[NFP] November Update Video

Personally I'd be glad if Bablyon's unique building is a water mill, since there are no unique water mills in the game. I'd love if each building had at least one unique variant. Well, except the buildings that come too late to make much of an effect by being unique. Even America's film studio comes, IMO, very late for a unique.

I wonder what else is missing. There are no unique monuments (except the secret societies one) or granaries either. A granary could have been used for any mesopotamian civilization just as easily, it could be a brewery or something along those lines. Trajan getting a free monument is close...

So Babylonian UA seems to provide a tech after fulfilling eureka requirements but somehow decreases science output?
BTW. their UU:

Sorry if someone has already posted it.
Ancient era units: range (no), melee (no), anticav (no), heavy cavalry (no). So we have a light cavalry UU left for them.

Or it replaces nothing.

I think they didn't want to show they UI. I doubt it will be a unique Campus replacement because we already have two (Seowon and Observatory), but most probably a unique library.

The Campus has been MIA in most screenshots. The only one i saw was when they showcased the new tile improvements (which looked very much like a generic campus to me). If that city belonged to Babylon, they won't have a unique Campus nor a unique Library.

We dont know if what we saw was a babylonian city.We can,however, rule out an unique library because we saw them research Writig and the generic library icon showed there.

Ancient era units: range (no), melee (no), anticav (no), heavy cavalry (no). So we have a light cavalry UU left for them.

Screams Horse Archer to me, to be honest
Screams Assyria to me, to be honest. :eyeroll:

Also I'd like to say due to the current era and GP mechanism you almost never have an atomic or later GP. (For they cost at least 2455 GP point which is unacceptable)

Adding such GPs does nothing.
I mean I don't think anyone should or would be shocked if, with all the great people emphasis in the patch, they reworked the GPP numbers.

At 1:17 in the video we can see the selection screen for Heroes and Legends mode

It looks like the pictures on the left are the pictures of heroes in the mode

The one on the middle right in this picture. If I'm right that's the hero we haven't worked out who it is yet

Last edited:
Leugi (over on a Discord) has identified what appears to be a unique Water Mill potentially (south of the city, next to the farm):

View attachment 574783

Might be so :thumbsup:. If you look at the CS UI screenshot, assuming that is a Babylonian city, you can glimpse the same building seems to appear behind the leftmost skyscrapper. (Just ignore the circles. Feeling lazy today, I got the screenshot from @Wielki Hegemon post where he was showing the city-state UI)

Spoiler Edit :

ok, I'm getting the job actually well done and pointing out the building :)
Babylon UI.png

Last edited:
If Greece gets two heroes, I think it's fair for China to get two. I would have preferred they spread it around more, though. Not having Rama or some other Indian hero is weird. Eastern Europe seems to be another empty slot, though I'm not familiar enough with Slavic mythology to suggest anyone.
As for Slavic (polish) heroes:
Twardowski, Baba Jaga, Piast Kołodziej, Waligóra and Wyrwidąb.
If you are interested there was a series of polish legends short videos (modernized versions on YT) with English subtitles.

A unique water mill, really? Irrigation networks really weren’t that unique by the time of the Babylonian Empire, and I feel like a focus like that should be reserved for an Indus Valley civilisation if we ever got one (which is admittedly unlikely).

It’s just so generic for the time period. Maybe it would be too predictable, but I would have preferred a library or ancient walls replacement, because at least those would be justifiable.

The Heroes and Legends mode is very interesting. Forget the other fantasy modes the NFP has, this mode is more appropriate for Civ than the others.

Also I can't wait for the new city-states and great people. Finally an announcement that's worthwhile.

It also unlocked Bronze Working, at turn 19 with 1.5 Science per turn. They need to gather:
  • ~17.5 Science into Pottery (5 turns remaining)
  • 25 Science for Animal Husbandry (completed?)
    • At least 30 Science for Archery
  • 25 Science in Mining (completed: the Builder can put a Mine on a Hill).
    • At least 48 Science for Bronze Working
In total: 145.5 Science.With 1.5 Science per turn at Turn 19, they would not reach even reach 30 total Science. This not even enough for Pottery, Animal Husbandry and Mining combined (~67.5 Science). Which means they either get luck and got some free tech in a Tribal Village, or we need to analyze more.

I am redoing the Maths: at 1:38 we can see the Babylonian are researching Engineering at turn 38 with 2.5 Science per turn, with ~10% completed and 59 turns remaining.

Engineering cost is 200 Science, +10% due to be classical technology while the world era is ancient, so 220 Science. If they need 59 × 2.5 = 147.5 Science to complete it, they should have completed 72.5 Science yet... which is far more than 10%! This is more 33%! Which means they are playing at Quick Speed.
At Quick Speed, the Science cost drops to 220 × 0.75 = 165 Science. If 147.5 Science need to be done to do this, this means 17.5 Science was poured in the Technology which is ~10.6%. They are definitely playing at Quick Speed.

Unlocking Engineering need to unlock the Wheel (80 × 0.75 = 60 Science) and Mining (25 × 0.75 = 18.75 Science). No way they could cumulate 88.75 Science, not including Bronze Working (Encampment) and Mining (we can see a Mine). They seems to be able to complete a Settler because they have a second city in the South.

• Pottery's cost: 18.75 Science. Done: ~11.25 Science.
  • Animal Husbandry's cost: 18.75 Science. Done?
    • Archery's cost: 37.5 Science. At least 22.5 Science with standard Eureka.
  • Mining's cost: 18.75. It is done (Builder can put a Mine on a Hill).
    • Bronze Working's cost: 60 Science. At least 36 Science with standard Eureka.
In total: 106.25 Science. What they could have: 1.5 × 19 = 28.5, more or less with a city at 1 Population at start, or if they completed a Settlers, dropping the Population.

Theory: Eureka grants the Technology. Which means:
  • No need to have Animal Husbandry be completed for Archery.
  • If so, they only need Mining completed (18.75 Science) and the Pottery one (11.25), so 30 Science. Which seems to fit.
I guess they do have a Eureka grants Technology. Maybe it is limited to the world current era and can't have all technologies with the Eureka. I don't think they are researching Engineering at random: could we have the Walls of Babylon in this game?

New mode sounds fun. I wonder if Gilgamesh will get an ability tweak in the game mode like Tamar in Dramatic Ages since it seems pretty thematic to him.
I'd be all for a mythology civ spinoff. Can never have enough 4x games in your life :)

I'm glad. If I may, can I ask if we're getting more African or Native/Latin American or Southeast Asian great people? :crazyeye:

I can't reveal anything that's not revealed via the videos. I can only say that I see that as a personal goal and, as an academic whose work is focused on the non-West, I have made a lot of efforts to include figures from outside of the traditional focal points (e.g. USA, Europe, and also Middle East, East Asia, South Asia). I hope that you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's been a real pleasure to work on this stuff.

Mulan (hopefully the animated version cause the remake is terrible)

There's more Mulans than just those! The Ballad of Mulan dates from the 5th century/ Northern Wei period, though it's a very different story!

Can Voidsinger's Obelisk hold heroic works? Or can they even recruit heroes given they don't have monuments?

It seems that hero mode is a giant nerf to Voidsingers?

No one has any more information about it than you do.

I can't imagine the Old God monument wouldn't be fully compatible. They've emphasized that all modes work together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom