such ability. A jester that scans as mafia would be overpowered. Honestly, an ordinary jester is a broken role in most games anyway. Several players have won simply by being as annoying and dickish as possible. You don't need any additional powers to win the game as jester. In most games, simply being a jester is as good as a 50% or better odds of victory. Be lynchbait and the scums won't murder you anyway.

At this point you can probably rule me out as anything but townie or straight up mafia. And I know that in time, people are going to eventually decide I might be scum and it's not worth the risk, because people have no self-control like that. And since I am honestly a low-usefulness team member, wouldn't be the end of the world if I got lynched. But it is a wasted lynch, and if we're going to waste one, it should be done sooner rather than later. If people have the testicular fortitude, they should just make a judgment call and stick with it. I'm not going to get any scummier or townier later. But I will get distracting-er later if people will lynch me instead of actual scum. Therefore it's bad play to leave me "for later". Either kill me or don't. That's why I claimed today since there are no other clear alternatives and you weren't going to lynch scum today anyway.

Now decide if that all is really a scum gambit. Because it's not one of my better ones.

And in case it's not clear, I think it's a waste of a turn to scan me to see if I do scan as Opfor. I simply do scan that way. If we were really concerned I was a Jester, then any town vigilante knows who to kill tonight. Scanning me is sillier.

So you can cross off Jester. That's just not possible here.

Askthepizzaguy --BLUFORCodenameRazor Tokyo
BSmith1068 --BLUFORCodenameGoose No Lynch Tokyo
Buddhafish --BLUFORCodenameRomeo No Lynch CERN
Choxorn --BLUFORCodenamePlatinum No Lynch Tokyo
classical_hero --BLUFORCodenameFortress No Lynch Tokyo
dcmort93 --BLUFORCodenamePatriot No Lynch Tokyo
JoanK --BLUFORCodenameWolf No Lynch CERN
johnhughthom --BLUFORCodenamePython No Lynch CERN
Mat93 --BLUFORCodenameSaber
NinjaCow64 --BLUFORCodenameFox No Lynch CERN
Nintz --BLUFORCodenameKing No Lynch Tokyo
Optical --BLUFORCodenameCipher No Lynch
Ravus_Sol --BLUFORCodenameUltra No Lynch Tokyo
robbiecon --BLUFORCodenameFang CERN
Seon --BLUFORCodenameBuffalo No Lynch CERN
SouthernKing --BLUFORCodenameFelix No Lynch CERN
Spaceman98 --BLUFORCodenameDragon No Lynch Tokyo
Takhisis --BLUFORCodenameScipio
Visorslash --BLUFORCodenameGhost No Lynch Tokyo
Zack --BLUFORCodenameSpoon No Lynch Tokyo

Approximately six hours left in the day.

Vote: No Lynch, I want my 10:1 from Razor ;)

Dresden Organization of Operative Mercenaries Headquarters
July 20, 2003
0900 Hours GMT

Backwards Logic closed the door as he left his office, heading towards his private elevator located a short distance away. He opened the doors with a press of a button and entered the lift quickly, tapping the floor of the Human Resources department on his way in. He liked this elevator -- it was quick, private, and always accessible; another perk of being the highest on the totem pole in the company. He had held this position since arriving here in 1997, and hoped to not have to relinquish it for many years to come.

The elevator proceeded downward with remarkable acceleration, traversing a dozen floors in only a few seconds. As the door opened, the two guards at the entrance to the department saluted and stepped forward. Backwards Logic waved them off and nodded as they authorized the retina scan to open the doorway.

Backwards Logic proceeded quickly through the entrance and towards the office of the chief corporate recruiter. In his hands he held a manila envelope full of classified documents of particular interest to the corporation.

The recruiter greeted him as he entered the office. After making a light series of pleasantries, Backwards Logic popped the folder onto the recruiter's desk. "Get an offer together for them as soon as possible."

The recruiter opened the envelope and skimmed the documents, which were portfolios of various individuals who showed extraordinary talent as soldiers and operatives in the field. Each candidate was labelled with a short code name, for example: Visorslash, Ninjacow, dcmort93, and choxorn. Each one had a short profile associated with them:

Name: Buddhafish
Origin: Ireland

Experience:
-Angola
-Congo
-South Africa
-Somalia
-Cuba
-Syria
-Cambodia
-Laos
-Serbia
-France
-Italy
-Germany
-Mexico
-Greece
-Russia
-Venezuela
-Lebanon
-Libya

and details pertaining to their past accomplishments.

The recruiter, apparently pleased with these individuals, began to place the folder on his stack of papers, but Backwards Logic interrupted, "Give these candidates top priority, effective immediately."

