1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Off Topic reorganization

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ori, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

You mean, basically dead?

Great, another thing to be bitter about.

2. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

Indeed, just blame the mods for everything. :goodjob:

Dead forums? Mods are supposed to bring in the traffic, and create content!

Maintain the status quo? Mods are old fossils who can't change with the times and adapt to new forum dynamics!

Experiment with new ways of doing things? If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Letting the trolls run loose? The mods are supposed to do something about it (never mind that everyone always think the other guy is the troll, and everyone's troll list is different)!

Good times. :)

3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Four trolls good, two trolls better. Having half the trolling around is surely an improvement :goodjob:

Besides, i think TF cares about the fact that people have been driven away from this forum specifically because they were being trolled. Better to kick out the trolls, than any decent folk ;)

4. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

You'll find that different posters want different things. It's not just one guy saying all those things you know. It's almost as if different people have different opinions about how things should be done :wow:

5. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Where are my socks you bastards!

6. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Once you hit less posts per days than moderators, you can consider some layoffs.

7. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

:rotfl:

Oops! I´m in the Debating Chamber... :shifty:

8. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Nobody's saying that. People are providing examples why scattering the community doesn't work. You either don't get what people are talking about, or deliberately don't engage their points for whatever reason.

9. Arwon

Arwon

Just letting you know that "Debating Chamber" is a terrible name, guys. Particularly if you've got things like the español 101 thread here.

What is latin for serious business? NEGOTIUM GRAVIS or something?

10. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

You know, in addition to what Mise said - I don't think that all of these are problems - I didn't blame "mods" for World History being dead. But if this reorg killed off OT - which, if it weren't a joke, it would be, and is - then that would be something to blame mods for.

11. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

All the 101 threads could have gone into Arts and Literature, but it it got named Arts and Entertainment, thereby killing the original idea behind it... :mischief:

12. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

Mods, why is the old OT still there?

13. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Interesting to see. I'm glad it's being tried out. Although I can't say I'm a fan of the name "The Debating Chamber".

I also like that this was announced within a day of April 1st. :goodjob:

14. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

We have a similar concept on www.gpforums.co.nz - Open Discussion (free-wheeling) and Current Events, Politics and Philosophy (and Religion) (Serious discussion). Generally the debates have to be well thought out arguments in the CEPP forum

15. metatron

metatron unperson

This.

There is actually stuff to be said in favor of the general concept of having a more loosely and a more tighly moderated OT running alongside. But the way this is being done is beyond reckless and incompetent.

Please get those 58k thread unlocked and to a living forum (or the other way round).
    Just do that. Now.

Not that there isn't other stuff wrong with this.
    If i'd care i would read into what nonsense you were thinking with the postcount nonsense. Just enable or diable it for the entire colloseum. I don't care.
    But decreeing that some OT posts are worth a pc+1 while others aren't... yeah, that will turn out to be great.

Edit:
    The nonsense about the nonsense. Yeah...that wasn't eloquent. *sigh*
    But i wanted to do long posts with lots of graphs and not deal with this anyway. Oh, but i can't cause everything is locked and i would have to pm a mod and before i'd do that i'd like to proofread stuff i wrote before. which i can't cause it's locked.
    And all this is really annoying... *sigh*

16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Why does it have to be Latin? It just sounds pretentious and is not very descriptive unless you're able to translate it. Why not simply call this forum "Serious Business"?

By the way, the German civ boards on civforum.de have a split similar to this, and the forums are called "Civilized [matters]" and "Discussion Corner".

Agree. Enable postcount again and merge it with the Tavern.

17. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

This.

18. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Yes, I was thinking about this last night after having to report a thread of mine to get it bumped, moved, and reopened. It makes no sense to have all the old OT threads locked. What I think should be done instead is to merge the OT light with the old OT and everything open as it was before. Then when an older thread is bumped, it can be moved or locked manually as necessary. As it stand right now, if someone has something of substance to add to an older thread, it's too much of a hassle and a lot of good posts won't get made. The random useless thread bump can be handled better by locking after the fact than preemptively.

19. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Erasing or hiding OT and losing all our threads would cause armed rebellion. There'd be pitchforks and torches. Likewise if they were moved to a PC-free forum.

Easy way to deal with OT #18:

20. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

At least it isn't in a dead language any more.