Now that the saga is complete, which is your fave Star Wars movie?

Which Star Wars movie?

• Total voters
nonconformist said:
All equally crap, So I'll go for The Return of the Jedi purely for the incestuous undertones.

If incest is your thing, you should have voted ESB, Luke and Leia share a kiss and it ain't no peck on the cheek either :groucho:

They all sucked.

Answer: They all phatetic compared to KOTOR (Knights of the old republic). Most of the characters are boring (For example, Bastila is ten times more interesting than Leia), while in KOTOR they are interesting. Voice acting in KOTOR is better than acting in Ep.III. The main droid character in KOTOR, or the HK-47 is much better than the 3CPO. Most importantly story-line in KOTOR is fascinating.

While 3CPO is a childish, stupid protcol droid, HK47 is a sadistic assassination droid, the quote in my sig is his definition of love, the best so far.

Statement:I concur.

luiz said:
SW may be fun to watch, but I just don't understand why so many people like it so much and take it so seriously. Let's face it - the plot sucks, the characters suck and the dialogues are unqualifiable.

Star Wars has as much depth as Rambo or some Chuck Norris movie.

Its clearly not high art, but SW certainly has more depth than your average pop-corn flick. The visuals in the PT especially are carefully constructed - TPM is blue, AOTC is orange, and ROTS is red. You don't have to look very hard to find lots of nice visual metaphors and other such coolness in the SW prequels.

Visual metaphors do not compensate for the massive, gaping, Grand-Canyon-esque plot holes, extremely shallow characters, and the poor dialogue. Besides, special effects just aren't special when they're in every single scene. Did Lucas really need to make the entire movie just actors (and I use the term loosely) in front of a greenscreen?

I always viewed Star Wars as an Western set in space. At least as far as the good parts of Star Wars are concerned. The movies would have been so much better if they had concentrated on the Han Solo plot instead of the Luke/Jedi thing.

Till said:
The movies would have been so much better if they had concentrated on the Han Solo plot instead of the Luke/Jedi thing.
I agree.
And let's not even get into that Anakin/Amidala love affair of the new episodes. It produced some of the most ridiculous moments in the history of cinema.

I heard Episode 2 centered around the love affair, which is the reason why i didn't watch it. But Episode 3 had more than enough of it to make me feel embarrassed for the actors. One dialouge still haunts me now and then...
paraphrased script said:
Darth Vader: You are so beautiful!
Padme: It is only because I'm so in love with you.
Darth Vader: No. It is because I'm so in love with you.
:cringe:

Pasi Nurminen said:
Visual metaphors do not compensate for the massive, gaping, Grand-Canyon-esque plot holes, extremely shallow characters, and the poor dialogue. Besides, special effects just aren't special when they're in every single scene. Did Lucas really need to make the entire movie just actors (and I use the term loosely) in front of a greenscreen?

This is hard for me...but I agree 100% with my widely leftwing Canadian brother.

It doesn't matter how you spin these films. They perfectly represent what is wrong with modern cinema.

Cheesy dialogue has always been part of what makes Star Wars great. A matter of taste I suppose. :D

IMHO special effects are no problem. CGI allows us to see things on screen that we could only dream of before. Its really not that different to using a miniature or even a costume; its just another part of the illusion. It does make the actors job harder, but not to a film-ruining level.

As for shallow characters; depends on the character. Anakin is certainly not shallow. The characters in ANH are all a bit shallow, mainly becuase ANH was made as a stand alone movie, not part of the whole saga. But still they more than deep enough for what is essentially meant to be a fantasy adventure story.

@Robopig: the story is complete as-is, their are not going to be any more episodes. :)

As for shallow characters; depends on the character. Anakin is certainly not shallow. The characters in ANH are all a bit shallow, mainly becuase ANH was made as a stand alone movie, not part of the whole saga. But still they more than deep enough for what is essentially meant to be a fantasy adventure story.

Agreed.

Also I loved the fish admiral from RotJ :cool:

Darth_Pugwash said:
@Robopig: the story is complete as-is, their are not going to be any more episodes. :)
no, episode 7-9 is about luke's kid(s?). though lucas might cancel them to make other movies.

RoboPig said:
no, episode 7-9 is about luke's kid(s?). though lucas might cancel them to make other movies.

Aren't there books about it????

Yeah there are EU books that speculate on post-ROTJ events.

Lucas was gonna make 9 movies but at some point along the line he shortened it down to 6. Episodes 1-6 have all the story that GL wanted to tell in them, it was always going to end with Vader turning back to the light side so your not missing out on anything. The rest is up to your imagination. :D

A New Hope.

The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith all sucked.

Darth_Pugwash said:
Cheesy dialogue has always been part of what makes Star Wars great. A matter of taste I suppose. :D

IMHO special effects are no problem. CGI allows us to see things on screen that we could only dream of before. Its really not that different to using a miniature or even a costume; its just another part of the illusion. It does make the actors job harder, but not to a film-ruining level.

Anakin is shallow. He turns to the dark side, slaughters children, denies himself a lifetime of hard work and discipline, and ultimately participates in the murder of millions of people simply because he had a bad dream. He allows Palpatine to convince him to join the Dark Side because of a 20 second dream sequence. For God's sake, somebody get this man a nightlight and a teddy bear!

And then there's the Jedi council, men who are able to sense subtle emotions in other people, but somehow manage to miss a conspiracy involving the entire Republican army and the destruction of democracy in the entire galaxy.

Oh, and then he tries to kill Padme at the end of the movie, which renders the entire point of him turning to the Dark side in the first place (that is, to save her from a vague and uncertain death) completely moot.

Does Lucas expect that to fly with us?

Top Bottom