The recruiter nodded and turned to his computer to authorize the effort.

Askthepizzaguy --BLUFORCodenameRazor Tokyo
BSmith1068 --BLUFORCodenameGoose No Lynch Tokyo
Buddhafish --BLUFORCodenameRomeo No Lynch CERN
Choxorn --BLUFORCodenamePlatinum No Lynch Tokyo
classical_hero --BLUFORCodenameFortress No Lynch Tokyo
dcmort93 --BLUFORCodenamePatriot No Lynch Tokyo
JoanK --BLUFORCodenameWolf No Lynch CERN
johnhughthom --BLUFORCodenamePython No Lynch CERN
Mat93 --BLUFORCodenameSaber No Lynch Tokyo
NinjaCow64 --BLUFORCodenameFox No Lynch CERN
Nintz --BLUFORCodenameKing No Lynch Tokyo
Optical --BLUFORCodenameCipher No Lynch CERN
Ravus_Sol --BLUFORCodenameUltra No Lynch Tokyo
robbiecon --BLUFORCodenameFang No Lynch CERN
Seon --BLUFORCodenameBuffalo No Lynch CERN
SouthernKing --BLUFORCodenameFelix No Lynch CERN
Spaceman98 --BLUFORCodenameDragon No Lynch Tokyo
Takhisis --BLUFORCodenameScipio None*
Visorslash --BLUFORCodenameGhost No Lynch Tokyo
Zack --BLUFORCodenameSpoon No Lynch Tokyo
* = Moves to safehouse.

Day 1 has ended.
No one was Lynched.
Night 1 has begun.
Send in Night orders if applicable.
Maintain strict radio silence until daybreak.​

Night ends 2100 Hours June 18, 2013. Timer to be added as soon as possible.

Akiruno, Japan
December 23, 2014
2200 Hours Local Time

Three Suburban trucks turned into the side alley and parked against the warehouse wall in a line. The operatives emerged and proceeded towards the rear of the vehicles. They popped open the trunks and silently armed themselves with the weapons stored within each car, cocking their firearms and checking their magazines one last time before their mission insertion.

"You sure this is the place?" JoanK muttered into his earpiece, having already loaded his M110 SASS.

"We triangulated one of the victim's cell phone locations to this address," Spaceman98 responded. "This is the best place to start."

"A professional wouldn't let the victim keep his cell phone," BSmith1068 said. "Could be a trap."

"Or," Ninjacow added, cocking his Benelli M4, "our kidnapper isn't in a clear state of mind."

"Rules of engagement?" asked JoanK.

"Be ready to shoot."

The team proceeded into the warehouse, turning on their Nightvision and infrared goggles as they did so. It was devoid of life, though the room was filled with crates sorted into rows with narrow walking paths between them.

"Signal is coming from the far side -- appears to be an office."

"We shouldn't miss them -- there have been nine victims in all; two in the last week."

The squad advanced forward in tactical formation, covering every possible angle of attack. The city noises outside were dampened somewhat by the warehouse walls, creating a soft barrier of silence between the team and the outside world.

Geneva, Switzerland
December 23, 2014
0900 Hours Local Time

The assistant administrator pulled his Renault into the open parking space, unbuckling his seat belt as he did so. He shifted the car into park and shut off the engine, removing the keys and grabbing his wallet and nametag as he did so. After a quick glance in the mirror to check his hair, he opened the car door and stepped into the parking garage.

It was then that he was immediately hit by the tranquilizer dart, sending him collapsing to the floor.

Choxorn emerged from his position behind another vehicle and quickly checked the man's pockets. He removed the administrator's wallet, indentification, and cell phone, and then bound the man's wrists together with tape. He covered the man's mouth in tape for good measure, then placed his unconscious body on the back floor of the car, and turned to enter the main building.

"I'm in," Choxorn whispered into his earpiece.

Optical replied, "I'm in the bathroom adjacent to the lobby. I'll meet you there."

Before entering the main building, Choxorn checked the identification information he had just acquired. "Seon, could you give me a location of this guy's office?"

"Floor 6, around the corner from the elevator," Seon replied over the radio. "Give me one second to get his computer password..." The cyber security of CERN posed no problem to him, even with his less than stellar hardware in Mosul. "Password is vm@4590. No caps."

"Thank you," Choxorn replied as he entered the main lobby. He spotted Optical in the corner of the room, and the pair nodded to one another. They both entered the elevator and proceeded to the sixth floor.

"Once you're on the computer, I can give you access to the VPN. I can't get in there myself though due to their setup," Seon added.

