Now that the saga is complete, which is your fave Star Wars movie?

Which Star Wars movie?

• Total voters
Pasi Nurminen said:
Anakin is shallow. He turns to the dark side, slaughters children, denies himself a lifetime of hard work and discipline, and ultimately participates in the murder of millions of people simply because he had a bad dream. He allows Palpatine to convince him to join the Dark Side because of a 20 second dream sequence. For God's sake, somebody get this man a nightlight and a teddy bear!

Oh, and then he tries to kill Padme at the end of the movie, which renders the entire point of him turning to the Dark side in the first place (that is, to save her from a vague and uncertain death) completely moot.

The last time Anakin had a bad dream, he saw the death of his mother. Following the advice of the Jedi, he ignored his dreams and when he finally acted, it was too late and he watches his mother die, exactly as he foresaw. So it’s not just a bad dream he had about Padme, it was a vision of the future and Anakin was convinced that it would become real unless he did something about it. It’s really great and ironic when it turns out that his attempts to save Padme ultimately lead to her death.

But despite that, what it all boils down to is power, not Padme. From ATOC onwards, what Anakin really wants is power and when Palpatine offers him an excuse to turn to the dark side; he takes it for the power. “I’m saving Padme”, “the Jedi are corrupt”, “I’m defending the Republic” these are just excuses Anakin tells himself to justify his actions to himself, because he won’t admit to himself that he’s only in it for the power. He gives in to his emotions - greed and lust for power, all the while trying to tell himself he’s doing the right thing for the right reasons, even though he knows deep down that he is not. As Obi-Wan says, he “allowed the dark lord to twist his mind until he became the very thing that he swore to destroy”.

Notice that when Anakin is giving his little speech after he chokes Padme - “I have brought peace, justice and security to the galaxy” etc, Obi-Wan is the one checking if Padme is alright, not Anakin.

Basically Anakin takes the power but becomes a moral wreck in the process - that is the danger of the dark side. Its very similar to the One Ring in LOTR.

Then in the OT Luke demonstrates to Anakin just what it really means to be a Jedi, and Anakin finally accepts the error of his ways and finally performs a truly selfless act. That’s pretty deep for what is mainly a big fun space fantasy.

And then there's the Jedi council, men who are able to sense subtle emotions in other people, but somehow manage to miss a conspiracy involving the entire Republican army and the destruction of democracy in the entire galaxy

Does Lucas expect that to fly with us?

To quote Yoda: “Hard to see, the future is. The dark side clouds everything…our ability to use the force has dimininished”

This is fairly arbitrary, but it’s good enough to not count as a plot hole. It is also consistent with ROTJ, where the resurging light side of the force impaired Palpatine’s ability to see the future.

I can’t resist adding this last point as an example of the great visuals in SW. At the end of ROTS when Obi-Wan tells Anakin that “Palpatine is evil” he is holding his lightsaber close to his face and the blue glow lights up his face, however a second later when he yells to Anakin “you are lost!” his lighsaber is at his side and his face is not lit up. The prequels are full of great little touches like this that make them just that little bit better. :D

Edit: Just a quick edit becuase I didn't directly answer this in the post already: Anakin chokes Padme becuase she disaproves of his turn to the dark side and Anakin feels betrayed and angry at her.

I thought empire strikes back was pretty good. The series deserves merit just for Vader and Luke Skywalker (before Vader was ruined by the episodes I,II,III)

Both Vader and Skywalker would be on anyones top ten (and in many cases top five) list of villain and hero. Anyone who isn't one of those "dislike the mainstream thing to seem like a cool freethinking nonconformist" that is, but who gives a flying crap about their stupid opinions anyways.

The empire strikes back.

I cannot take Vader seriously anymore. Watching Hayden Christensen playing Vader is like watching a midget get hit with a pie and then listen to his speech about how he's gonna get back at us, all the while he's swinging away and all your doing is holding him by his head

Esckey said:
I cannot take Vader seriously anymore. Watching Hayden Christensen playing Vader is like watching a midget get hit with a pie and then listen to his speech about how he's gonna get back at us, all the while he's swinging away and all your doing is holding him by his head

Yeah that's what I mean when I say that episodes I-III ruined Vader sortof.

ESB JUST scrapes top, but the original trilogy were just superb...

And has anyone else noticed that the older films, have a "rawer" feel to it? Perhaps due to the equipment used? (Not as crisp and not as good "quality").

Yeah the OT equipment looks grittier than the PT stuff. I like the OT look better, especially for the space ships.

Return of the Jedi is probably my favorite, followed closely by the Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith.

Lozzy_Ozzy said:
And has anyone else noticed that the older films, have a "rawer" feel to it? Perhaps due to the equipment used? (Not as crisp and not as good "quality").

I kind of like it that way....makes it look 'better' (if you know what I mean)

Eposide 1- dissapontment Eposide 2- little better but still not that great Eposide 4- the worst of them all Eposide 5- It's good, I like it Eposide 6- I love the battles on endor but it's still not as good as:

Eposide 3- It has everything, Extreme battles in fact it even starts with a fight!, a little romance on the side, It's kinda dark, and it has the best jedi duel of them all!

Royal said:
I kind of like it that way....makes it look 'better' (if you know what I mean)

Oh definately. I think a lot of movies today are missing that "raw" feel to them. Now it's all polished and sharp and contrast images, which gives the impression that the movie makers really didn't put that much effort into it and let a computer do most of the work.

leonel said:
Oh definately. I think a lot of movies today are missing that "raw" feel to them. Now it's all polished and sharp and contrast images, which gives the impression that the movie makers really didn't put that much effort into it and let a computer do most of the work.

I agree too, and it seems like computer games are the same way.

for example, I thought that the Baldur's Gate series had better graphics than any game I've ever seen, xbox360 screenshots and all that included.

Chris85 said:
1. Return of the Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Attack of the Clones
5. A New Hope
6. The Phantom Menace

More like this.

1. Return of the Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. A New Hope