"How long should the tranquilizers last?" asked Optical.

"Only a few minutes more." Choxorn answered.

The squad reached the warehouse office door and braced against the adjacent wall, preparing to breach the room.

"On my signal," Ninjacow ordered. Before he could provide one, however, a crash of metal echoed throughout the warehouse as a pile of material collapsed onto the floor. The shock of the piercing noise caused each of the operatives to twist into a new position, covering the firing lanes of the walkways in the warehouse.

"We've got hostiles," JoanK muttered.

"If they had guns, they would've shot by now," spaceman98 observed.

"Something tells me it doesn't have guns, whatever it is." Feeling a need for urgency, Buddhafish added, "We need to get into a better position. Cover me." He turned and opened the door, revealing a small room cluttered with antiquated office equipment.

In the corner sat two individuals, their backs hunched against the far wall. They say motionless, even as the operatives entered the room. After clearing each of the corners, the team approached the victims, their weapons still aimed at the victims' heads.

Ninjacow shined his strobe light onto the individuals' faces. They did not respond.

Spaceman98 knelt besides one of the victims and pulled a pocket flashlight out from his combat vest. "Give me some time, I--"

Before he could finish, there was another loud crash from the far side of the warehouse. "We've got bogies!" BSmith announced, cocking his gun. "I saw them with the infrared."

"I've seen this before," spaceman98 repeated. "Back in Somalia in '04. They're becoming spawn."

"Spawn? Of what?"

"Not a vampire, but close. We never got the examine the evidence. The bogie escaped before we could contain it."

"Can you cure them?"

"I can try, but--" A tremendous roar interrupted him, echoing from the other side of the warehouse. A pattering noise, like talons against metal, resounded throughout the building as numerous bogies advanced towards the small office room.

"Spaceman, are these victims a threat?" JoanK asked, yelling over the noise of the converging monsters.

"Well, they will be, but I can help them, if--"

Before spaceman98 could finish, JoanK drew his pistol and fired twice, putting a bullet in each of the victims' heads.

"Are you out of your fǔcking mind? Our contract said--"

"Incoming!" Ninjacow screamed as a monster charged into view, growling with an animalistic ferocity.

Choxorn entered the small corporate office and immediately logged into the computer, entering the password provided by Seon.

"I've given you access. Make it quick though, the sedative is about to wear off..."

Ninjacow was the first to open fire. Shooting from the hip, he struck the monster in the chest with his first shot, then fired a second one through the creature's head.

"That's a spawn," spaceman98 remarked as he loaded his weapon. "Keep a look out for the big one."

Three more spawn lept towards the group, charging from all three angles towards the office door. BSmith1068 headshot the first of the monsters, but the second one tackled him to the ground as it bore through the doorway. JoanK hesitated to shoot the creature -- not wanting to hit BSmith1068 by accident -- and instead swung his rifle like a golf club, knocking the monster off BSmith.

The third one jumped towards JoanK but was intercepted by spaceman98, who fired a chain of shots into the creature's chest.

After a brief second of silence, there was a massive crash as a new monster charged through the office walls, slamming straight into spaceman98. This one was larger and stronger than the others, armed with a grisly array of teeth and claws. This attack was supported by three more spawn charging towards the doorway once more.

Spaceman98 rolled away as the monster attempted to pin him to the ground. Grabbing hold of a nearby piece of debris, he struck the enemy in the head, sending it stumbling backwards.

BSmith1068 switched to automatic fire and sprayed the doorway with bullets, maiming the first bogie charging in. The second managed to enter the room, only to have its head explore by Ninjacow's shotgun blast. The third creature bolted past Ninjacow as he cocked his weapon, but it was maimed by Buddhafish as he shot the creature clear through its thigh. Buddhafish followed this with an execution style blast to its head.

The largest monster, staggered by spaceman98's melee slam, stumbled against the nearby desk, sending materials flying in all directions. Ninjacow turned to shoot this monster, but before he could do so the creature grabbed a chair and wielded it like a giant club, knocking Ninjacow and JoanK to the ground with a mighty spin.

The creature turned to finish them off. Spaceman98 sat up and, drawing his sidearm as the creature prepared to attack, fired two bullets into the monster's kneecaps, sending it rolling to the ground with a roar of pain.

Immediately, Buddhafish turned and fired a dozen bullets into the monster's chest, finishing it off.

JoanK sat up and, taking stock of the situation, remarked, "Nine spawn, nine kidnapped victims. I guess we know what happened to them."

Seon's voice then transmitted through each operatives' radio. "Whose idea was it to open fire with automatic weapons in one of the most densely populated urban areas in the world?"

"Don't lecture us," Buddhafish responded. "We were attacked, and--"

"I don't give a damn who you shot. The Tokyo police, however, might. You've got law enforcement inbound! Get out of there!"

"How much longer?" Choxorn asked impatiently. "The tranquilizer wore off several minutes ago."

"Downloading the data now," Seon answered. Optical paced the office tensely, awaiting the order to get to evac. "It appears that CERN hasn't heard of our legendary Fusion Stabilizer either; remarkably enough, though, I've searched through employee emails and found some that mention such a piece of equipment. They revolve around a Dr. Vincent Barot, a leading physicist in CERN. I'd tell you where his office is, but apparently he hasn't been in for several weeks now, and he hasn't mentioned why officially.

"I've also discovered where we may find the necessary Neutron Inducer, though you may not like where it leads us. And--we--are--done. Get the hell outta there."

Choxorn and Optical left the room, walking briskly towards the elevator. He spoke into the radio, "Mat93, is evac ready?"

"I'm pulling up to the entrance now," Mat93 responded. "Get out here quick though. It looks like the authorities have been called in. Your tranquilizer didn't last as long as you'd like, I suspect."

December 8, 2014
Dr. Barot,

Thank you for responding to our notice concerning the stabilization technique. Your expertise in this regard would go a long way for the technology to be implemented in a timely fashion. Important details regarding our meeting have been sent to your home address in Monaco.

Thank you.

December 9, 2014
To whom it may concern,

I fear I must take a temporary leave of absence from my post in the research department. Naturally, I do not wish to leave the group short handed, nor do I have selfish intentions at heart. I've received reports of a new theory of fusion stabilization that may help our fusion power project may immediate leaps and bounds towards the construction of a stable fusion core. I would explain in more detail, but I am currently outside of the loop and must meet my contacts in person in order to decipher what they have researched.

I will inform you when I have uncovered more details in regards to this.

Dr. Barot

Jillian,

You were right about Moscow, it was frigid! I don't understand how anyone could live there year round.

Anyways, I help them out with the integration of the neutron inducer into their power generator. It seems the issues they were having were of a minor technical concern. They did appreciate my help, however.

Maybe this means I'll be tapped for future operations at the JINR.

Regards,
Peter

End of Night 1.

The Missions at CERN and Tokyo were successful!

However, these missions did not come without cost: during the Night, spaceman98 was arrested!

Spoiler :
He was a member of the BLUFOR team. He was represented by the character Daveshack.

The following Mission Locations are available for movement orders:

Blackwater Corporation
North Carolina, United States
Discretion Required: Very High (too high to estimate)
Wanted Level Increase: High
Reward: Superconductor
Notes: The Blackwater Corporation has acquired a Superconductor which they are utilizing for railgun research. There is no rush to infiltrate the corporation -- the Superconductor won't be going anywhere -- and perhaps it may be best to acquire more equipment before travelling here.

JINR Infiltration
Moscow, Russia
Discretion Required: Moderate (~10+)
Wanted Level Increase: Moderate
Reward: Objectives Related Information, and each Operative will receive: 3 Credits.
Notes: A Neutron Inducer that will serve our purpose has been discovered in Russia. It passed through the JINR not long ago. Finding it should not be difficult.

Barot House
Monaco, Monaco
Discretion Required: Minimal (~2+)
Wanted Level Increase: Minimal
Reward: Objectives Related Information, and each Operative will receive: 3 Credits.
Notes: Dr. Barot has dropped off the grid. He seems to know something about the Fusion Stabilizer we seek. The best place to start looking for him would be his residence.

Sightings Investigation
Bogota, Columbia
Discretion Required: Low (~5+)
Wanted Level Increase: Low
Reward: Each Operative will receive: 5 Credits.
Notes: There have been reports of strange sightings of an unidentified creature stalking the Night. Our client wants us to investigate and return with any meaningful data before local authorities step in.
This Mission is not Objectives Related.

The Safehouse
Mosul, Iraq
The "abstain" option, the equivalent of choosing not to go on any Mission.

There are two items for sale on the Black Market:

Spoiler :
Boot Knife: +1 Strength. Cost: 3 Credits. This item will be sold to any player who buys it (not as an auction).

SCUBA Rebreather: +4 Discretion during Aquatic Mission(s). Cost: 4 Credits. This item will be sold to any player who buys it (not as an auction). You'll know when you need it.

The Squad's Wanted Level is: Low.

Vote to Lynch a Player in Bold.
Provide a Movement Destination in Green.​

Housekeeping remarks: Keep in mind that things that have been posted may be subject to change in the next few hours.

Top Bottom